George Steinbrenner Dies

Kingfish

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey i am not trying to get everyone up in a tizzy here, but I just don't see the man the same way Yankee fans do. I do not think of him as a decent man. I think of him as a cut-throat businessman. I'll leave it at that.

i will not wish Steinbrenner to rest in peace. Everything that man stood for is every anti-small market. He basically made it hypocritical to be a Yankee fan and a Bills fan.

FACT: If Steinbrenner was the owner of the Giants or Jets, he would have pushed to have teams like the Bills moved and outspent

FACT: Steinbrenner would not support any salary cap and revenue sharing to support the other less fortunate franchises of the league.

In my opinion, he paved the way for owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder to be greedy money hoarding bastards in the NFL.

:bag:;):lol::devil::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

i will not wish Steinbrenner to rest in peace...hey i am not trying to get everyone up in a tizzy here, but I just don't see the man the same way Yankee fans do. I do not think of him as a decent man. I think of him as a cut-throat businessman. I'll leave it at that.

You are of course free to say what you want but you might consider having the decency to quench your negative views on the day he died. And wishing that he goes to hell? Immature even by the low standard you set for yourself.

As a long suffering Indians fan,RIP George, you built a great thing in NY, not just winning, but the model, and making the Yankees one of, if not the biggest things out there.... I was never a big fan of yours, but it is a sad day in Baseball... RIP

There are all kinds of opinions about the man and what he did for sports --- which could be good and bad depending on your perspective.

The out-of-control spending made baseball not very fun for 2/3 of the MLB teams for the past 30 years. His style put small markets at a disadvantage.

One thing that can be said about him is that he transitioned for this event in the best possible way. He got older, realized his decisions weren't helping the team and he stepped back. He laid the groundwork to build a new stadium that will house the team this century. He left no questions of the team ownership lingering. He took care of the fans, and he ran that organization with the sole mindset to be the best. Granted, this took $ and in turn the fans covered his costs, but they covered his costs with the $72 tickets they bought willingly, and never with an implied threat to move the team if ticket sales didn't pick up --- all for the privilege to watch garbage teams get beaten badly. Steinbrenner was never hesitant to do something b/c he didn't think he could get someone else to pay for it, b/c winning will pay for it.

Now, contrast that last paragraph with self-defeatist nickel-squeezer Ralph Wilson.

While I feel bad for his family (even though he had a long and wealthy, privileged life), this is one of the happier days I have had in a while. While he rebuilt the Yanks, he also ushered in the era of non-competition in baseball (yes, with Bud Selig's help). I can't stand the fact that the Pirates and Royals used to be perennial winners and now they are out of the pennant race by May - they simply cannot compete.

As a Red Sox fan this is somewhat hypocritical ... but even the Sox cannot compete with the Yankees' money. The Yanks bought last year's series win and I am sure will attempt to purchase the 2010 title. Well, at least there is Hank Steinbrenner to still hate.

The only thing that would make today sweeter is if Dick Cheney bought the farm, too.

The Pirates problem has to do with their ownership. Small markets can compete. Tampa Bay has built the team that the Pirates could have had if their F.O. had a clue. Lump St. Louis in with the small market teams too. Somehow they continue to compete. Anyone can win in baseball. It doesn't always take free spending. Yes, it's a disadvantage, but it takes a little know how. Don't blame non-competition on Steinbrenner. If you know how to run a business and have a passion for your team, the sky is the limit.

While I feel bad for his family (even though he had a long and wealthy, privileged life), this is one of the happier days I have had in a while. While he rebuilt the Yanks, he also ushered in the era of non-competition in baseball (yes, with Bud Selig's help). I can't stand the fact that the Pirates and Royals used to be perennial winners and now they are out of the pennant race by May - they simply cannot compete.

As a Red Sox fan this is somewhat hypocritical ... but even the Sox cannot compete with the Yankees' money. The Yanks bought last year's series win and I am sure will attempt to purchase the 2010 title. Well, at least there is Hank Steinbrenner to still hate.

The only thing that would make today sweeter is if Dick Cheney bought the farm, too.

If the day a man who I'd wager you never met passes away makes you happy, you must live a very sad and empty life.

What is wrong with some people? You are happy that a man lost his life?!? A Red Sox fan complaining about non-competition. Hilarious. How are you guys doing after "buying" Adrian Beltre, Mike Cameron, and John Lackey? Unbelievable that people can fault a man for wanting to be the best and having the will to do whatever it takes to do so.

They're !@#$ing GAMES pal. For amusement. Get your priorities straight.

Exactly.

Let's see how low the Red Sox fans stoop today!?!

While I feel bad for his family (even though he had a long and wealthy, privileged life), this is one of the happier days I have had in a while.

Shocker.

Well, I'm glad you can get your rocks off to an extraordinary old man with Alzheimer's dying. I'd argue with you, but you're just too pathetic.

By the way, I love Red Sox fans...you guys have 2 world series in the last 6 years and all you do is jealously complain about the Yankees.

If the day a man who I'd wager you never met passes away makes you happy, you must live a very sad and empty life.

His post was pure garbage, but if you can what you did, shouldn't that also apply to being sad over a guy you never met passing away? The reactions here are mostly of the "that's a shame" variety, but you know there are people out there somewhere who are incredibly saddened by it even though they didn't know Steinbrenner.

His post was pure garbage, but if you can what you did, shouldn't that also apply to being sad over a guy you never met passing away? The reactions here are mostly of the "that's a shame" variety, but you know there are people out there somewhere who are incredibly saddened by it even though they didn't know Steinbrenner.

Feeling unjustifiably sad is a lot more forgiveable than feeling unjustifiably spiteful.

Feeling unjustifiably sad is a lot more forgiveable than feeling unjustifiably spiteful.

There's a line in both directions that when crossed, the person looks like a complete nutcase. But yeah, the line on the being happy side is a much shorter distance away.

They are a multi-million dollar business as well, which would have brought jobs to Buffalo.

Yes we should all be spiteful towards George Steinbrenner because he didn't do enough for the city of Buffalo. He also didn't do enough to help other teams compete against his own. Some would say he hated the Buffalo Bills and all they stand for.

LOL, how do some of you clowns make it through a week? It's got to be one embarrassing conversation after another.

Yes we should all be spiteful towards George Steinbrenner because he didn't do enough for the city of Buffalo. He also didn't do enough to help other teams compete against his own. Some would say he hated the Buffalo Bills and all they stand for.

LOL, how do some of you clowns make it through a week? It's got to be one embarrassing conversation after another.

:bag: