Aaron Schobel

At what point does Schobel become too far behind to contribute? He'll already have to transition to an entirely different position, in an entirely different defense. Right now, he's missing all of the installation, as well as the added experience of playing OLB in a 3-4 defense. At what point does it become, "thanks Aaron, but we have to go with the guys who have been here learning this entire summer." In my opinion, if he doesn't show for day 1 of mandatory training camp, you can pretty much write him off...

3-4 defenses usually keep around 8 LBs and 6 DL. At this moment, the LB position is overly crowded. Which 8 will make the opening day roster? I've highlighted the players I'd like to see survive the Turk, but either way, some talented players will be handed pink slips..

Aaron Schobel

Chris Kelsay

Paul Posluszny

Kawika Mitchell

Andra Davis

Aaron Maybin

Chris Ellis

Nic Harris

Reggie Torbor

Arthur Moats

Danny Batten

Antonio Coleman

Keith Ellison

Marcus Buggs

Ryan Manalac

Mike Wright

Jon Corto

I think he's gonna retire. Signing Torbor is a sign that the Bills adding depth to the linebacking corps and are getting ready to move on. IMO, Schobel would benefit as an OLB with having a straight shot at the QB and with being good against the run, but he's way behind the learning curve. Nobody knows how Schobel will do in coverage. I'd wish he'd stop the Brett Favre antics (with pondering retirement) and the Bruce Smith antics (not showing up to OTA's, mini-camps...etc) and get his butt to work.

3-4 defenses usually keep around 8 LBs and 6 DL.

Actually, I think 3-4 defenses usually keep 7 DL and 9 LB (4 DE, 3 NT, 4 ILB, 5 OLB).

The DL is set (Stroud, Edwards, Johnson, Carrington, Williams, Troup, Harvey).

The 4 ILB's will probably be Posluszny, Mitchell, Davis, and Moats.

The Schobel situation makes predicting the OLB's more difficult. The 1st spot goes to either Schobel or Kelsay. Maybin is a definite, Torbor and Batten are probable, and the 5th spot should be a toss-up between Ellis, Harris, and Coleman.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything from Schobel until the start of mandatory training camp. The dude is obviously using all the time he can to decide on his future pro career.

Actually, I think 3-4 defenses usually keep 7 DL and 9 LB (4 DE, 3 NT, 4 ILB, 5 OLB).

The DL is set (Stroud, Edwards, Johnson, Carrington, Williams, Troup, Harvey).

The 4 ILB's will probably be Posluszny, Mitchell, Davis, and Moats.

The Schobel situation makes predicting the OLB's more difficult. The 1st spot goes to either Schobel or Kelsay. Maybin is a definite, Torbor and Batten are probable, and the 5th spot should be a toss-up between Ellis, Harris, and Coleman.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything from Schobel until the start of mandatory training camp. The dude is obviously using all the time he can to decide on his future pro career.

Wasn't torber an ilb in Miami????

How many good players retire before they actually have to, or their skills are seriously and noticeably eroding? Jim Brown? Barry Sanders? Robert Smith? Tiki Barber? Maybe Elway but he was 38 and had just won two Super Bowls (not sure that counts). There ain't that many in any sport. These guys think they want to retire but when the season gets close they realize they can't give it up, and it ain't the money. Schobel will be back, even if he is a different breed of cat.

And no, I didn't just compare Aaron Schobel to Jim Brown or Barry Sanders.

How many good players retire before they actually have to, or their skills are seriously and noticeably eroding? Jim Brown? Barry Sanders? Robert Smith? Tiki Barber? Maybe Elway but he was 38 and had just won two Super Bowls (not sure that counts). There ain't that many in any sport. These guys think they want to retire but when the season gets close they realize they can't give it up, and it ain't the money. Schobel will be back, even if he is a different breed of cat.

And no, I didn't just compare Aaron Schobel to Jim Brown or Barry Sanders.

I don't know, it appeared to me that you did just make the comparison between Schobel and Jim Brown.... :thumbsup:

I don't know, it appeared to me that you did just make the comparison between Schobel and Jim Brown.... :thumbsup:

That's because you can't read. ;) I compared him to "good" players as opposed to mediocre or crappy players. Lots of mediocre or crappy players retire before they have to.

At what point does Schobel become too far behind to contribute? He'll already have to transition to an entirely different position, in an entirely different defense. Right now, he's missing all of the installation, as well as the added experience of playing OLB in a 3-4 defense. At what point does it become, "thanks Aaron, but we have to go with the guys who have been here learning this entire summer." In my opinion, if he doesn't show for day 1 of mandatory training camp, you can pretty much write him off...

3-4 defenses usually keep around 8 LBs and 6 DL. At this moment, the LB position is overly crowded. Which 8 will make the opening day roster? I've highlighted the players I'd like to see survive the Turk, but either way, some talented players will be handed pink slips..

Aaron Schobel

Chris Kelsay

Paul Posluszny

Kawika Mitchell

Andra Davis

Aaron Maybin

Chris Ellis

Nic Harris

Reggie Torbor

Arthur Moats

Danny Batten

Antonio Coleman

Keith Ellison

Marcus Buggs

Ryan Manalac

Mike Wright

Jon Corto

Two points:

1) I believe a lot of it is going to depend on how physically fit he's keeping himself. He's 32, right? 33? Not too many people just step right into the groove at that age. Anyone who has watched him over the past nine (?) seasons has to feel for the guy. Nine painful years with this franchise. One winning season. He ought to get a break of some sort. But last I checked, Gailey wasn't here when Schobel was drafted, and as such doesn't have any ties or commitment to this guy. If Schobel comes into camp slow and out of shape, he's just another player that hasn't proved himself in camp. I don't think there are going to be any "gimme" spots on this roster. New coach, new job.

2) I hope Nic Harris makes the team. I don't know why. I guess it was the highlight film I watched when he was drafted. That kid is a headhunter.

Aaron Schobel

Chris Kelsay

Paul Posluszny

Kawika Mitchell

Andra Davis

Aaron Maybin

Chris Ellis

Nic Harris

Reggie Torbor

Arthur Moats

Danny Batten

Antonio Coleman

Keith Ellison

Marcus Buggs

Ryan Manalac

Mike Wright

Jon Corto

IMO, Corto, Wright, Mitchell, and Ellison are gone, and Schobel will retire. When the team signs Torbor (Monday) they will be at their max roster limit, and when they start signing their draft pics they will have to dump people on the roster. I believe the magic number is 8, according to Chris Brown.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/06/06/r...ll-be-at-limit/

I also believe that Schobel wants a release and not retire so that he can go to another team with a chance to win. To me, 33 is still young. I just don't believe that he wants to call it quits yet.

We've definitely got some very good players at LB this year. I'd like to see Schobel play this year just to see how he would perform as an outside pass rushing LB. The Bills will be better with Schobel than without him.

Either way, I expect the Bills to take NINE LBs because LB becomes the key position in the 3-4; it also strengthens the ST.

With Schobel, LB corps looks like this:

OLB:

Schobel

Kelsay

Maybin

Torbor (can play OLB and ILB and ST)

Moats (better suited for OLB than Batten)

ILB:

Mitchell

Posluzsny

Davis

Batten (better suited for ILB)

That's a very strong group of LBs people.

Extras:

Ellis

Harris

Coleman

Corto.

Without Schobel, LB corps looks like this:

OLB:

Mitchell

Maybin

Kelsay

Moats (better suited for OLB than Batten)

Harris

ILB:

Posluzsny

Davis

Batten (better suited for ILB)

That's still a pretty strong group of LBs people.

Extras:

Ellis

Coleman

Corto.

Two points:

1) I believe a lot of it is going to depend on how physically fit he's keeping himself. He's 32, right? 33? Not too many people just step right into the groove at that age. Anyone who has watched him over the past nine (?) seasons has to feel for the guy. Nine painful years with this franchise. One winning season. He ought to get a break of some sort. But last I checked, Gailey wasn't here when Schobel was drafted, and as such doesn't have any ties or commitment to this guy. If Schobel comes into camp slow and out of shape, he's just another player that hasn't proved himself in camp. I don't think there are going to be any "gimme" spots on this roster. New coach, new job.

2) I hope Nic Harris makes the team. I don't know why. I guess it was the highlight film I watched when he was drafted. That kid is a headhunter.

The last thing you have to worry about is Aaron Schobel not being physically fit. :thumbsup:

We've definitely got some very good players at LB this year. I'd like to see Schobel play this year just to see how he would perform as an outside pass rushing LB. The Bills will be better with Schobel than without him.

New system or not, if Schobel comes back he's the best pass rusher on the team, and the biggest concern of any opposing QB. One need only look at the Bills D with and without him over the last few seasons to see his impact.

I also believe that Schobel wants a release and not retire so that he can go to another team with a chance to win. To me, 33 is still young. I just don't believe that he wants to call it quits yet.

He already said flat out that he does not wish to be traded, and that if he plays it will be with the Bills. I have no idea what he said that, or why he would say that but he did. He's a strange bird. He probably could retire unlike other guys who simply can't. I just don't think he will. He would have done it already.