Okay, let me have it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly was Gailey thinking?

The Bills were down 21-3, they had just gotten a first down and a little momentum and are facing a 4th & inches in their own territory.

So Gailey sent them out there to try and get the Skins to jump offsides? They were up by 18 points. They are'nt worried about losing their lead.

IMO Gailey did nothing to boost the offense's confidence.

It's called situational practice. It was a preseason game. They might not get many more opportunities to go out and practice drawing a team OS before the games actually matter.

I'll admit it didnt look good yesterday, but what worries me more is the injuries, as Gailey said after the game by losing Jackson and Lynch early a lot of the game plan went down the drain, with 3 starters out on an O-line that's already green in game experience, they we're planning to do a lot of two-tailback sets.

Hopefully injuries arent too serious, we need to keep our starters healthy to have some kind of consistency going with our first unit, but it's not looking good right now injury wise...

I'm an optimist but favor a heavy dose of reality. This season I will mostly ignore the first 8 games (unless they can win more than 1 or 2) and focus on the second half of the season.

You've got an entirely new offensive system that will be scaled down to start the season with no major additions to the unproven quarterback, offensive line, and receiver postitions. They've completely altered their defensive system and terminology and are relying on rookie D-linemen and converted DE's to OLB.

Beyond the talent debate, it will simply take time for both sides of the ball to get comfortable calling and executing plays.

I'm expecting the offensive coordinator to be villified here shortly after the first game for being too "boring", when in reality they are running a base offense out of necessity.

You can still be an optimist PTR but give it time.

I know I was leading the TBD optimist's club lately. Everyone is invited to say "I told you so." Not throwing in the towel and we still have time to right things, but that was not the performance I was expecting to see, outside of the first offensive and defensive series. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

FYI I was at a show so I could only see a little TV from afar with no sound. So I have not seen the game in detail yet. I know the results though.

PTR

WR Marcus Easley, WR James Hardy, TE Derek Schouman, OT Demetrius Bell, OT Cornell Green, OT Ed Wang, OG Eric Wood, DE Spencer Johnson, SLB Chris Kelsay, SLB Danny Batten, WLB Paul Posluszny, WLB Keith Ellison, MLB Ryan Manalac

All did not play ...... Three starting O lineman, Two starting linebackers, +

So not all bad + Jackson and Lynch went out in the first series. so by my count thats 6 six starters or more that did not play.

I will not base our whole season on one preseason game. Keep your head up!

I know I was leading the TBD optimist's club lately. Everyone is invited to say "I told you so." Not throwing in the towel and we still have time to right things, but that was not the performance I was expecting to see, outside of the first offensive and defensive series. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

FYI I was at a show so I could only see a little TV from afar with no sound. So I have not seen the game in detail yet. I know the results though.

PTR

PTR, I am not going to do that. IMHO, it is not about being right or wrong. It is about the Bills trying to win games, being successful, and winning a super bowl. I cannot hold it against you or anyone else who has "high hopes" and optimism for the Bills. Logically, I don't understand it...It is only one preseason game but it did illustrate that we are a team in transition. Perhaps, many of the optimists here may have to temper or alter their thinking.

Bottom line is we as Bills fans are disappointed in that performance.

I give you major props for addressing the people here. The others are nowhere to be found...

Awwww, poor homers. Sad again.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I wonder if most of you even watch let alone understand this game.

How anyone can be optimistic is beyond me. Forget the offseason and preseason.

The regular season will be downright brutal, ugly, harsh, demoralizing, etc. for a fan of this 'team.'

Hope you all play fantasy football.

The whole idea of "meaningless" outcomes in preseason is literally true, but I can't help but think that being trounced like this doesn't have the effect of subtly reinforcing this culture of losing that's poisoned the team for so long. The "here we go again" kind of feeling that starts kicking in the second that one thing turns against the team in a game hangs over them like a big black cloud.

I wonder if this particular team (as opposed to others - like the old Bills, or better teams) really does need to place more value on the outcomes of these games. From a fan perspective it just feels like losing just reinforces losing, even though it's all "meaningless" in the standings.

I'll admit it didnt look good yesterday, but what worries me more is the injuries, as Gailey said after the game by losing Jackson and Lynch early a lot of the game plan went down the drain, with 3 starters out on an O-line that's already green in game experience, they we're planning to do a lot of two-tailback sets.

Hopefully injuries arent too serious, we need to keep our starters healthy to have some kind of consistency going with our first unit, but it's not looking good right now injury wise...

The REAL question is knowing that their OL s*cked so badly last season, how could the Bills "braintrust" ignore it by not picking a good OT with their 1st pick in this years draft? Or in round 2?? Or make a move to acquire one of the other OT's already mentioned in a zillion other posts via trade/free agency? Other teams make moves all the time - WHY don't the bills???

Granted there are too many problems on this team to fix in one offseason. But knowing that they had just hired a HC whose reputation is that of being a good OC, the Bills could have devoted the draft to fixing the offense at least. Get REAL. At least they might have been interesting to watch - not the same old boring, pathethic ineptness like we saw last night.

This team doesn't deserve our support ($). Nothing will change until Wilson dies and the team is sold (hopefully, to someone who cares and hopefully, to someone who will keep it in Buffalo) That is the "reality" of the situation.

PTR, I am not going to do that. IMHO, it is not about being right or wrong. It is about the Bills trying to win games, being successful, and winning a super bowl. I cannot hold it against you or anyone else who has "high hopes" and optimism for the Bills. It is only one preseason game but it did illustrate that we are a team in transition. Perhaps, many of the optimists here may have to temper or alter their thinking.

Bottom line is we as Bills fans are disappointed in that performance.

I have to agree with my nay-saying friend here. I was disappointed. Every phase of the game, offense, defense and special teams were awful. Injuries continue to confound us and once again Trent just cannot lead in adversity. It's preseason. They are learning a new offense and defense. I get it. But I am concerned that half our starters are injured and they are shaky to begin with. They need to play and play a lot. We know the team is lacking talent. That was evident. But this coaching staff needs to identify who can play and do it soon. If the talent level is not sufficient, it is time to look to other rosters for help to at least be presentable while we rebuild. Please don't rest the wounded and expect them to blossom opening day. I truly hope the QB battle is indeed still a contest. I saw no growth in Trent at all last night. So, on to Thursday. It can't get worse than last night......I hope.

first off, even though i keep it as positive as possible as a fan, i've never been expecting anything better than 5-11 this year. and i can be fine with that if i see some other types of changes from the team. mostly with the coaching, play-calling, and game planning, and also with a culture change. do our guys play tough football? after that, im not expecting much until we add some more talent to this team in the key positions we're missing right now (QB, Oline, WR).

that being said, it was the first preseason game. no big deal. both teams looked horrible at different times. no reason to feel bad yet. "yet" being the key word there.

but i hope everyone realizes that you CAN still be a positive fan even though you dont expect much from the team. it will only help you get through this season.

PTR

Promo -- My summary.

The only thing that mattered was the first quarter and we made mistakes. Stupar's holding killed a TD on a great first drive. Maybin's roughing the QB led to a TD for them.

Our OL was hurting on the right side with Cordaro Howard at RG and Chambers at RT. After a few series the Skins worked that side hard and it led to more mistakes, Trents pic, etc. Chambers got flagged twice for movement. He is just not very good.

We lost the real game with starters 10-3.

Our second team front 7 looked bad, even against their backups.

In the seocnd half our scrubs got beat by their scrubs.

Hence the score you see.

Maybin played the whole game. He is a project.

I was about to give you props for manning up... until you admitted that you were at a show. :beer:

Peter Case at an intimate dive like Sportsman's Tavern is a show one does not miss, especially when it's just pre-season game #1. Besides they had one TV on. Funny thing when Wash ran back the punt even Case said it was time to shut the game off and everyone cheered.

PTR

I have to agree with my nay-saying friend here. I was disappointed. Every phase of the game, offense, defense and special teams were awful. Injuries continue to confound us and once again Trent just cannot lead in adversity. It's preseason. They are learning a new offense and defense. I get it. But I am concerned that half our starters are injured and they are shaky to begin with. They need to play and play a lot. We know the team is lacking talent. That was evident. But this coaching staff needs to identify who can play and do it soon. If the talent level is not sufficient, it is time to look to other rosters for help to at least be presentable while we rebuild. Please don't rest the wounded and expect them to blossom opening day. I truly hope the QB battle is indeed still a contest. I saw no growth in Trent at all last night. So, on to Thursday. It can't get worse than last night......I hope.

They didn't have to win. They had to look like a football team. That is what I'm most disappointed in. That Chan's fundamentals did not translate onto the field. Yes, many excuses why. Bottom line is they looked awful. And as last year's pre-season showed us if you can't get it right even once with your starters playing then that's a bad sign for th real season.

3 more games to turn things around.

PTR

Too many bad things to make a full list, particularly when you consider our first string O played deep into the 2nd quarter, and I believe Washingtons 2nd string D played the 2nd quarter.

My biggest reality check came when it occurred to me that it looked like I was watching game 17 of last season instead of a team with a new direction. Particularly the clock management in the first half. That nonsense 4th and 1 and calling a timeout, then being out of timeouts with just under 8 minutes left in the half. Jauron ball part deux.

The good things I saw were the punting (still ... and thank God), the running backs looked respectable, and the biggest thing was that it was preseason game 1. Chan has not been a head coach for a while and has not been a head coach at the NFL level for a long while. I'll give him that game as a brain fart but he better by God improve before the regular season.

Peter Case at an intimate dive like Sportsman's Tavern is a show one does not miss, especially when it's just pre-season game #1. Besides they had one TV on. Funny thing when Wash ran back the punt even Case said it was time to shut the game off and everyone cheered.

PTR

Ah - I thought you meant, like, a Broadway musical. Never mind sir.