Brandon Spikes

I said back during the draft that I thought this guy was gonna be a very good player. I was hoping the Bills would pick him up at some point. Now, I read this report from Camp...and it sounds like this guy is going to terrorize us for the next 10 years, and he will become somebody we absolutely cannot stand.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...&id=5443212

• In each of the past two years, the Patriots have had 12 draft picks. All of last year's picks are back in this camp, giving New England an infusion of youth few teams in the league have. A number of second-year players -- offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer, safety Patrick Chung, middle linebacker Tyrone McKenzie and wide receivers Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman -- are ready to become the next generation of Patriots.

This year's class is already making a mark as well. Belichick never would come out and say it, but the rookie making a big mark in camp is former Florida standout linebacker Brandon Spikes. When Belichick says someone is an interesting player to coach and that he sees things that other players don't, that's coachspeak for this guy has the chance to be the Real Deal.

I think Tate and Edelman are going to become big weapons too.

New England is not losing much ground folks...Buffalo might be gaining...but no other AFCE team is falling.

Florida players don't turn out to be much lately. We'll see with these guys. They took Cunningham, a mediocre SEC DE from Florida, Spikes, a LB who is slow but instinctive, and Aaron Hernandez, a receiving only TE, all from Florida this year. Seriously, look at Florida's recent history in the NFL, not so good. Also, Pats' recent drafts, not so good.

It's great that New England is getting some solid LB's through the draft but their OL is rapidly becoming a disaster. A combination of age, injuries and hold-outs is going to get their QB put in the hospital.

Good thing they're stockpiling on the defensive side of the ball because their offense might just suck.

It's great that New England is getting some solid LB's through the draft but their OL is rapidly becoming a disaster. A combination of age, injuries and hold-outs is going to get their QB put in the hospital.

Good thing they're stockpiling on the defensive side of the ball because their offense might just suck.

As long as they don't have a replacement for Seymour, they can load up on all the LB's they want. :P

That's interesting. I heard the knock on Spikes was that he was lacking in foot speed. Maybe combine run times aren't as important as we'd like to think.

Let's just hope he doesn't eye gouge anyone in the NFL like he did in the SEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0garYRQ_0

I think lacking foot speed is an understatement with Spikes...He ran a 5.01 at his Pro Day...

I'm not saying the Kid can't play in the box...But I'll promise you this much...CG will be looking for any way possible to get that Kid in coverage vs Spiller...

Oh my!!! :P

reallly? because i live in new england and no one seems to be remotely excited about him. in fact everyone up here seems to be down right terrified about the d-line and linebackers going into the season. spikes is way too slow.

The Patriot drafts have been particulalry bad as of late with few if any later round picks making any impact. Had they not hit the lottery with Brady in the 6th round they would get a C+. They did well with Seymour and Wilfork. Mayo looks like he will be very good. All of these were first ounders. Much of their team in years past has been built by FA. In fact one could argue they have been the best team at FA analysis, acquisition, and salary management. The exception that proves the rule is Adalius Thomas.

The Patriot drafts have been particulalry bad as of late with few if any later round picks making any impact. Had they not hit the lottery with Brady in the 6th round they would get a C+. They did well with Seymour and Wilfork. Mayo looks like he will be very good. All of these were first ounders. Much of their team in years past has been built by FA. In fact one could argue they have been the best team at FA analysis, acquisition, and salary management. The exception that proves the rule is Adalius Thomas.

I agree. It seems Pioli was the one with the eye for talent. I'm far from impressed with how NE decided to use the insane number of draft picks the last three or four years.

They still play a fine game to obtain those draft picks but for the most part I think they don't have a high batting avg or one where you would think we're screwed.

I said back during the draft that I thought this guy was gonna be a very good player. I was hoping the Bills would pick him up at some point. Now, I read this report from Camp...and it sounds like this guy is going to terrorize us for the next 10 years, and he will become somebody we absolutely cannot stand.

• In each of the past two years, the Patriots have had 12 draft picks. All of last year's picks are back in this camp, giving New England an infusion of youth few teams in the league have. A number of second-year players -- offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer, safety Patrick Chung, middle linebacker Tyrone McKenzie and wide receivers Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman -- are ready to become the next generation of Patriots.

This year's class is already making a mark as well. Belichick never would come out and say it, but the rookie making a big mark in camp is former Florida standout linebacker Brandon Spikes. When Belichick says someone is an interesting player to coach and that he sees things that other players don't, that's coachspeak for this guy has the chance to be the Real Deal.

I think Tate and Edelman are going to become big weapons too.

New England is not losing much ground folks...Buffalo might be gaining...but no other AFCE team is falling.

Well if this guy works out for the Pats* then he's one of the few Billy Bellicheat has hit on in the last few years. The Pats* drafts have been horrible. Only their mystique keeps people from criticizing them.

PTR

Whoopee. In 2006, the Bills had 6 rookies either starting or seeing significant playing time. In 2010, how's that working out for us?

To many idiots automatically equate young/youth as being "better".

As others have already pointed out, Spikes is slow. He was slow by college standards. With that in mind, see above.

I watched just abouut every fla game and spikes is not only too slow, but also not very good playing the run. Basically he was great at making plays when florida was playing with a huge lead and the other team had to pass. Very good in zone coverage and and going after the qb, and if there was a chance to make a big play, he almost always made the most of it. However, if he had to cover RBs one on one out of the backfield he almost always got burned. And if the other team was running the ball he was either late in pursuit or getting pushed back. This was most evident in the SEC championship. I was terrified of the Bills drafting this guy.

That's interesting. I heard the knock on Spikes was that he was lacking in foot speed. Maybe combine run times aren't as important as we'd like to think.

Let's just hope he doesn't eye gouge anyone in the NFL like he did in the SEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0garYRQ_0

It's always nice when a player you root against joins a team you root against.

I love it when guys on this board go for the "I told you so" just because a rookie we "should have drafted" is getting complimented by reporters during training camp.

If you went back and looked through my post history....you would see...

A. I wanted Brandon Spikes LONG before the draft.

B. I said that IF we changed to a 3-4, Whitner would become a Pro-Bowl caliber Safety...and NOW that he is getting rave reviews from training camp, EVERYBODY is jumping on the bandwagon.

C. I spoke of Cameron Wake LONG before he was mentioned on here....now he is a player, and somebody in the last couple days around here, was stating how we didnt know anything about him...and should picked him up.

* I am not one of your guys on this board who go for the "i told you so"....for ANYTHING. I am somebody who knows alot about football and I can tell when a player is going to be something special...most of the time. But, the type of person you are comparing me to and the type of person YOU are.....are the main reasons I very rarely even visit this site anymore, let alone post on it. So you want some "I told you so moments"??? Here ya go...

1. Brandon Spikes will be a pro-bowl player by year 2-3.

2. Donte Whitner will be a pro-bowler (if Reed and Sanders are hurt).

3. Marshawn Lynch will be the Bills leading rusher in 2010-2011.

4. Cameron Wake will rack up close to double-digit sacks this year.

5. Aaron Maybin WILL rack up double-digit sacks this year.

There's FIVE for ya.....now go suck at life somewhere else!