Initial impressions of the 2010 Buffalo Bills

Simon

I thought Evans hesitated because if he didn't he would have run right into that safety who was charging toward the line of scrimmage.

If you watch the second replay, you see #33 Bullitt backpedaling, then charging forward and immediately going to his left. On the third replay, you can see Johnson dragging across the middle and the guy on him is Bullitt. That's what he was running toward. Not the LOS. When the play fake was going on, which was immediate, Bullitt was backpedaling.

We really have been deprived of good offensive play calling for so long that it is a pleasure to see an HC/OC that knows how to use the strengths of the players he has. Good coaches will coach to the players they have, not to a scheme.

As stated, our lack of talent on the edges (OT, WR and TE) will be a factor that will be hard to overcome. Teams will try to disrupt our interior OL as well and they will focus on stopping the run and the short passes. Gailey will know that and will be continually planning new ways to strike the opponents defense. He looks to be the only HC/OC that we have had in past 10 years that is up to the challenge. Of course a QB that can lead the team and execute is a must. This is a due or die year for Edwards. He must be willing to make the throws.

I have expressed concerns about our OTs on many other threads. We shall see if Bell can play LT. If he can that will move the rebuilding project ahead by a very big factor.

I am disappointed in the TE's so far. Stupar looks "almost average" at best. Nelson appears to be a blocking liability and now he is out. Schouman can't stay healthy. Mathews is like an another OT -- we need a guy like that on the roster but he is not a playmaker. I doubt we have the right TE on the roster today.

Someone mentioned that WR #2, #3, and #4 will be by committee and I agree with that assessment. This is another area of need. To me Stevie looks slow for an NFL WR. Roscoe is a role player. Chad may be able to step up, someone has to.

On defense our starting DL of Edwards, Williams and Stroud looks good so far. The backups have a ways to go but Troup looks promising. The LBs look like a mixed bag still. We have more work to do upgrading the front 7 to fit the 3-4 scheme while still trying to find that pass rusher. I can't say that Maybin impresses me but I think we have to wait it out on him.

Everyone knows our strength is in the secondary.

I think we could win 8 games if we stay healthy and a few of the questions marks (QB, LT, WR, pass rush) turn out ok. It is also very possible that we play better and be more competitive than last year yet we win less than 6 games.