The Pats are done

The Patriots may still be competetive, but their reign as a top flight team is over. Their GM whose moves have made Bellichick a legend is gone, most of their veterans are old/retired/gone, their defense is a shell of its former self, the anchor of their line is disgruntled, and Tom Brady has a wife and kid to chase around instead of living and breathing football.

I'm not predicting they'll flat out suck, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish under .500.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are still the team to beat in the AFC East.

I know that's the conventional wisdom, but I just don't see it happening. The division is full of young hungry teams with big expectations. I'm not outright predicting it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the cellar by seasons end.

In today's NFL it's all about being strong at QB and at HC. Without a doubt the Pats are the best in the division at those two spots and, arguably, are the strongest team in the league at those two spots. So long as they have Brady and Belichick they'll be the team to beat in the division and will be a very strong combatant to represent the AFC in the SB.

In today's NFL it's all about being strong at QB and at HC. Without a doubt the Pats are the best in the division at those two spots and, arguably, are the strongest team in the league at those two spots. So long as they have Brady and Belichick they'll be the team to beat in the division and will be a very strong combatant to represent the AFC in the SB.

I agree completely. The Bills have to answer both questions - do they really have the right coach and do they have the right QB? Perhaps a team with a monster defense can overcome the coach / QB combination but even then I would say the Coach /QB combination needs to be one that does not lose games for you because they are ineffective.

Keep telling yourself that. A key injury or two (I'd say to any of Brady, Moss or Wilfork) and this team is lucky to hit 8-8, IMHO. They've got one decent WR (we all know Welker won't be back before Week 8 or so, despite the recent grandstanding at OTAs) and a stable of RB's nearing 35 (hello Dr. HGH) and a disappointment in Maroney, all to go along with a D that's not getting any better most likely (having lost several players, like Springs and Thomas) and was absolutely gashed by the Ravens in the playoffs. I say not getting any better most likely since their drafts have stunk the last few years, so to count on draft choices in New England* would not be wise. To top it all off, you know have a disgruntled Logan Mankins making holdout noises. Yeah, keep telling yourself that.....

Brady wasn't very impressive last year.. dare I say average?

Guess it depends on your reference.

Brady put up pro bowl numbers despite coming off a major knee surgery.

Passing 	  Comp 	Att 	Comp %	Yds	  Y/Att 	TD 	Int 	Rating
Tom Brady 	371 	 565 	65.7 	 4398	7.78	   28 	13 	 96.2

One reason I think they'll have trouble is b/c they're going to face a lot of 3-4s which requires strong guards to protect the inside. Mankins has been their anchor, both with inside running, and maintaining that pocket for Brady. Add to that all the young guys (I've heard over 50% of their roster has been in the league for < 2yrs, but don't quote me) and mainly, they just don't seem to have that swagger anymore. And when you loose that you often crash hard.

Keep telling yourself that. A key injury or two (I'd say to any of Brady, Moss or Wilfork) and this team is lucky to hit 8-8, IMHO. They've got one decent WR (we all know Welker won't be back before Week 8 or so, despite the recent grandstanding at OTAs) and a stable of RB's nearing 35 (hello Dr. HGH) and a disappointment in Maroney, all to go along with a D that's not getting any better most likely (having lost several players, like Springs and Thomas) and was absolutely gashed by the Ravens in the playoffs. I say not getting any better most likely since their drafts have stunk the last few years, so to count on draft choices in New England* would not be wise. To top it all off, you know have a disgruntled Logan Mankins making holdout noises. Yeah, keep telling yourself that.....

Key injury to any superstar player like the ones you mention would potentially cripple any team, including the Pats.

Neither Springs nor Thomas will be missed.

Like it or not ...... the Pats will keep winning because they have Brady and Belichick. The rest of the team is interchangeable.

For the past 3 years i have been thinking this. And until other teams in the league treat the Pats like the Ravens did in the playoffs they will keep winning. The Ravens did not look at the uniforms or Bellichek, they played football and beat the crap out of the Pats. When/if the Bills do this and the rest of the AFC east i will agree they are done.

Key injury to any superstar player like the ones you mention would potentially cripple any team, including the Pats.

Like it or not ...... the Pats will keep winning because they have Brady and Belichick. The rest of the team is interchangeable.

I'm not as quick to annoint Bellichick as the best coach in the division just yet. Let's see what Rex Ryan (or Chan Gailey for that matter) does this year. In my opinion Bellichick is a pretty good coach who has had top talent throughout his tenure in New England. Before Tom Brady nobody thought much of him. Oh yeah, and he cheated.

Now that he doesn't have Scott Pioli to build his team, he's being exposed.

And yes, Brady had good stats last year, but then, outside of Oakland everyone who's thrown to Moss has had good stats. With Moss getting old, the safety valve (Welker) not up to form, a diminished line, and a crumbling team culture...

I'm not as quick to annoint Bellichick as the best coach in the division just yet. Let's see what Rex Ryan (or Chan Gailey for that matter) does this year. In my opinion Bellichick is a pretty good coach who has had top talent throughout his tenure in New England. Before Tom Brady nobody thought much of him. Oh yeah, and he cheated.

And yes, Brady had good stats last year, but then, outside of Oakland everyone who's thrown to Moss has had good stats. With Moss getting old, the safety valve (Welker) not up to form, a diminished line, and a crumbling team culture...

Belichick is a "pretty good coach" who has "had top talent throughout his tenure" Good grief man did you just starting watching the Pats the last couple of seasons?

Neither Rex nor Chan are in the same stratosphere as Belichick as a head coach. Dude, many of the experts believe Belichick may well be the best head coach ever.

Belichick is a "pretty good coach" who has "had top talent throughout his tenure" Good grief man did you just starting watching the Pats the last couple of seasons?

Neither Rex nor Chan are in the same stratosphere as Belichick as a head coach. Dude, many of the experts believe Belichick may well be the best head coach ever.

Experts believe a lot of things. Those SB teams had a lot more talent than they ever got credit for. He won 3 SB's each by a FG. Impressive, yes. I give credit to any SB winning coach, but I'm not going to annoint Mike Tomlin the greatest just yet either. It'll all come out in the wash. I'd like to see what he does outside that ideal situation that has been NE for the last 10 yrs, and I'd like to see him turn around another franchise like Parcells has done.

And I don't claim Rex or Chan have done anything to warrant a higher ranking than BB, but let's give them a couple seasons and see how it plays out. Bellichick wasn't in Bellichick's stratosphere when he came to NE.

Experts believe a lot of things. Those SB teams had a lot more talent than they ever got credit for. He won 3 SB's each by a FG. Impressive, yes. I give credit to any SB winning coach, but I'm not going to annoint Mike Tomlin the greatest just yet either. It'll all come out in the wash. I'd like to see what he does outside that ideal situation that has been NE for the last 10 yrs, and I'd like to see him turn around another franchise like Parcells has done.

And I don't claim Rex or Chan have done anything to warrant a higher ranking than BB, but let's give them a couple seasons and see how it plays out. Bellichick wasn't in Bellichick's stratosphere when he came to NE.

Check the Pats roster the first two times they won the SB. It's chalk full of other teams rejects and just another guys.

What have either Rex or Chan done to warrant even being talked about as a good HC never mind one of the best ever. Gailey's a habitual failure and Rex is a blowhard.

I've read one of these threads every year since the Lawyer Malloy game. Guess how many of those years the Bills finished ahead of the Pats?

Exactly. As far as finishing ahead of them, that's probably Brady's retirement away. I'd be happy with one friggin' win against them.

Exactly. As far as finishing ahead of them, that's probably Brady's retirement away. I'd be happy with one friggin' win against them.

I want us to punish the Pats for 5 plus years while Brady is still qb there. Just so when he retires he has a nice bad taste in his mouth when he thinks about the Bills.

The Patriots may still be competetive, but their reign as a top flight team is over. Their GM whose moves have made Bellichick a legend is gone, most of their veterans are old/retired/gone, their defense is a shell of its former self, the anchor of their line is disgruntled, and Tom Brady has a wife and kid to chase around instead of living and breathing football.

I'm not predicting they'll flat out suck, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish under .500.

Oh Please!

I suppose the Bills and Pats will switch places in the standings too!

I'll take the Pats over .500 and you can have them under .500 - just tell me how freakin' much you want to lose!

When I see it. That's when I'll believe it.

People have been saying the same thing for five years now.

I do agree that their personnel moves just aren't as good as they used to be. But when you have Brady, you're always capable of making the playoffs.

Keep telling yourself that. A key injury or two (I'd say to any of Brady, Moss or Wilfork) and this team is lucky to hit 8-8, IMHO.

That's true of every team in the league. It's always true. Any team losing it's key guys is in trouble. Doesn't mean they're not a good team.

And Moss isn't what he used to be anyway. Wilfork or Brady are the two keys.

most coaches never luck into one super bowl and one near perfect season, he somehow stumbled into his exceptional success? hit him for the cheating, hit him for being a dick, hit him for the tuck rule, but to suggest bb is only a "pretty good coach" is absurd.

"Tom Brady has a wife and kid to chase around instead of living and breathing football"

These are the types of guys I get to play fantasy football with in my league....they suck! :thumbsup:

Make that TWO kids to chase around.

Belicheck was a cheating loser from Cleveland until he lucked out in the sixth round and got "creative" with the video department. The cheatin' SOB ain't won $@#! since he was exposed as a cheating fraud.

Ahh, now you are talking our language :thumbsup:

I wouldn't call the Pats done, but they are not the same team as when they went undefeated in '07. Although Brady still put up Pro Bowl numbers last year, I think he has lost his edge. They have done a great job of retooling in the last couple of drafts, especially on defence, however I think it will take a couple of years to see some dividends there.

I wouldn't call the Pats done, but they are not the same team as when they went undefeated in '07. Although Brady still put up Pro Bowl numbers last year, I think he has lost his edge. They have done a great job of retooling in the last couple of drafts, especially on defence, however I think it will take a couple of years to see some dividends there.

??? Who have they gotten to retool their D in the last couple of drafts? Jerrod Mayo, whose numbers are worse than Paul Poszlusny's, especially around big plays like sacks, ints and FFs? Chung, chosen several spots ahead of Byrd last year, but who really didn't seem to see much of the field, despite the Pats* having an average at best secondary? Maybe Ron Brace, Fat Boy Vince's supposed potential replacement, who didn't even dress for a number of games last year IIRC? Maybe it's the plethora of young corners they've taken (that's you, Wheatley and Wilhite), who also had a hard time cracking the lineup of their pass D over aging guys like Shawn Springs, who got cut this offseason?

People need to stop looking at the Pats* in the rear view mirror of 4 or 5 years ago and recognize what the team is today--one on the decline.....

BTW, the Bills D gave up 20 yards a game more than the Pats*, while the Bills O gained 120 yeards a game less than the Pats*. I'd love to see a yards per play differential stat for the two teams, as I'd say that extra 120 yards probably translates to an extra 15 to 20 plays per game for the Pats* O versus ours. In other words, on a yards per play basis, our D was probably actually much better than New England*'s last year, despite not having the "defensive genius" of Belicheat at our helm.....

Belicheck was a cheating loser from Cleveland until he lucked out in the sixth round and got "creative" with the video department. The cheatin' SOB ain't won $@#! since he was exposed as a cheating fraud.

Wow, I like you.

To the rest of yous, quit felating those piles of scum in cheatriotteville.

brady* scum

paymicheck* scum

owner* scum

team* scum

I hope they all rot in hell while listening to a continuous stream of my MiLs whining blasting in their ears.

Any !@#$ing questions you nancyboys?

That's just crazy talk, football is a team game and the pats having lost a lot of talent, look beatable because of this. no doubt about it.

GO BILLS!

Seeing how they are defending AFC East Champions, and the only year in the last forever it seems that they didn't win the division, they won 11 games, yeah they are through? Their future Hall of Fame quarterback is healthy this year, last year he was still recovering. Last year they went through about half a dozen backs because their starter was hurt, he is back as his his backup. They are still the team to beat in the division and one of the 3 or 4 to beat in the AFC. If they have a fork in them, the Bills have the entire silverware drawer in them. Tom Brady isn't the only NFL player with a wife and kid to "chase around"? Belicheat is there, so they are always going to be competitive. I really wish your post was accurate, but it is way off sadly, in fact it would be nice just to be able to beat them for a second time in what the last 18 or 19 matchups?