Schobel says he's not coming back

yall

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there was a lot of doubt prior to this that he 'wanted' a trade. Was there?

Except that he said he didnt want to be traded to anyone, and didnt hint at it here, and said he would come back to the Bills if they wanted him. It would be pretty easy to say he wanted to be traded to a team closer to home but he never has as far as we know. Just the opposite in fact.

Indeed, odd statement for him to make...(especially since we haven't heard anything in months).

I'm with JA...trade him for a conditional pick and keep moving forward with what you've got.

Aaron Schobel was overated in my book. He was the best of what little we have had on defense in the past 10 years or so. The last 3 years he has been an average lineman in the NFL and when he was at his best he was slightly above average. My point is this; the Bills shouldn't be concerned about a player who's facing the down years of his career. Also, if he was average at his natural position how in the world do you think he's going to perform at a position he's never played before. My guess is he would have been a back up this year at OLB. Thanks for the 10 plus years in Buffalo Aaron but you're not the only one who saw the writing on the wall; I'm right there with you...

To me it appears that he's basically saying "hey, I'm not coming to the practices until it's mandatory that I do, if you guys are ok with that, then I'm in, if not, I'm out"

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see the Bills move on without him, trade him for whatever you can. Let the young guys get an opportunity, not to mention all that money that would be freed up.

Except that he said he didnt want to be traded to anyone, and didnt hint at it here, and said he would come back to the Bills if they wanted him. It would be pretty easy to say he wanted to be traded to a team closer to home but he never has as far as we know. Just the opposite in fact.

Things that Players say are always true.

I don't blame the guy one bit ... he's spent his whole career on an average to below average team and has never been to the play-offs ... He doesn't have much time left, so why learn a new position on a team that is re-building ... if he wants a trade, give it to him.

I've always liked Schobel but never loved him. He seems like a decent guy, but for football reason's I'm glad he's not coming back. At his best he was an above average player that put up nice numbers when you looked back at them, but was a non impact guy. For him to make the transition to the 3-4 linebacker would be a huge question mark to ask of a guy that athletically wasn't all that gifted.

got the same thing. just filed my piece.

jw

Hey John:

Unrelated question - in your piece on Torbor making a fresh start in Buffalo, you mention he's 257 pounds. Not to be impolite (or question your numbers), but where did that come from? On espn he's listed at 250, on wikipedia (great source) he's listed as 245. Obviously these numbers can be subjective - a guy could have a 20 pound swing from his offseason and playing weights, depending on his position.

Did you get that from a team page? From him? I'm interested because I'd be really happy if he was closer to 260. Thats good for the bills.

Thanks again for your contributions here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ports/index/nfl

i've been in the camp that Schobel conducted himself with grace and calss as a Buffalo Bill. i thought he was often under-appreciated by the fan base, and was glad to have him on the team.

all that ended today. it takes you until June 10th to come out with this lame-a$$ed pussyfooted commentary that seems designed to hamstring the bills and sound like you're still a decent guy to the fans? i think this is even worse than jason peters.

:worthy: could not disagree more. He appears to be handling the situation reasonably and may have left the door open for the Bills to acquire something for him in trade. The guy has played his whole career in Buffalo during the tenure of some of the worst regimes on record. He has handled himself with class through all of it.

once hes said its bills or retirement. but with that statement now i think a trade is possible. he might agree to it if its to his liking.

and that would be pretty big for us. getting something instead of nothing.

wont be 4 gaither though. it has to be a 4-3 team. i guess..........

Would only play for the Bills because he could never get that kind of money from anyone else and not worth it to him to play for anything less. So what exactly does Aaron want?

Hey John:

Unrelated question - in your piece on Torbor making a fresh start in Buffalo, you mention he's 257 pounds. Not to be impolite (or question your numbers), but where did that come from? On espn he's listed at 250, on wikipedia (great source) he's listed as 245. Obviously these numbers can be subjective - a guy could have a 20 pound swing from his offseason and playing weights, depending on his position.

Did you get that from a team page? From him? I'm interested because I'd be really happy if he was closer to 260. Thats good for the bills.

Thanks again for your contributions here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ports/index/nfl

he told us he reported at 257 upon taking his physical with the Bills, and then added: "Must have had a good meal or something last night," or something close to that.

jw

IMO, Schobel's best play as a Bill was the season opener last year vs the Pats. His leaping one-handed INT that he turned into a TD was awesome. IMO, Schobel was a sproadic player. He was never consistent with getting sacks, but was good against the run.

I wish Schobel would have given the Bills an answer much sooner (before the draft) that way Buddy Nix had more time to try and make a deal and trade him.

i've been in the camp that Schobel conducted himself with grace and calss as a Buffalo Bill. i thought he was often under-appreciated by the fan base, and was glad to have him on the team.

all that ended today. it takes you until June 10th to come out with this lame-a$$ed pussyfooted commentary that seems designed to hamstring the bills and sound like you're still a decent guy to the fans? i think this is even worse than jason peters.

I agree. The guy was a good player, but nowhere near a hall of famer. Since we have been so bad this decade, and he was a good player, everyone makes him out to have been the savior of the franchise. Well my friends he is not even close to that. On a lot of teams, he would have been a decent DE and nothing more. There were many games that he was invisible in. That being said, management needs to see if he wants to be traded. And if he does, than lets try and get some O line help with him as bait. Any sentimentality towards Schobel is definitely being misplaced as far as I am concerned. What I don't understand is why he is ready to not play after only 9 years in the league. Pretty sad when you lose your desire that quickly. He should just ask for a trade and lets get on with it. The guy is a hick from Texas and has absolutely no savvy with how he is spinning this. At least Favre makes you still want to root for him. Schobel-Meh!!!