George Steinbrenner Dies

Kingfish

Huge loss for the Baseball world. He was the best owner in sports, and love or hate the yankees, he was the owner that anyone would want. He put the team, city, and winning first. He always looked for ways to generate the most money, while keep the tradition in tact, and gave put the money right back into the team.

Love him or hate him, he was the model of what an owner should be.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams College Grad

Served in the US Air Force

Coached at Northwestern under Lou Saban

Great trade: $8.8 million to purchase the Yanks in '73. The team is worth ~ $1.6 billion now. The Boss' initial personal investment was $168k. Leverage.

Greatest owner ever? Meh... Big Stein turned the Yanks around (twice) and made them arguably the best run organization in sports. Then again...

- Suspended by Bowie Kuhn for making illegal contributions to Nixon's campaign (pled guilty to one count of conspiracy).

- Suspended a second time for paying some dirtbag $40k to provide dirt on Dave Winfield.

I'll take the Rooneys over that.

Anyway, enjoy that calzone, big guy.

Huge loss for the Baseball world. He was the best owner in sports, and love or hate the yankees, he was the owner that anyone would want. He put the team, city, and winning first. He always looked for ways to generate the most money, while keep the tradition in tact, and gave put the money right back into the team.

Love him or hate him, he was the model of what an owner should be.

Not to defend Buffalo's owners, but the Boss had a huge advantage with his team being in NYC and having a greater opportunity to generate revenue. Still, he knew what it took to win, was very demanding, set high expectations and never cut corners. He could never be called stingy when it came to financing his teams, whether it involved player or front office salaries. Spend money to make money. I agree, best owner in sports. We can only hope his sons will continue his legacy. RIP.

exactly! this is the kind of owner you want. he makes it happen whatever it takes. not the dbags we got in this town.

WTF are you talking about? The average ticket price for the Yankees is $72.97 versus a national average of $26.74. That's not the kind of owner I want.

WTF are you talking about? The average ticket price for the Yankees is $72.97 versus a national average of $26.74. That's not the kind of owner I want.

And that cash goes into affording the best players. You can pay $26.74 and watch sh*tty teams, I'll pay $72.97 and watch a champion.

And lets not forget Big George's contribution to the USOC...detailed here. Without him, Vancouver is not nearly the sucess it was for the USA.

RIP George. I have read many places that George gave so much charity- but did so anonymously. The best deeds in life are anonymous. Thank you George for the Yanks championships that I have enjoyed!

i'd pay that for a winner anyday

i will not wish Steinbrenner to rest in peace. Everything that man stood for is every anti-small market. He basically made it hypocritical to be a Yankee fan and a Bills fan.

FACT: If Steinbrenner was the owner of the Giants or Jets, he would have pushed to have teams like the Bills moved and outspent

FACT: Steinbrenner would not support any salary cap and revenue sharing to support the other less fortunate franchises of the league.

In my opinion, he paved the way for owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder to be greedy money hoarding bastards in the NFL.

While I feel bad for his family (even though he had a long and wealthy, privileged life), this is one of the happier days I have had in a while. While he rebuilt the Yanks, he also ushered in the era of non-competition in baseball (yes, with Bud Selig's help). I can't stand the fact that the Pirates and Royals used to be perennial winners and now they are out of the pennant race by May - they simply cannot compete.

As a Red Sox fan this is somewhat hypocritical ... but even the Sox cannot compete with the Yankees' money. The Yanks bought last year's series win and I am sure will attempt to purchase the 2010 title. Well, at least there is Hank Steinbrenner to still hate.

The only thing that would make today sweeter is if Dick Cheney bought the farm, too.

i will not wish Steinbrenner to rest in peace. Everything that man stood for is every anti-small market. He basically made it hypocritical to be a Yankee fan and a Bills fan.

FACT: If Steinbrenner was the owner of the Giants or Jets, he would have pushed to have teams like the Bills moved and outspent

FACT: Steinbrenner would not support any salary cap and revenue sharing to support the other less fortunate franchises of the league.

In my opinion, he paved the way for owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder to be greedy money hoarding bastards in the NFL.

Give me a break man, the guy just passed away, if you are not gonna show some respect then just don't reply at all.

Your "FACTS" are anything but facts and are, in fact, conjecture. Wonderful command of logic there.

Give me a break man, the guy just passed away, if you are not gonna show some respect then just don't reply at all.

No, the man showed no respect or mercy for his sport and the general growth of the sport. I show the late Wellington Mara with infinite times more respect for the man he was.

Steinbrenner is part of the reason why Buffalo has no MLB team as the Bisons traditionally have among the highest attendance in minors. So, I'll say he did the city of Buffalo wrong.

No, the man showed no respect or mercy for his sport and the general growth of the sport. I show the late Wellington Mara with infinite times more respect for the man he was.

Steinbrenner is part of the reason why Buffalo has no MLB team as the Bisons traditionally have among the highest attendance in minors. So, I'll say he did the city of Buffalo wrong.

They're !@#$ing GAMES pal. For amusement. Get your priorities straight.