George Steinbrenner Dies

Kingfish

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a line in both directions that when crossed, the person looks like a complete nutcase. But yeah, the line on the being happy side is a much shorter distance away.

Nah, it doesn't work that way. I think we all have a large list of people we've never met before, who we could understandably be saddened by their loss. George Steinbrenner was more than just a name to alot of people. Are we as humans not supposed to mourn the loss of people we never met? Circumstances and the nature of the death certainly have something to do with it but it should be natural to feel saddened when a fellow human passes. It gets amplified the closer you feel with the individual.

In the end,no one should be made to feel like a nutcase for having compassion towards others. Who gives a rats ass if you think it's weird? It's the morons who celebrate the death of others we should be concerned with.

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet but, do the Steinbrenner's have to pay an estate tax on the Yankees? According to an article I read they do not because George lived in Florida where there is no estate tax. Isn't the estate tax a major stumbling block with the Bills? Why doesn't ol Ralph just move to Fort Myers? I'm sure he could rent a nice trailer for cheap :thumbsup:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/world/...2424/story.html

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet but, do the Steinbrenner's have to pay an estate tax on the Yankees? According to an article I read they do not because George lived in Florida where there is no estate tax. Isn't the estate tax a major stumbling block with the Bills? Why doesn't ol Ralph just move to Fort Myers? I'm sure he could rent a nice trailer for cheap :thumbsup:

The estate tax has been rescinded for 2010. There is no death tax for anyone who dies this year.

The estate tax is federal and for 2010, it lapsed. In 2011, it goes up to 55%, ie, the government takes 55%. So yes, George died in the right year and in so doing, stuck it to the man.

Well done on that George.

I have no insight into the Yankees. He may have already transferred the ownership in that to his sons so there may be no estate consequence on that.

As a Yankees fan, I have always felt conflicted about George Steinbrenner. While he clearly was an imperfect person, I certainly won't hold that against him as he also used his money and power in a lot of good ways. So that aspect of Steinbrenner never bothered me.

In most respects, he was the owner all Bills and Sabres fans wish their teams had. When good players are available, there is no question the Yankees will make a serious effort to acquire said player, or they will have a damn good reason not to. He also laid down the money to keep the off-field talent around. He's also never played games with the fanbase.

The last Yankee Dynasty (of the late 90s), however, was not built by throwing money around. The core of those teams was a combination of homegrown stars and role-players who really blossomed when they became Yankees after mediocre careers elsewhere. Here's a list (from memory, please excuse any omissions) of the core players from those teams: Derek Jeter, Scott Brosius, Tino Martinez, Jorge Posada, Joe Girardi, Jim Leyritz, Paul O'Niell, Bernie Williams, Any Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, David Cone, David Wells. Jeter, Posada, Leyritz, Williams, Pettitte, and Rivera are of course home grown Yankees. Tino Martinez was a nice player in Seattle but certainly no superstar. Wells and Cone were also excellent pitchers who were on the downsides of their careers and had bounced around a lot. Scott Brosius was a career utility infielder with Oakland and came out of nowhere to be an awesome thirdbaseman and post season hero. Paul O'Niell was a platoon outfielder in Cincinatti before being traded to the Yankees where he became a Yankee icon.

However, when that dynasty started to slip after 2001, the Yankees' opened up their wallets and started bringing the really big names every offseason. It wasn't a very good strategy as it took them nine years to win another Championship despite outspending everyone. Worse, though, was that it has tarnished the images of the real dynasty of the late 90s because the perception of the average fan became that the Yankees have been buying Championships for years. Since I am very sentimental about the 90s Dynasty, I hate that their image has been tarnished.

In any case, may he rest in peace.

I'm asking about the 1-dollar word game :thumbsup:

Hahaha, that's a dumb talent of mine. There's this game my 3rd grade teacher had the class play, where you assign number values to letters (A=1, B=2, and so on), and you try to find words that equal exactly 100.

So, for example A-F-G-H-A-N-I-S-T-A-N is 1+6+7+8+1+14+9+19+20+1+14 = 100

Well, I became obsessed with the game back then, and now I can't look at words without automatically adding up their "values". I can do most words in a couple seconds.

i will not wish Steinbrenner to rest in peace. Everything that man stood for is every anti-small market. He basically made it hypocritical to be a Yankee fan and a Bills fan.

FACT: If Steinbrenner was the owner of the Giants or Jets, he would have pushed to have teams like the Bills moved and outspent

FACT: Steinbrenner would not support any salary cap and revenue sharing to support the other less fortunate franchises of the league.

In my opinion, he paved the way for owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder to be greedy money hoarding bastards in the NFL.

FACT: You want some cheese with that whine?

Shocking that Ledonais also makes a bad comment too.

The rage is almost comical with some of you.

RIP George.

Hahaha, that's a dumb talent of mine. There's this game my 3rd grade teacher had the class play, where you assign number values to letters (A=1, B=2, and so on), and you try to find words that equal exactly 100.

So, for example A-F-G-H-A-N-I-S-T-A-N is 1+6+7+8+1+14+9+19+20+1+14 = 100

Well, I became obsessed with the game back then, and now I can't look at words without automatically adding up their "values". I can do most words in a couple seconds.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, why did you do that? Now I'm going to be counting how many letters there are in every word, which use to be my obsession. :thumbsup:

Oh sweet baby Jesus, why did you do that? Now I'm going to be counting how many letters there are in every word, which use to be my obsession. :thumbsup:

This turned out so much better than I expected.

Been covered

George Steinbrenner was born in my hometown of Rocky River, Ohio and grew up in nearby Bay Village.

Before he bought the Yankees, in 1972 Steinbrenner tried to buy the Indians. He was outbid by Nick Mileti, of all people. Mileti probably got Vern Stouffer, the Indians owner, really drunk one night and convinced him that he'd be the better owner than Steinbrenner. Stouffer was known to have a cocktail or six.

If you're familiar with baseball, you know how well that turned out.

Steinbrenner was still generous and kept in touch with a lot of people in the Cleveland area. I first heard about 3-4 years ago that the Boss had Alzheimer's. That's why you very rarely saw him in public. FWIW, I believe the story.

RIP, George. There will never be another Boss.

Steinbrenner was still generous and kept in touch with a lot of people in the Cleveland area. I first heard about 3-4 years ago that the Boss had Alzheimer's. That's why you very rarely saw him in public. FWIW, I believe the story.

I heard this too, and there was a NY Times article on it. It's probably a blessing that he went before the thing completely destroyed him. Better to burn out than fade away.

George Steinbrenner was born in my hometown of Rocky River, Ohio and grew up in nearby Bay Village.

Before he bought the Yankees, in 1972 Steinbrenner tried to buy the Indians. He was outbid by Nick Mileti, of all people. Mileti probably got Vern Stouffer, the Indians owner, really drunk one night and convinced him that he'd be the better owner than Steinbrenner. Stouffer was known to have a cocktail or six.

If you're familiar with baseball, you know how well that turned out.

RIP, George. There will never be another Boss.

Kinsmen Independent Stack Logo

Starting out with the Corps, I would survey Rocky River... Taking hydrographic survey data or soundings (depth readings) for dredge ops. Pretty cool place. I remember being green and at the helm of the survey vessel and getting "ripped" from that helm by the crew chief during a storm. He was anxious to break back to WNY for the weekend and get off TDY! :thumbsup:

The estate tax is federal and for 2010, it lapsed. In 2011, it goes up to 55%, ie, the government takes 55%. So yes, George died in the right year and in so doing, stuck it to the man.

Well done on that George.

I have no insight into the Yankees. He may have already transferred the ownership in that to his sons so there may be no estate consequence on that.

Steinbrenner heirs could save millions from one-year gap in estate tax