Jimmy Clausen

You're right and I'm not saying it will happen 100%. I just never got wowed by the guy. My reasons:

- He had a top 5 receiving core. I believe the special Qbs have to carry average talent.

- A great OC (terrible head coach) who made Quinn into a 1st rounder

- Pete Carroll who gameplanned for him for several years passed on him twice. So did mike holmgrem and his own college coach who know a thing about NFL Qbs.

- ND played a really weak schedule and his best games came against terrible pass defenses.

- his upbringing. Held back twice to gain an edge and would have been 24 as a rookie if he decided to stay for his true senior year. Also, I get the Marvonich vibe because of the private QB tutors since childhood. QBs aren't made in a lab. They are made on a football field.

- his record in college was a losing one. Obviously, it's a team stat but college QBs have an insane impact on their teams. Cutler had a losing college record and still hasn't had a winning one in the pros.

- The draft. Terrible draft for QBs and that's the reason he got as much play as he did. And McDaniels trading up Tebow, who has to learn how to throw again, speaks volumes.

- Finally, his attitude. Downplay it all you want, guys don't play for pricks and guys they don't like. See Losman, Cutler, and George.

Don't mean to hate on the guy but I'm so glad the Bills passed on him. I would take any of the possible Qbs from next years draft - Locker, Luck, Mallett, Pryor, Jerrod Johnson, Ponder- over Clausen. If turns out to be a stud, I'll admit I was wrong. But I got a similar vibe from Leinart and he was a winner in college. They are guys I want to build our franchise around.

C Biscuit, I would like to address some of your points. Firstly, I do not know how successful Clausen will be in the NFL. As we all know, it is very very difficult to know which college QB's will be good to great NFL QB's. That has been discussed here over and over.

- He had a top 5 receiving core. I think it is unfair for you to use this as a negative against him. Perhaps, he made the receiving core better? Secondly, I am not so sure that his receiving core was as good as you classify it.

- A great OC Some would say that makes him more NFL ready. Some would use this as a positive. Again, I don't think this is a valid point. So any QB with a great OC loses value? Vice versa?

- Pete Carrol passed on him Who really cares what Pete Carrol thinks. He is a cheater and a liar. Isn't he the same coach that went to bat for Sanchez and Lienert? It has been said here before and I will repeat it. It doesn't matter who and how many teams passed on the guy. That doesn't mean he won't be successful. It is a flawed argument.

- his upbringing Wow, you are really looking for any reason not to like the guy. Of course, QB's aren't made in a lab. There is plenty of film to watch. I see a QB who can make all the throws needed to play in the NFL. I don't see a robotic QB at all. I wonder if Archie Manning helped his son's learn the QB position? Wondering if your same logic applies to them?

- his record in college was a losing one Come on Biscuit. How bout saying he played on a team that wasn't very good and he made them better and more competitive. You said it yourself it is a team state but yet you want to use this against him. Another unfair criticism. You yourself pointed out Cutler...

- McDaniels hasn't proved anything. In fact, some including myself would say he has ruined that team for years. I wouldn't use him as an example to strengthen my points of view.

- I am going to downplay what you say as him being a "prick." I just don't know the validity of that statement. I have seen very little to support these claims. Secondly, I don't believe JP's attitude had anything to do with his lack of success in the NFL. I think it was inability to read defenses and the lack of protection to name a few. Cutler's problem isn't his attitude either. I will agree with George. However, I do not see the similarities between the two. Unfair comparison.

Sure sounds like you are trying to hate the guy? Maybe, I am wrong there. Too many variables to consider right now with the current crop of college QB's. IMHO, too early to say that I would rather have so and so ahead of Clausen. I will reserve that train of thought after the college season. You do mention Pryor and I think he stinks! I have seen him play many times and I haven't been impressed. He isn't even close to being an NFL QB.

Edited by mpl6876

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic