Jimmy Clausen

I am not bashing anybody here....and I glanced at the game briefly. Was he the same QB that fumbled the ball under center?

Yes

A rookie playing in his first NFL action bobbled an exchange with the center? HE'S A BUST!!!! Last I recall the QB center exchange involved 2 players.

Maybe you missed the part where John said "I am not bashing anybody here....and I glanced at the game briefly." I think he was asking a simple question.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

Keep in mind that we already have a highly regarded prospect just 2 years ago in Brohm who had yet to be evaluated fully for a season by our team and Trent who many at OBD still believed had upside. We were never going to fill all of our needs on this team in one season. Chan wanted to shore up the D and add a playmaker on offense in the first 2 rounds as I would guess he is looking for a powerful rushing attack and stout defense to build this team around.

Why use a high draft pick on a position that you dont even know is a true need? I have criticized Trent plenty and dont personally have a lot of faith in him, but even I will admit the offensive scheme and coaching for him has been just as bad as he has been. Chan liked Trent and wanted to see what he could get out of him, not to mention he was intrigued with Brohm. So why not let the new staff get a crack at developing these guys, and Chan has a good track record with QB's, and add key talent elsewhere before we use a high pick on this position.

Not to mention, everyone passed on Cluassen, and many more than once, so the analysis on him obviously wasnt as good as what many posters on here thought. Next years class is much deeper and may even have a rookie cap, so if there was ever a year to try and develop our guys first, this was it because its this staffs first year, we are rebuilding, and next years class looks to be better and we wont have to wager our financial future on an unproven QB (see Oak: Russell)...

Claussen may turn out to be a good QB, no one knows for sure during the draft, but he obviously had enough queston marks to force many QB needy teams to pass on him more than once.

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

I watched quite a few highlights.. he forced just about every pass.. I didn't think he looked that good at all. I don't blame him for the INT.. but still don't think he was impressive. I was ok with us drafting him in the 2nd, now I'm glad we didn't.

That was a good performance because he looked comfortable. He looked like a guy who is gonna be a starter soon. None of the QB's the Bills have drafted lately have looked that comfortable in their initial performance.

I dunno.. people that are comfortable don't whip out side arm fluttering passes.. which is what I saw a lot of..

Don't forget Clausen has a much better supporting cast. Has a much better offensive line in which he is working behind.

I'm not sure any QB would look good without a decent Oline.

I wish Clausen the best, and had been hoping we would take him in round 2, but there is a lot of Brady Quinn to the situation, so we will have to see.

But I think that in 2010 Trent is a better alternative to Clausen. And since Trent was already on the roster I think that Trent + Troup are more valuable than Clausen would have been. If the 2011, 2012 Clausen has us regretting that decision only time will tell, but running a 3-4 without Troup would certainly be a little trickier, and I'm expecting a solid Trent this year even if he is not spectacular. And I will go as far as say that I would put it at only 50/50 we will be considering a first round QB in the 2011 draft.

That was a good performance because he looked comfortable. He looked like a guy who is gonna be a starter soon. None of the QB's the Bills have drafted lately have looked that comfortable in their initial performance.

Yea well we have Levi Brown. Hes a bad mamma jamma. Whats Clausen got on that?

As I have posted before the decision not to drafrt Clausen was made the moment they decided to switch to a 3-4 defense. Williams is not a true NT. They had to get a NT and by all reports Troup looks good so far in camp. Could they have gotten Clausen in the second round and Troup in the third perhaps. The DT projected to be a NT from North Carolina lasted until the fourth round I think. Still it seems to me they were reasonably happy with Trent and saw NT as a bigger need,

I would argue that Trent looked comfortable in his rookie season, and the first part of his second. I can recall Rich Gannon and others gushing about his poise his rookie season. He was 11-5 as a starter at the point of the San Diego game in 2008. His stats weren't glorious by any means, and people will argue the point about the strength of opposition, but he could manage games and the team was winning with him. The last season and a half has taken the shine off of him, but he looked in control and like he could develop early on. IIRC in the game JP went down, even though we were destroyed by NE*, TE didn't look horribly out of place, and that was against a real team that was intent on winning that game, not against a combination of second and third string players in the preseason.

Pay no attention to the past ten years or so - it was just a minor blip.

And you think from what we knew during the draft that Clausen was head shoulders better than TE or Brohm and warranted a high pick? Really? Just because we have QB issues doesn't mean you burn a high pick on a guy that has as many holes in his game as the guys we have - who were both bright young prospects two and five years ago.

I watched a bit of the game and wasn't overly impressed with Clausen. What was EXTREMELY irritating, however, was that ridiculous halftime spot where Chucky Gruden lectured Clausen across the film room table. Jesus, that was annoying.

Clausen's passes were not particularly sharp, and the ball wobbled ridiculously. I can just imagine those balls in the RWS wind in November and December. No thanks.

But mpl6876 (codename: troll) likes Clausen, so we should all be thankful for that.

So let me get this straight. Trent Edwards had a 99.9 Qb rating as a rookie and is now a bum. However, the 3rd Qb off the board behind a guy who missed the entire year & another guy who has to learn how to throw again in one of the worst qb drafts ever is now a star? A star after a 41 qb rating, an average of 5.3 (way worse than Trent, checkdown clausen), led his team to a robust 3 points, all against a team that had the most banged up secondary in the NFL? What kind of logic is this? I hate fans sometimes.

So let me get this straight. Trent Edwards had a 99.9 Qb rating as a rookie and is now a bum. However, the 3rd Qb off the board behind a guy who missed the entire year & another guy who has to learn how to throw again in one of the worst qb drafts ever is now a star? A star after a 41 qb rating, an average of 5.3 (way worse than Trent, checkdown clausen), led his team to a robust 3 points, all against a team that had the most banged up secondary in the NFL? What kind of logic is this? I hate fans sometimes.

It was a 1st preseason game.

Tonight, if Spiller goes 5 for 3 yards, and Troup has 0 tackles, I guess we need to flush both of 'em down the commode...

This thread is too funny. Really. 1 preseason game and people are already annointing Clausen as the QB the Bills should have picked and the savior of the Carolina Panthers? Come on. I bet Levi Brown looks every bit as good as Clausen in tonight's game. (and frankly, I did not think he looked that good)

Thank you homeboy. Well said! We need the regular season before people go crazy. This is the anonymous internet version of training camp fights that pop up because people get tired of hitting their own teammates.

Did I say Edwards had a tight spiral? :thumbsup:

Clausen is not any better than any of our QB's, so that's why Troup was the better choice. Like others are saying, this fix is a couple years down the road with all the holes in our roster. I think we'll be in prime position to draft Locker, Mallett, or a stud LT.

I'm not saying you did. I was merely using it an an opportunity to point out the fact that his spiral does indeed suck. Check my sig. I'm with you about next years draft. From what little I know about college ball there appear to be a bunch of big arm QBs in next years draft. Some with size. Some with mobility. I heard the hype about Locker and was intrigued by the guy having the big arm and the athleticism. He also stayed for his senior year and was running a pro offense and wants to improve how he reads defenses and become an even better pro candidate. Troup should end up being good. I'm not pissed about the pick but I think Cody would have been a better choice. The Ravens have shown a thing or 10 about making good defensive draft picks including taking Ngata after we passed on him to take Whitner.

Yes

Maybe you missed the part where John said "I am not bashing anybody here....and I glanced at the game briefly." I think he was asking a simple question.

Nah I didn't. I was just making light of it and running my mouth.