Schobel says he's not coming back

yall

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO this says if you really, really need me to and can talk me in to it, I'll consider coming back. If not, I'm retiring, but I'm only 32 and it's really hard to make this official at this point, so let me ponder it as long as I can before I have to look myself in the mirror and officially say I'm done. Essentially he is letting the Bills move forward without having to make anything official this minute, which is considerate on his part. I don't think he's looking to play elsewhere based on his comments, but who knows. I take the "it's in the Bills' hands" to mean they should find someone to replace him or somehow convince him otherwise that they really need him to be a part of the team, and their actions will ultimately dictate the outcome.

While it's waffling, I can't imaging retiring from something that I love because I knew I couldn't perform the job at the level I wanted to... let alone at the age of 32. He's one of the few athletes in this day and age to give all he had on the field and for the most part keep his complaints out of the media, despite this disastrous Bills' decade. He's been a true professional, and I wish him well.

Indeed, odd statement for him to make...(especially since we haven't heard anything in months).

I'm with JA...trade him for a conditional pick and keep moving forward with what you've got.

I got the feeling he just doesn't want to play an entire season, not that he doesn't want to play for the Bills.

It IS possible he's beat up, tired of the grind and wants to leave the game on his own terms rather than have an injury or declining skills force him to.

I believe it is something along the lines of 9.4 million.

Would you retire if you were going to make that amount? I certainly would not

What if your job was to take a beating from 330 Left Tackles every Sunday, and during the week at practice?

What if your job was to take a beating from 330 Left Tackles every Sunday, and during the week at practice?

For close to 10 million dollars, in a heartbeat. Of course i will never see that kind of money in my life time, so maybe that is playing into my head a little/a lot.

I've been predicting this since we decided to go to a 3-4. The guy is not going to try a new position at this point in his career. A trade would be a good idea. This is exactly what happened to Phil Hansen when Greggo came in and announced he was going to a 4-3.

:worthy: copuld not disagree more. He appears to be handling the situation reasonably and may have left the door open for the Bills to have acquired something for him in trade. The guy has played his whole career in Buffalo during the tenure of some of the worst regimes on record. He has handled himself with class through all of it.

the dreaded downward thumb guy!

you are 100% correct on his career, the horrible regimes, and his class up until now. i acknowledged that and defended him many times over people who thought he was a mediocre player.

on this subject, i can only describe him as "classy" if by "classy" we mean he took 6 months to seriously consider his options, spent long nights thinking about his career and his teammates and his fans, and finally decided with certainty that the best thing for him to do was maybe not play football and leave it in the bills hands but maybe they could call him for a game in october if someone gets hurt. i don't see it that as classy, except maybe in a dick jauron press conference way.

now--after i had time to ponder my initial response, i softened my stance a bit. if he just didn't know exactly what to say and it came out wrong, then I was a bit harsh. if he's angling to play for another team, i liked the guy enough as a player to cut him a break and wish him well----but don't beat around the bush with this kind of blather.

Let me say this: the part about him maybe coming back is not a direct quote in the article and Buffalobills.com makes no reference to anything like that.

So I wonder if the B-news is miss representing his position?

Still I am of the opinion that we should trade him if possible.

However how does it work if he retires and then comes out and plays for let's say Houston. Can he do that this year and we get nothing? And if he can why would teams trade with us?

Thoughts?

How much money is freed up if he retires?

Are you trying to get the team under a non-existent salary cap? The only thing freed up is Ralph doesn't have to pay him potentially. Unless you are Ralphs CPA it is completely irrelevant.

First I will add that the Bills need to move on and just release him. Make it a money move and free up the 7-8 million. If they don't release him and he doesn't show up to camp without officially retiring him, they have to fine him. The 3 teams he could play for know this and won't give anything up for him. Noone wants him so bad they will just give a pick away, for a 7-8 million dollar player. this is done and a release needs to happen immediately.

First I will add that the Bills need to move on and just release him. Make it a money move and free up the 7-8 million. If they don't release him and he doesn't show up to camp without officially retiring him, they have to fine him. The 3 teams he could play for know this and won't give anything up for him. Noone wants him so bad they will just give a pick away, for a 7-8 million dollar player. this is done and a release needs to happen immediately.

Yeah, we need to immediately release him so we can free up the cap space. :worthy:

Now that it looks like it's over, you can look at the stats & compare the teams they played for all you want, but

Phil Hansen > Aaron Schobel

One less loser from the disgraceful 2003 team. It may have only been his 2nd year in the league, but he is still tainted.

Happy trails, Aaron. :worthy:

Now that it looks like it's over, you can look at the stats & compare the teams all you want, but

Phil Hansen > Aaron Schobel

One less loser from the disgraceful 2003 team. It may have only been his 2nd year in the league, but he is still tainted.

Happy trails, Aaron. :worthy:

2003 was Schobel's 3rd year, actually.