A. Schobel?

Therein lies the problem. The Bills, I don't think, have heard from him one way or the other regarding his retirement or his participation as a player this year. As such, I think the only prudent thing to do would be to plan as if he is not going to be there this year and move forward. If he shows up and it works out, great. Another year for those new rookies to learn behind a veteran player. If not, you're ready for the worst.

IMO Schobel is doing two things: 1) He's sizing up what Nix is doing. The fact that he hasn't announced retirement is a good sign that he's liking what he sees. And 2) He's taking as much of the off-season off as he can. Wouldn't surprise me if Nix already knows Schobel is coming back but will wait until training camp to announce it.

PTR

IMO Schobel is doing two things: 1) He's sizing up what Nix is doing. The fact that he hasn't announced retirement is a good sign that he's liking what he sees. And 2) He's taking as much of the off-season off as he can. Wouldn't surprise me if Nix already knows Schobel is coming back but will wait until training camp to announce it.

PTR

that is my thinking too

I feel like the longer we hear nothing, the more likely is that he's coming back. If he REALLY...REALLY...REALLY didn't want to play in 2010, he would have decided to hang them up by now.

That pretty much sums it up.

PTR

Not sure about that. First no one knows if he fits in the 3-4 very well.

He is considering retirement. Remember Marv Levy's quote. " I find that people that talk about retirement already have."

I think Schoebel is done. Hello Mr. Carrington.

This is very low on the list of concerns. There or not, I do not see him as an impact player in the new scheme... Will be good if he is back and good if he retires....

Later Schobel...he's washed up anyway. May as well retire.

Later Schobel...he's washed up anyway. May as well retire.

Actually, he had a great year last year, and it's worth noting that after he got hurt in 2008, the Bills D fell off a cliff. Do some analysis before such posts. I suggest visits to footballoutsiders.com and profootballfocus.com. They'll both show you that he's one of the more effective DEs of the past decade, and that he had a very good year in 2009.

Actually, he had a great year last year, and it's worth noting that after he got hurt in 2008, the Bills D fell off a cliff. Do some analysis before such posts. I suggest visits to footballoutsiders.com and profootballfocus.com. They'll both show you that he's one of the more effective DEs of the past decade, and that he had a very good year in 2009.

I am fine with him retiring. It will speed up the rebuilding process. DOn't get me wrong, I do appreciate what he has done for the team. Fact remains though- players come and players go.

Nah hes not coming back...He just opened a new Schobel's restaurant in New Braunfels, Texas.

He should at least collect his paycheck for a couple of years.

Schobel's Restaurant

Hmmm...looks interesting. Southern cuisine. Some good reviews. Place needs a website though. Aaron should open a location in Buffalo.

PTR

Who cares if he made his intentions known to the FANS now or not. What is he going to do? Are they going to be mad that he hasn't shown up to rookie camp? He is a veteran who has been in the league long enough that as long as he shows up at training camp, he will be fine.

Its also not like the front office and coaches are just sitting around with no clue what to do if he decides not to come back. Right now, if they don't already know and just haven't announced it, they are working now as if he isn't coming back, and then if he does, great, its a plus

And BTW, Schoebel isn't "washed up" or done, hes one of the better players on this D and would be great if he came back cause he is a plus

It is his family's restaurant, and Aaron wants to be traded, or retire.

Aaron Schobel doesn't want to be traded or to retire he wants to be cut so he can make his own deal- probably with a 4-3 team in the South- what do the Texans play?

Listen.....who gives a rat's ass if he comes back or not....strategically, for one year.....so what........if the guy is contemplating retirement, he is not going to help this team either way. So what if he comes back this year......he'll only retire next year. What will that give us? He's not like a missing piece to a puzzle for a championship anyway. They already drafted plenty of D- line/LB help in anticipation of him not being here, and next draft will do the same, b/c even with him here, we still lacked ideal pass rush threat.....trust me.

One more thing......who was the biggest star on this team????....The only proven one is our PUNTER. Sorry, but this team needs a lot of work. A freaking punter is our most consistent and valuable player.

wake up Bills fans and stop worrying about Schobel.

And on the subject of his restaurant...have any of you been to New Braunfels???? I have.....it is a dead spot in Texas.....it is a seasonal anomoly....people go there for a certain time of year to go tubing down the Guadelupe...THAT's IT. It's not Dallas, ok.....here is the pic on google maps of this location...I was there years ago and nothing has changed

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&cb...hKaCajQOJk734DA

Great year last year? THe past 3 years (not including the season he was hurt) or so he shows up for maybe 3 or 4 games and thats it. Many games go by and you don't even HEAR his name, like he isn't even there.

Time to clean house on the D-Line. He won't fit into the 3-4 anyway...so I say who cares about him...Later Schobel.

Anybody have any new news on Schobel? Been kinda quiet.

Personally I think Schobel is getting old and tired and don't want to endure the rigors of training camp. He will probably show up a week or two before the season begins and announce, "Hey guys, I've just decided I'm ready to play this season."

Didn't we have this same thread before the draft? The responses will undoubtedly be the same as well.

Oh well, it's better than an announcer draft...

You know we have never done an announcer draft on here ... that sure sounds like an excellent way to discuss The Bills, football and sports in general ...

There can never be too many announcer drafts ....

Great year last year? THe past 3 years (not including the season he was hurt) or so he shows up for maybe 3 or 4 games and thats it. Many games go by and you don't even HEAR his name, like he isn't even there.

You should try watching the game instead of listening to the announcers to HEAR your opinion.

That says a lot to me.. I know he doesn't want to move his kids back and forth from TX...

the house has been on the market for the past 2-3 months. that it sold is the only new information here.

as i noted in the other Schobel thread, the AP reported he had his house on the market in March and that he had permanently relocated his family back to texas. if he elected to return for this season, he intended to rent.

jw