If Dallas cuts Roy Williams (WR)

major

I never want to see a player fail but I do not believe Roy Williams will find much success throughout the remainder of his career. I do not know if he would be an upgrade to any WR we have due to salary demands, however, he may be able to fill an X roll allowing Lee to be the Y that he naturally is...

I'd like to see our young recievers get some playing time, though. As it stands now we're going to see some cuts that might be mistakes - Jones, Roosevelt, and the other rookie - not Easley - have looked pretty good. So, if Williams would take a much lesser contract, and if he showed he still had "it", then I'd say he'd have to really look far better than our young guys. In the event he did, I could see Gailey cherishing the opportunity to take a Cowboy castoff and turn him into gold.

I just looked at the Cowboy's roster... dang, those 'boys gonna be hard to stop. That could be a probowl offense there, with Roy Williams, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Patrick Clayton, Witten, Romo, Felix Jones, Choice, and Barber. Their Defense is real good. If they aren't in the Super Bowl, a whole bunch of guys are slacking and getting canned. And their O.C. is creative, too. The NFC playoffs are going to be nasty this year. Saints, Vikings, Packers, Cowboys, the other two wild card NFC East teams. Some high powered offenses.

just because you have heard of a player before does not mean he is an upgrade for the Bills

This the key for the Bills whether he is an upgrade over what they currently have.

Based on the press he has gotten it seems likely not.

However, it does not matter one bit whether he is another Texas wipebutt or whatever name one wants to call him, the key question is whether he is an upgrade over our lead candidate for #2 WR Johnson who regressed statistically across the board last year. Is he an upgrade over Parrish who I think has demonstrated he deserves a shot at the #3 job but I think is quite doubtful to be the #2 we need.

Is he an upgrade over two time disappointment Hardy or over rookie Easley.

Even though it is not harder to show more talent than any of our candidates, thee is a character question which can only be measured by shaking the hand and looking in the eye of the player (and not by some pronouncement from some armchair internet guru like us.

Should we sign Williams if possible? Well we certainly have a large hole at #2 WR and it is up to Gailey and the braintrust to meet him when he hits FA and decide on whether he is an upgrade or not.

I just looked at the Cowboy's roster... dang, those 'boys gonna be hard to stop. That could be a probowl offense there, with Roy Williams, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Patrick Clayton, Witten, Romo, Felix Jones, Choice, and Barber. Their Defense is real good. If they aren't in the Super Bowl, a whole bunch of guys are slacking and getting canned. And their O.C. is creative, too. The NFC playoffs are going to be nasty this year. Saints, Vikings, Packers, Cowboys, the other two wild card NFC East teams. Some high powered offenses.

This could have been cut and pasted from last year's preseason. Bryant is the only new addition, and rookie WRs rarely make a huge impact. Romo -- despite the gaudy regular season stats -- still has yet to prove he's a playoff QB.

And yes, if that entire roster were wearing the red, white, royal blue, navy blue, and silver of the Buffalo Bills I'd be enthusiastic.

I liked him a lot in Detroit.

Same here, I thought he was on the verge of breaking out as a top WR. From a talent perspective, he's an obvious upgrade for the Bills, but it seems unlikely he'd accept a modest contract and be the kind of humble, hard working veteran this team needs.

Huh? Are you forgetting that Benny Hill is the figure head and Jones is the coach of the team. The only good players you listed was Miles and Witten, thats it. Chokeomo is looking at year 7 in the NFL. Yep he sat on the bench for 4 years before the Bleedsoe blowup. He ain't getting better, but worse.

I'd like to see our young recievers get some playing time, though. As it stands now we're going to see some cuts that might be mistakes - Jones, Roosevelt, and the other rookie - not Easley - have looked pretty good. So, if Williams would take a much lesser contract, and if he showed he still had "it", then I'd say he'd have to really look far better than our young guys. In the event he did, I could see Gailey cherishing the opportunity to take a Cowboy castoff and turn him into gold.

Yep....young is the way to go. Williams is nearing 30 yrs. The Bills offensive line would need to

be much stronger to allow HIM to get him down field and their QB to find him.

Had a few good years in a pass happy Lions offense (1300 yards in 2006 and 838 yards in 12 games in 2007) and was solid in his first two years as a Lion (817 yards and 8 TD's his rookie year in 11 starts and 687 yards 8 TD's in 12 starts in his second season) but he has fallen off a cliff as a Cowboy in 2008 he had an atrocious year and had a bad year last season with 500ish yards and 8 TD's (Nice TD total but his receptions and yards indicated that he wasn't a consistent factor in the offense).

If the Cowboys release him I would pick him up the guy is 28 which isn't too old. He is a big receiver (6 foot 3) who could complement Evans he played good with Jon Kitna which means he doesn't need a great QB to be successful. Williams is worth a shot honestly I know there is a lot of well just because you have heard of him doesn't make him better.

But be honest is there any receiver on our roster that is going to catch 8 TD's like Williams did last season? As much as I want to give guys like Johnson and Hardy a chance I think its too much of an upgrade to pass up Williams for nothing.

Let me just say that we should at least look at him if he is indeed cut. This guy has produced, and even on bad teams with bad quarterbacks. For whatever reason, he has not worked out in Dallas. I am a BIG supporter of giving our young guys some playing time to see what we have and if we need to address a position next year.

However, Roy is just 28, so if he did find his form again he could be a long term answer at WR, unlike some aging vet like TO was. This guy not only produced in Det, but was a highlight reel making all kinds of incredible catches. So, he has talent, but something has happened since he got to Dallas. Either he just hasnt been able to settle into that offense or lost some confidence (or a combo of both), but he was a playmaker and for more than one fluke season. In fact, at this point, he has had more good seasons than bad.

So, if he is cut, he would be a very attractive player to bring in and see what he can do given his age and the ability he has shown in the past. Not to mention, he has good size too. He is about the only WR on the market I would endorse bringing in over our young guys though...If he struggles, then cut him and roll with our young core, and I do like the potential of our young guys.

I don't think he will get cut, if they wanna dump him they will find someone who will give up a 6th or 7th round pick, which would be embarrasing after what they gave up for him not too long ago. He did manhandle the Bills a few years ago when they played in Detroit, he made the Bills look like little boys.

I don't think he will get cut, if they wanna dump him they will find someone who will give up a 6th or 7th round pick, which would be embarrasing after what they gave up for him not too long ago. He did manhandle the Bills a few years ago when they played in Detroit, he made the Bills look like little boys.

I don't know if they would be able to dump his salary via a trade. I am sure talent wise a team would give up a 5-7th round selection but they don't want him at the ridiculous salary he makes.

This the key for the Bills whether he is an upgrade over what they currently have.

However, it does not matter one bit whether he is another Texas wipebutt or whatever name one wants to call him, the key question is whether he is an upgrade over our lead candidate for #2 WR Johnson who regressed statistically across the board last year. Is he an upgrade over Parrish who I think has demonstrated he deserves a shot at the #3 job but I think is quite doubtful to be the #2 we need.

Even though it is not harder to show more talent than any of our candidates, thee is a character question which can only be measured by shaking the hand and looking in the eye of the player (and not by some pronouncement from some armchair internet guru like us.

Should we sign Williams if possible? Well we certainly have a large hole at #2 WR and it is up to Gailey and the braintrust to meet him when he hits FA and decide on whether he is an upgrade or not.

It's not close. If you think he is an upgrade then you're deluding yourself because you have heard his name before..possibly on ESPN.

If Roy Williams were to be cut by the Cowboys, I would not be upset to see the Bills sign him to, what would surely be, a minimal contract. I know, everyone here has come to the conclusion that he sucks, but, they forget, he has played the bulk of his career with a very dysfunctional Lions team, and did have at least one very productive season. He is experienced, and, if he played the way he is capable of, is the ideal type of receiver, size wise, that the Bills need, to counter Lee Evans.

And while we are discussing Bills WR's, if you take into account that Williams played 11 fewer games than Lee Evans, they actually have pretty similar career stats. Evans has about 700 more yards, and 2 more td's in 11 more games. I love Evans, so this is in no way a slam on him....just making the point that you can't judge everything in sports by production...context is important too...and I seriously doubt that anyone here watched Roy Williams extensively, while he was in Detroit.

You're close but you left out one thing.

It's not only a matter of whether a veteran free agent is an upgrade or not.

The braintrust also has to calculate whether giving a starting job to a veteran free agent like Roy Williams or Adalius Thomas, or Flozell Adams, etc will retard the development of a younger player on the roster who may quickly become a better player than the (fading) veteran free agent Roy Williams, Adalius Thomas, or Flozell Adams.

If he's only marginally better and/or will slow the development of a promising young player then he's probably not worth it.

That's the part that many people forget. Nix and Gailey seem very intent on seeing what they have first.

The other compelling reason why you bring in a veteran free agent besides upgrading the talent level is when you are changing systems and you need players who are familiar with the system so they can teach the younger players. The Bills have signed three such free agents, Andre Davis, Dwan Edwards, Reggie Torbor.

Roy Williams doesn't really meet this last criteria.

It's not close. If you think he is an upgrade then you're deluding yourself because you have heard his name before..possibly on ESPN.

Are you being serious Roy Williams caught 8 TD's last year and has a resume from his Lions days that is pretty impressive. Factor in the fact that he isn't that old (28) and who on our roster currently is better then Roy Williams? Hardy who has injury issues, route running issues, and speed issues? Johnson who has never done anything in the NFL besides show brief glimpses of potential once in a blue moon? Parrish who is a slot receiver at best? Or Easley a rookie 4th round pick who up until a breakout senior year was a special teams phenomenon?

Come on our talent at WR outside of Evans sucks bringing in Roy Williams is an upgrade over the rest of our receivers which consists of 1 proven player who has only proven that he is a slot receiver at best and a bunch of young guys who have shown nothing over their NFL careers.

Just because a guy is a name doesn't always mean he isn't an upgrade seriously look at our number two WR's they are pretty bad.

The braintrust also has to calculate whether giving a starting job to a veteran free agent like Roy Williams or Adalius Thomas, or Flozell Adams, etc will retard the development of a younger player on the roster who may quickly become a better player than the (fading) veteran free agent Roy Williams, Adalius Thomas, or Flozell Adams.

If he's only marginally better and/or will slow the development of a promising young player then he's probably not worth it.

That's the part that many people forget. Nix and Gailey seem very intent on seeing what they have first.

The other compelling reason why you bring in a veteran free agent besides upgrading the talent level is when you are changing systems and you need players who are familiar with the system so they can teach the younger players. The Bills have signed three such free agents, Andre Davis, Dwan Edwards, Reggie Torbor.

But at what point do you feel surrounding young guys with mostly other young guys will hurt the development of other positions? Is a guy like Brohm going to develop better if he has Lee Evans and Roy Williams to throw to OR Lee Evans and James Hardy? Williams is young enough to when the Bills are ready to contend (In a year or two) he will just be breaking into his early 30's I mean he is only 28 right now.

All in all let me upgrade the #2 WR situation and hope that that helps my young QB's and RB's develop better.

Are you being serious Roy Williams caught 8 TD's last year and has a resume from his Lions days that is pretty impressive. Factor in the fact that he isn't that old (28) and who on our roster currently is better then Roy Williams? Hardy who has injury issues, route running issues, and speed issues? Johnson who has never done anything in the NFL besides show brief glimpses of potential once in a blue moon? Parrish who is a slot receiver at best? Or Easley a rookie 4th round pick who up until a breakout senior year was a special teams phenomenon?

Come on our talent at WR outside of Evans sucks bringing in Roy Williams is an upgrade over the rest of our receivers which consists of 1 proven player who has only proven that he is a slot receiver at best and a bunch of young guys who have shown nothing over their NFL careers.

Just because a guy is a name doesn't always mean he isn't an upgrade seriously look at our number two WR's they are pretty bad.

I'm with you on this... I am not saying Roy Williams is the cure to all the Bills problems....but he is a better option than anyone else on our roster, outside of Evans. All of our other receivers are either guys with "upside" (Johnson, Easley), or guys who have done little (Parrish, Chad Jackson). Roy Williams has had, at least, had bouts of productivity... for a fair price, he would worth taking a look at...not like the Bills are so great that they can't stand a little more competition.

As far as all this clamor about upgrading the #2 wide receiver spot with Roy Williams…I continue to think this is how you DO NOT build a football team.

Setting aside the fact that his performance has fallen steeply since his first few years in the league and the fact that his presence would impede the development of our younger receivers, there are other reasons why signing Williams would not be a good idea.

We brought in a wide receiver last year who was still performing at a high level. It didn't do our offense any good.

You don't bolster your wide receiver corps when you are still sorely lacking in the trenches. For a team like the Bills, I say save the money for when the right veteran free agent hits the market. In other words, spend the money at a different position.

As far as all this clamor about upgrading the #2 wide receiver spot with Roy Williams…I continue to think this is how you DO NOT build a football team.

Setting aside the fact that his performance has fallen steeply since his first few years in the league and the fact that his presence would impede the development of our younger receivers, there are other reasons why signing Williams would not be a good idea.

We brought in a wide receiver last year who was still performing at a high level. It didn't do our offense any good.

You don't bolster your wide receiver corps when you are still sorely lacking in the trenches. For a team like the Bills, I say save the money for when the right veteran free agent hits the market. In other words, spend the money at a different position.

Good point and I usually don't agree with you. I will take it one step further. You don't draft a RB at the 9th pick when you are sorely lacking in the trenches. To boot, you were already strong at that position anyway....

I tend to be a believer in depending upon competition leading to development of a player rather than coddling him and letting him play and make a bunch of mistakes to learn the game by doing.

To me a player may not be the best right away, but assuming you are not hard up against the cap and can afford to pay for a vet and a developing rookie, my sense is that the best way to develop a player to be depended upon is not clearing the decks of better performing players and coddling the poor performer, but instead challenge him in practice and on the depth chart to be the best player on the roster he can be.

No reason to add Williams. The Bills made it clear by not re-signing TO that they're going with youth at the position.

And what a far cry from the halcyon days when Jerruh traded Herschel Walker for multiple 1st and 2nd rounders.

No reason to add Williams. The Bills made it clear by not re-signing TO that they're going with youth at the position.

And what a far cry from the halcyon days when Jerruh traded Herschel Walker for multiple 1st and 2nd rounders.

Yeah, the Cowboys are in bad shape.

Yeah, the Cowboys are in bad shape.

Given the money Jerruh throws around along with the other advantages Dallas has to offer, they'd be in better shape if Jerruh wasn't proving that Jimmy Johnson was the brains behind it all, with trades like the one for Roy Williams.

Given the money Jerruh throws around along with the other advantages Dallas has to offer, they'd be in better shape if Jerruh wasn't proving that Jimmy Johnson was the brains behind it all, with trades like the one for Roy Williams.

All the money? There had been a spending cap in place for a while, doc.

Yeah, Williams was a dumb pickup, but hiring Romo is looking like a pretty good move. Plus he drafted Bryant. And he's assembled the best team in the NFCE.

Plus one--he flat out destroyed us in that game a few years ago....

Yeah i was waiting for someone to mention that performance. It was like we knew they were gonna throw to him again and again and yet we couldnt stop the dude. What a beast he was that game. Something happened to him since then though, and unless he's a high character leader I say lets let Stevie J have a shot at a full season at #2.

All the money? There had been a spending cap in place for a while, doc.

Yeah, Williams was a dumb pickup, but hiring Romo is looking like a pretty good move. Plus he drafted Bryant. And he's assembled the best team in the NFCE.

The cap is the ceiling, doc. As you've noted, no teams spends all of its cap room.

Romo was an UDFA who was signed and developed by Parcells. He wasn't "hired." And Bryant hasn't proven anything yet, although getting signed before camp starts was a good move.

Two words in regard to it being all about Jimmy Johnson:

Barry Switzer

To some degree Barry benefitted from the legacy Jimmy left him, but in the end what the Switzer led SB win seems to show is that success for a team comes from it being a TEAM and not from any one individual.

A lot of things may be necessary but nothing is sufficient in an of itself.

The cap is the ceiling, doc. As you've noted, no teams spends all of its cap room.

Romo was an UDFA who was signed and developed by Parcells. He wasn't "hired." And Bryant hasn't proven anything yet, although getting signed before camp starts was a good move.

Yet they still somehow spent "a billion more than they would have"...or something.

Anyway, Romo wasn't drafted, so he was essentially "hired". I guess Jones is involved in only the Williams deals, but not the Romo ones.

Two words in regard to it being all about Jimmy Johnson:

Barry Switzer

To some degree Barry benefitted from the legacy Jimmy left him, but in the end what the Switzer led SB win seems to show is that success for a team comes from it being a TEAM and not from any one individual.

A lot of things may be necessary but nothing is sufficient in an of itself.

I don't think you'll find more than a few people who think that the Cowboys won in spite of Switzer, not because of him. It's similar to the 49'ers winning a SB with Seifert after Walsh stepped down.

And I didn't realize that WEO's pad-carrying thing was what actually happened. That's pretty dumb on Bryant's part.