Way too many People reading into a Preseason Game...

MClem06

Okay, So I spent my morning reading the boards and 90% of the fans on it blasting the Bills on every aspect of the 1st preseason game against Washington. Yes I agree that it was a shameful display of functionality on the field but COME ON... it's the first preseason game. We should come into it knowing that all our starters weren't out there, we are working on getting continuity on both sides of the ball. They showed on the first drive that they had some clue on how to move the ball. We found out some great things in my opinion...

1) We may have picked up 2 impact players AGAIN that were undrafted (Nelson and Bell).

2) It really is an open competition for QB since Brohm is getting the next game 2nd string reps & if Trent stinks it up he'll be benched.

3) It's a known fact that Preseason is PRACTICE for the real deal. No one wants to give away their strategy for the season neither does Chan.

4)The 3-4 IS a better defensive scheme for our players and a key ingredient - POZ - was not in it. We did better against the run...

5) We can run well against any team in the NFL. Gailey isn't going to show his full playbook in preseason and right now he's trying to get the team playing on the same page... that's what Preseason is about ... winning is a bonus when you have all 3 strings out there in one game.

There are way too many people out there reading so far into this game it's stupid. PRESEASON is PRACTICE. Wait till the end of the first regular season game to judge.

I hear what your saying, and your right, but it's not like we were playing the saints. The same can be said for the redskins. New head coach, switching to a 3-4, missing starters. They just killed us in every part of the game. I can't remember ever seeing such a blow out in the preseason. Usually the starters come out (there a little rusty), the better team puts up 10 to 14 points, the back ups come in for each team, cancel each other out, maybe a odd touch down a couple of field goals. The game becomes boring and he go home with a 17 to 9 score or something like that. But holy smokes he got killed, they scored 6 TD. We couldn't even covert on 3rd down. There was even a point in the second quarter that Trent, CJ, Lee, Johnson, and Parrish were on the field with the Skins 2nd teamers and they went 3 and out. I know it's early, but it should have been closer. I really haven't seen any change in the team since Jauron was here.

Okay, So I spent my morning reading the boards and 90% of the fans on it blasting the Bills on every aspect of the 1st preseason game against Washington. Yes I agree that it was a shameful display of functionality on the field but COME ON... it's the first preseason game. We should come into it knowing that all our starters weren't out there, we are working on getting continuity on both sides of the ball. They showed on the first drive that they had some clue on how to move the ball. We found out some great things in my opinion...

1) We may have picked up 2 impact players AGAIN that were undrafted (Nelson and Bell).

2) It really is an open competition for QB since Brohm is getting the next game 2nd string reps & if Trent stinks it up he'll be benched.

3) It's a known fact that Preseason is PRACTICE for the real deal. No one wants to give away their strategy for the season neither does Chan.

4)The 3-4 IS a better defensive scheme for our players and a key ingredient - POZ - was not in it. We did better against the run...

5) We can run well against any team in the NFL. Gailey isn't going to show his full playbook in preseason and right now he's trying to get the team playing on the same page... that's what Preseason is about ... winning is a bonus when you have all 3 strings out there in one game.

There are way too many people out there reading so far into this game it's stupid. PRESEASON is PRACTICE. Wait till the end of the first regular season game to judge.

Yeah, gotta agree, there were a lot of positives from that game, and I think you covered just about all of them, our secondary looked really shaky though. Maybin showed some flashes as well. It really doesn't matter, cause the naysayers

are going to be heard, not much we can do about that, this board is full of them.

As I was watching the first drive, I thought, oh no, they're looking too good. Everyone is going to get too high on these guys and it's only the pre-season. Trent looks good, the line blocking ok with starters out, and the offense is moving the ball. Then a run to the 3 and the all too common flag bringing the play back, followed by a check down on 3rd and long. ah, everything back to normal. And it is only the first pre-season game, so no need to put too much stock in it. But the only thing that really concerns me is the QB position, it's the same as last year. New offense, old offense, doesn't matter when it's the same 2nd string at best QB's. I believe the Bills brass will address it next year and we'll have to suffer through another year of it, but it's still frustrating....

I don't think people are "freaking out", I think people just realize that this team is going to do pretty much what they thought and that is fine. A year like this one coming up has been looming for quite some time and it is just as well that we get it over with and understand the re-build is in full swing. As long as we have a QB by this time next year, all will be good......

I agree somewhat, but I expected more from Trent Edwards. I think above anything else, that's what gives Bills fans the doom/gloom. Just seeing the same ol from him.

I'll be looking for the defense to be faster this second game, with more reaction than thinking.

Totally agree there are many reasons to discount Friday's game. The problem is last year's pre-season turned out to be an omen for the rest of the season. There are 3 more games to right the ship. If we still look like crap then it will be another long season.

PTR

I agree somewhat, but I expected more from Trent Edwards. I think above anything else, that's what gives Bills fans the doom/gloom. Just seeing the same ol from him.

I'll be looking for the defense to be faster this second game, with more reaction than thinking.

I wanted to see better fundamentals from everyone since Chan is stressing them in camp.

PTR

No he didn't. He sucks. The entire team sucks. There are no positives nor will there ever be. Woe is us.

I sense sarcasm but the truth is there are very little positives.

This team needs to kick its losing mentality and getting smoked in the preseason does nothing to help in that endeavor.

It's gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOONG year.

I wanted to see better fundamentals from everyone since Chan is stressing them in camp.

PTR

Agree - that was the most disappointing part. I did not see any improvement in Trent's game, but again it is a bit early to judge. As far the overall effort goes, people are making much more of the first preseason game than can reasonably be made. I was disappointed like everyone else, but ina many ways that performance was to be expected. I hope to see progress next game. When the preseason is over, the collective body of work may tell us something, but that game was meaningless.

I sense sarcasm but the truth is there are very little positives.

This team needs to kick its losing mentality and getting smoked in the preseason does nothing to help in that endeavor.

It's gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOONG year.

Already knew how long it was going to be, PTS. This team has to try to shake off a decade of futility, and to think it would be done magically in one fell swoop is not very realistic. I'm not targeting a win total, or expecting 'em to bring home the hardware or any of that stuff. Before all that, the Bills need to improve in basic fundamental areas and work to the point where they can compete. They need to put together the offensive line they feel gives 'em a chance to compete, and then let 'em work together and become familiar w/ one another. They need to develop (or bring in) a QB who shows good poise, leadership, and toughness. They need to grasp the nuances of a defense they haven't used in over a decade, work in the personnel they need to make the scheme work for 'em, and then let it develop.

There's plenty of other things, such as coaching strategies (no timeouts before punts, wasting of challenges, or poor clock management PLEASE!!), conditioning, and creating the mindset that the organization isn't some sort of gulag. Plenty of stuff to work on, which is why I feel it will take some time to get it accomplished. That said, if they do have the right people in place in terms of the GM and coach, then maybe we'll see the Bills take the steps to get the franchise back into contention. The jury's still out on whether Nix and Gailey can get it done, but I'm hoping they can and will continue to support the team. Heck, if I can support 'em during the awful period in the mid 80s and in this current playoff drought, then I can support 'em through anything.

Same exact crap as last year.

Third and five for this team might as well be third and 25.

Defense allows way too many 3rd and long conversions and can't get off the field.

DB's play 10 yds. off their man. No pass rush.

Trent is bad.

For this team to be remotely worth watching, Chan has to figure "what would Dick J. do" and then do the opposite!

Instead, with the game already out of hand, he punts on third and a foot. He runs on 3rd and long in his own end.

Bad performance all around.

Every year I have hope. Then the season starts. :lol:

What about the Skins, the same can be said for them. We just got killed, by the Redskins. I'm willing to bet they weren't in mid season form, with all their starts, and a fully loaded playbook which they have been running for years. They were in the same situation and they kicked the crap out of us. I don't think we could beat buff state at this point.

This is the same soundtrack as last year. Many calling for "no concern" because it is preseason. Point is that the same problems that have been the downfall of the past many years were evident in the skins game. Primarily:

Poor QB play and very poor decisions on the part of the QB's

O-line looked very bad in pass protection

A lack of a true number two receiver

Stupid mistakes and penalties

Yes this is a new regime and the first game of preseason but the tune has not changed much.

Thanks for posting this, I agree 100% with what you've said! Pre-season means absolutely nothing, and I'd also like to add that with the starters in the score was only 7-3 for the skins, not 42-17. :ph34r:

How accurate was reading into preseason last year?