Jimmy Clausen

That was a good performance because he looked comfortable. He looked like a guy who is gonna be a starter soon. None of the QB's the Bills have drafted lately have looked that comfortable in their initial performance.

What QBs drafted "lately" by the Bills are you referring to? Levi Brown? You've seen him play already? Wow I must've missed that. Trent Edwards? In his first career start in 2007 he went 22-28 for 234 yds with 1 TD and 1 Int.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is too funny. Really. 1 preseason game and people are already annointing Clausen as the QB the Bills should have picked and the savior of the Carolina Panthers? Come on. I bet Levi Brown looks every bit as good as Clausen in tonight's game. (and frankly, I did not think he looked that good)

Too early to evaluate him too. But this year is the year when people will see one way or the other ... at last he has a shot. His last shot to be a starter, most likely.

However, even at Notre Dame, Quinn simply wasn't as good as Clausen. Clausen improved every year, and his last year was insane. Quinn got worse his third year and never had a year remotely like Clausen's most recent.

I agree and that's fine; I'm just pointing out Jimmy's not the first to come out of that so-called pro system ready to play. But, for people to think that one mediocre-at-best preseason performance makes this guy better than the current Bills QB staff is absolutely absurd. It's just another symptom of the everyday TSW Edwards bashing, and it's probably THE most ridiculous example of it yet.

To me, Clausen looked very average last night. While I give him props for his pocket presence as he didn't seemed phased at all by the pressure, he made some VERY questionable throws that would have been easily picked off had he been playing against a first string defense.

That's a good sign, IMO.

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

Wanker-Punk Clausen looked better than anyone on our team? Seriously?? Did you get a good look at him???

Clausen

What QBs drafted "lately" by the Bills are you referring to? Levi Brown? You've seen him play already? Wow I must've missed that. Trent Edwards? In his first career start in 2007 he went 22-28 for 234 yds with 1 TD and 1 Int.

Not to mention that he also looked very comfortable in taking over for Losman in his rookie season. People forget that he was 6 and 1 in his first 7 games in the NFL. Not stellar statistics, but able to manage a game. He was actually named to the all rookie team at the end of the season. He then started off 5 and 1 the next season. Who knows if he can get his head back now after the misery of the last season and a half, but c'mon, these statistics alone makes the whole "Clausen is better based on a quarter + of barely adequate preseason football" idea seem just absurd.

I actually thought his throwing motion looked awkward, with more than one pass wobbling its way to the reciever. I was not impressed. Plus, could he have looked any dimmer than he did during that segment with Gruden.

I was happy as hell that we didn't draft him...and I still am.

+1

With the way his balls were wobbling, he would get eaten up by the frequent windy conditions in Buffalo. I'm happier with Troup on our roster. Clausen was mediocre at best, IMO.

i watched some games, not alot though. he just looks average to me. he doesnt seem to have alot of zip when he throws. they just look like floaters.

I'm definitely biased, but I will say that throwing strength is not a knock that I've ever heard on Clausen. I've watched Clausen for the past 3 years, and noodle arm he is not. Any floaters I've seen him chuck up were desperation throws as he was getting destroyed by his porous O-line in his freshman and sophomore years (which might fall under the domain of poor decision making). However, I might be going out on limb here, but I really believe he was the best QB in college football this past year, and possibly in the draft as well.

Did I want the Bills to take him? Absolutely. I was consoled by Spiller (once in a decade talent, and the absolute best player in the draft judged solely on his college career) and Torrell Troup (a solid player at a position of big need). But Clausen really has the potential for greatness. I don't have a crystal ball handy, but I think that for all the knocks on this year's QB class, it'll emerge as one of the best we've seen in a while, including next year's, Ryan Mallett excepting (and yes, I HAVE heard of Jake Locker).

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

Clausen had a very pedestrian rookie debut in a preseason game ... nothing to salivate over!

I have heard positive things about his camp so far but ... it's too early. We all know about quarterbacks who have looked like the next Peyton Manning in training camp and preseason games and have fallen flat on their faces.

All that being said ... 30 other teams passed on Jimmy boy. It might have been his cockiness who knows ... but we were not alone in passing on this kid.

As a BILLS' fan, I sure would love to see Trent turn around under Gailey because he was getting those kind of raves from his first training camp and from his performances in his first preseason games. If not, then perhaps Levi is the answer.

Clausen is not and will never be a Buffalo Bill so let's get over that one ...

As a Notre Dame fan I got to see a lot of Clausen. I never had the feeling that he'd make it as an NFL QB. The guy could prove me and a lot of other critics wrong, but he hasn't done it yet.

I understand the idiots who spell his name Clausssssen

I understand the idiots who think he is the same as Brady Quinn

I understand the idiots who read that he showed up in a limo 4 years ago and made their opinion then

I understand the idiots who don't like him because they don't like ND

They didn't see him play.

But as a Notre Dame fan, who saw what he did the last year, what didn't you like about his game? He was the most accurate QB I've seen in years. He made maybe, 5-6 mistakes all season. If he had been on a team with a top-30 defense or a good coach, they would have made a NC run and he'd have won the Heisman.

I'm not calling you an idiot at all, so please don't take it that way. If Clausen busts out, it won't be the first time I've been wrong. But it would still be a surprise. And if you saw him play a lot, I can't understand how it wouldn't be.

This thread is too funny. Really. 1 preseason game and people are already annointing Clausen as the QB the Bills should have picked and the savior of the Carolina Panthers? Come on. I bet Levi Brown looks every bit as good as Clausen in tonight's game. (and frankly, I did not think he looked that good)

+1

+1

With the way his balls were wobbling, he would get eaten up by the frequent windy conditions in Buffalo. I'm happier with Troup on our roster. Clausen was mediocre at best, IMO.

Give the kid a break, it was his first live NFL action. His knees were probably knocking a bit, which can cause your balls to wobble. From a football perspective, not much of a tight spiral, though. :thumbsup:

It's one preseason game so lets not go crazy. The guy did look pretty confident though and I liked that he had the balls to throw deep over the middle. I didn't know his arm was quite that strong. :thumbsup: Certainly better than Edwards, Fitz and possibly Brohm. He could develop into something.

On another note Terrence Cody the DT I thought we would get in the second looked pretty good. Torrell Troup BETTER kick some ass or we will have passed on two guys that I would have beet ecstatic to get in the second round.

+1

LOL. Have you seen Trent,s deep ball? Lame ducks laugh at it. It looks drunk flying through the air. Just take a look at highlights on buffalobills.com if you don't believe me.

I am not bashing anybody here....and I glanced at the game briefly. Was he the same QB that fumbled the ball under center?

A rookie playing in his first NFL action bobbled an exchange with the center? HE'S A BUST!!!! Last I recall the QB center exchange involved 2 players.

LOL. Have you seen Trent,s deep ball? Lame ducks laugh at it. It looks drunk flying through the air. Just take a look at highlights on buffalobills.com if you don't believe me.

Did I say Edwards had a tight spiral? :thumbsup:

Clausen is not any better than any of our QB's, so that's why Troup was the better choice. Like others are saying, this fix is a couple years down the road with all the holes in our roster. I think we'll be in prime position to draft Locker, Mallett, or a stud LT.