NFL Execs expect Gathier trade

especially when that link claims the bills and ravens have agreed in "principal."

also, all that i see on shefter's twitter is that the deal is not done per the terms speculated.

and then there's this: http://twitter.com/PatrickMoranBSD/status/13623947268

Pat Moran = dingleberry on Schefter's butt hair.

PTR

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

especially when that link claims the bills and ravens have agreed in "principal."

also, all that i see on shefter's twitter is that the deal is not done per the terms speculated.

and then there's this: http://twitter.com/PatrickMoranBSD/status/13623947268

While I agree that the Gaither trade is more than likely a pipe dream, Patrick Moran is not that much better than the original website that claims a deal is done. Moran has been called out countless times for simply making up stories and sources. My best guess is that he never emailed Schefter in the first place but is simply using his latest tweet as the basis for his own speculation.

I just dont see why the Ravens would rush to get this done. Why not wait it out a few months until training camp and then wait for injuries to pile up? I seriously doubt we'll see Gaither in a Bills uniform any time soon.

Pat Moran = dingleberry on Schefter's butt hair.

PTR

While I agree that the Gaither trade is more than likely a pipe dream, Patrick Moran is not that much better than the original website that claims a deal is done. Moran has been called out countless times for simply making up stories and sources. My best guess is that he never emailed Schefter in the first place but is simply using his latest tweet as the basis for his own speculation.

I just dont see why the Ravens would rush to get this done. Why not wait it out a few months until training camp and then wait for injuries to pile up? I seriously doubt we'll see Gaither in a Bills uniform any time soon.

Yes Moran is a wannabe of sorts and certainly isn't going to "break" any stories. I think the only reason I follow him on twitter is for "re-reporting" of things I might've otherwise missed.

I just posted that FWIW...guess i shld've included a disclaimer... or not since you two illuminated everyone anyway :thumbsup:

I'm also skeptical of him actually emailing schefter, since typically when you mention someone on twitter, you refer to them by their twitter screenname, ie "Spoke to @adam_schefter via email about..." Of course, when you do that, that person is automatically alerted that their name has been mentioned. I doubt schefter or any of his associates are searching for tweets mentioning "adam schefter" or "schefter." What I'm getting at is Moran probably did not use schefter's screenname so as not to call attention to his lie, if he is indeed lying.

however unlikely it may be that we get gaither today or soon, i'm really pulling for it. I know that gaither not being at practice fuels the speculation, but so does the off-season in general where nfl writers and bloggers are going to manipulate any of the little info they can to keep their names in your mouth and stories on your screen.

Per Shefter today

Adam_Schefter

RT @rmsmylie: Some blogs reporting Gaither to the Bills for a 2nd is done pending a contract extension. Can you confirm? ... Not true.

I agree in theory that it makes sense to wait. However, the other side is, if the dance partner is there, the deal is there, and the possibility of going after NO's Brown instead is there, AND you're certain you want to trade Gaither, then why not do it before it becomes a headache.

Per Shefter today

Adam_Schefter

RT @rmsmylie: Some blogs reporting Gaither to the Bills for a 2nd is done pending a contract extension. Can you confirm? ... Not true.

Link please, fwiw.

Moran's 1 credible contact is Schefter, and it is the only time he gets things right imo. I drew this conclusion from following Billzone some, but he def. does talk to him at times.

Jesus crist man how many times do I have to read a post about why the ravens are gonna sit and wait because it's in their best interest. Has it ever occured to you that a potential trade partner would want their new franchise lt in camp asap to learn playbook, gel with new line mates, etc. By the way if the ravens wait to long maybe potential trade partners will find a lt elsewhere....like on their own roster ( Ed Wang). Just sayin....

Let me say one thing:

I hope we get Gaither, but riddle me this:

1. Gaither will cost a lot of money to extend his contract and will probably cost a second round pick and more (Yabouty)

2. Gaither is another Peters in that he has motivational problems just like Peters.

3. Peters was a pro bowl player, Gaither is not.

4. Why didn't we sign Peters if Gaither is the same kind of players with similar issues, but not as good as Peters?

Sounds like we traded one headache (Peters) for another potential headache in Gaither.

Don't get me wrong I hope we make the trade because we having a gaping hole at LT, but I must say I am not convinced this guy won't be a head case like Peters with less ability.

I'm concerned that the Bills won't be able to negotiate a contract extension and this trade dies.

Let me say one thing:

1. Gaither will cost a lot of money to extend his contract and will probably cost a second round pick and more (Yabouty)

2. Gaither is another Peters in that he has motivational problems just like Peters.

4. Why didn't we sign Peters if Gaither is the same kind of players with similar issues, but not as good as Peters?

Sounds like we traded one headache (Peters) for another potential headache in Gaither.

Don't get me wrong I hope we make the trade because we having a gaping hole at LT, but I must say I am not convinced this guy won't be a head case like Peters with less ability.

I'm concerned that the Bills won't be able to negotiate a contract extension and this trade dies.

Because Peters was fat, out of shape and played like it. Plus he didn't want to be here and would have been a pain in the *ss in the locker room.

Let me say one thing:

Well, in case you haven't noticed it, there's a different man in charge of making deals and pulling the trigger.

I don't want to revisit the Jason Peters Nightmare, but ask yourself this - do you think that tawdry affair would have gone down in the same way if Nix were in charge back then?

Let me say one thing:

Gaither's motivational problems were partly a result of the Ravens drafting an LT in the first round the year after they got him and he had the starting job.

A starting LT who is of All-Pro Caliber is going to cost money. It is the second or third most important position on the football field. That's not news. Peters didn't get paid because he didn't deserve to get paid for the reasons that are not going to follow.

Peters was in the Pro Bowl, but he was not really a Pro Bowler. Looking at the guy's play he was a sieve. His play in Philly is heavily criticized and some think they overpaid to get him. Compare Gaither's and Peter's stats. They are available on any sports news site, and, of course, on NFL.com. They are far from the same player. And Gaither doesn't want to be in Baltimore because they are treating him like ****. I'd want out too. The fact is, he is a top-5 tackle and blows away anything we have on this team. If he gets a deal like what Peters wanted, fine. He's a better player and wants to be here. Peters was a whiny ***** who was overweight, slow, and not worth that kind of investment.

Say what you want, but Gaither would be a much better bang for the buck than Peters. Even if he gets 10 mil a season. Don't think it will be that much. Closer to eight or nine with a bunch of it guaranteed and front loaded. That seems more likely, but to say that Gaither isn't as good as Peters shows a lack of broad football knowledge and observation of the LT position in the NFL.

No team will give up a 2nd rounder for a one year stop gap if their starting LT goes down. You'll get top dollar for Gaither from a team like the bills who have no long term solution at the position.

Gaither's motivational problems were partly a result of the Ravens drafting an LT in the first round the year after they got him and he had the starting job.

A starting LT who is of All-Pro Caliber is going to cost money. It is the second or third most important position on the football field. That's not news. Peters didn't get paid because he didn't deserve to get paid for the reasons that are not going to follow.

Peters was in the Pro Bowl, but he was not really a Pro Bowler. Looking at the guy's play he was a sieve. His play in Philly is heavily criticized and some think they overpaid to get him. Compare Gaither's and Peter's stats. They are available on any sports news site, and, of course, on NFL.com. They are far from the same player. And Gaither doesn't want to be in Baltimore because they are treating him like ****. I'd want out too. The fact is, he is a top-5 tackle and blows away anything we have on this team. If he gets a deal like what Peters wanted, fine. He's a better player and wants to be here. Peters was a whiny ***** who was overweight, slow, and not worth that kind of investment.

Say what you want, but Gaither would be a much better bang for the buck than Peters. Even if he gets 10 mil a season. Don't think it will be that much. Closer to eight or nine with a bunch of it guaranteed and front loaded. That seems more likely, but to say that Gaither isn't as good as Peters shows a lack of broad football knowledge and observation of the LT position in the NFL.

Correct me if I am wrong but Peters was a UDFA, was given a contract. That rookie contract was re-negotiated and extended when Peters played RT, once he moved to LT he wanted LT money. He then sat out of training camps when the bills said come to camp and we will talk, he didn't, eventually turning up in week 2 ( i believe) of the season. In a way I understand the FO moves, they signed him off the heap, trained him to be an OL and then tore up his rookie deal and gave him a raise. re-negotiating a second a contract while technically you were stil on your first is a bit much. Then again, he pouted, got traded and got paid so I guess it worked out for him.

When Peters came back from his holdout, he stunk. I had no problem trading him to Philly

When Peters came back from his holdout, he stunk. I had no problem trading him to Philly

Peters quit on the Bills after the holdout. With the Eagles, he's just like he was here. A few "Wow" plays a game and a few "Wow, that guy really sucks" plays where his QB gets killed or he takes a false start on 3rd and inches.

He's never been consistent enough to earn much respect from me. I would have liked the Bills to keep him because he was certainly better than Bell but he was a PIA and I don't shed tears at his departure. If the Bills get Gaither, that solves the LT problem and we'll have a guy who's younger (maybe the same age?) and better than Peters.

Gaither, Levitre, and Wood (if he can recover) would be a nice line to build around for years to come.

Correct me if I am wrong but Peters was a UDFA, was given a contract. That rookie contract was re-negotiated and extended when Peters played RT, once he moved to LT he wanted LT money. He then sat out of training camps when the bills said come to camp and we will talk, he didn't, eventually turning up in week 2 ( i believe) of the season. In a way I understand the FO moves, they signed him off the heap, trained him to be an OL and then tore up his rookie deal and gave him a raise. re-negotiating a second a contract while technically you were stil on your first is a bit much. Then again, he pouted, got traded and got paid so I guess it worked out for him.

That's all correct, but I guess I'm missing the point. Were you agreeing or not? The fact is, Buffalo got value for Peters when they sent him to Philly, where he has continued his absolute suckitude, and people are complaining about his play for the money they are giving him. Buffalo got a first round pick, which we used to select Eric Wood. Good value. Trade a crappy lineman for a very good one. However, we will be getting even better value by trading a second rounder to get Gaither, if that in fact turns out to be the case. He is a top five LT and we need one. He's worth a first rounder, IMO, and well worth it. Buffalo can then focus on its other needs in next years draft, though what those will be come the end of next season, I don't know. I suspect they will still be a quarterback followed by wide receiver and depth on the OL and DL, as per usual.

That being said, I agree with you, in what I believe was you agreeing with me.

That's all correct, but I guess I'm missing the point. Were you agreeing or not? The fact is, Buffalo got value for Peters when they sent him to Philly, where he has continued his absolute suckitude, and people are complaining about his play for the money they are giving him. Buffalo got a first round pick, which we used to select Eric Wood. Good value. Trade a crappy lineman for a very good one. However, we will be getting even better value by trading a second rounder to get Gaither, if that in fact turns out to be the case. He is a top five LT and we need one. He's worth a first rounder, IMO, and well worth it. Buffalo can then focus on its other needs in next years draft, though what those will be come the end of next season, I don't know. I suspect they will still be a quarterback followed by wide receiver and depth on the OL and DL, as per usual.

Is that from the same place that says Lil Donte is a top 9 safety?

If he was a top 5 LT, Oher would be staying at RT.

I was agreeing with you, I quoted your post as it was referring to Peters. There have been a few posts that were trying to make the case that they should have just signed Peters. I understood the FO postioning in negotiations and he Peters did suck when he did return. Wood for an overated headache who wanted out in Peters was a good deal, IMO

Sorry for any confusion I was trying to add a little context.

Is that from the same place that says Lil Donte is a top 9 safety?

If he was a top 5 LT, Oher would be staying at RT.

Sometimes I agree with you Rico. Not this time. I never said that Donte was a top nine safety, for the record. I may have said that he is a good player and that calling him a bust is not accurate, but I've never said that. Not accusing, just stating for the record.

As for Gaither being a top-five tackle, to answer your question no, and I disagree with your conclusion. First, it is possible for a team to have two top five tackles on their roster. It happens. When Oher was drafted, he was drafted to play right tackle because Gaither was their starter at LT. Gaither was very very good, then he got hurt. Oher was moved to LT. Oher was very very good. Gaither realized that he was very unlikely to earn his starting spot at LT back and that his short rookie contract would be up after this season. Now he is at RT, a position that will pay him less money and devestate his stock next offseason if he goes into free agency because he would be in the RT pool in terms of contract negotiations. He wants out. We want him. Statistically there is little to suggest that Gaither is not a top five tackle. Almost everyone who knows football universally says that he is a top five tackle and that Baltimore is the enviable, or unenviable, position of having two top five tackles on their roster. Don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

I was agreeing with you, I quoted your post as it was referring to Peters. There have been a few posts that were trying to make the case that they should have just signed Peters. I understood the FO postioning in negotiations and he Peters did suck when he did return. Wood for an overated headache who wanted out in Peters was a good deal, IMO

Sorry for any confusion I was trying to add a little context.

Point understood. Completely agree. 100%. Essentially trading Peters for Wood was a huge upgrade, and IMO getting Gaither for a 2nd round pick, regardless of where in the second round it is, would be a steal in terms of value. Should the FO pull this off (knock on wood) I don't think there can be much of an argument that this offseason seems to have set us on the right track.

I'm a little concerned that BAL decided to move him over to RT for early workouts. If they don't like his attitude, they wouldn't make such a blatant move and expect another team to fork over a 2nd rounder. They'd leave him at LOT.

Also, he's going to demand a large contract extension, as he'll be heading into the 4th and final year of his rookie contract. I can see him getting 7+M per over 4 or more seasons.

You could be right. My opinion is that you're low by a lot. I'm guessing that he demands a Peters-level salary. That's the market for top LTs.

Let me say one thing:

I agree with a lot of your post. But Peters was never a problem till we didn't negotiate seriously when he was the 32nd lowest paid starting LT in the league. He'd never had motivation problems till then. And we never heard about motivation problems with Gaither till he also had contract problems. IMHO, a market-level contract makes the problems go away just like it did with Peters.

Because Peters was fat, out of shape and played like it. Plus he didn't want to be here and would have been a pain in the *ss in the locker room.

Re: locker room problems .... LINK?

There is none. There are a few vets saying he should get his ass to camp during the holdout, but that's it. There's also Marv saying Peters was a sourpuss, and who cares.

Re: fat and out of shape ... LINK?

Again, there is none, outside of a bunch of bulletin board complainers. Plenty of links out there saying that he wasn't in game shape, and that game shape is impossible to get into outside practices and games. Plenty of people saying that he was in shape when he reported, that he'd been working out but not in game shape.

You're right that he played badly when he started that year. That's what happens, particularly when you change the signals in the offseason. But, both sides are at fault for that holdout. If we'd given him $8.5 or so mill the year before, he'd still be here.

It was never reported that the Bills liked Clausen. In fact there was plenty of word from Schefter and others that the Bills didn't want Clausen (which the draft proved to be correct). Mocks still had the Bills drafting Clausen because the team needs a quarterback. It was, however, reported that the Bills liked Tebow.

You really believe Nix when he said Chan Gailey was the one and only guy they wanted to hire as the head coach all along throughout that long and drawn out process of being turned down by candidate after candidate? Come on now.

Shannahan and Cowher to my knowledge were probably offered the job and turned it down. At the time there were all kinds of rumors about the Bills offering the job to Jim Harbaugh, Marty Schottenheimer, Brian Schottenheimer, and others. To my knowledge, there has never really been any confirmation that these or any others were actually offered the job. My point was that those of you who trust in Shefter's twitters may very well end up the twits.

Well, in case you haven't noticed it, there's a different man in charge of making deals and pulling the trigger.

I don't want to revisit the Jason Peters Nightmare, but ask yourself this - do you think that tawdry affair would have gone down in the same way if Nix were in charge back then?

The same man is still overseeing the team dollars, and his name is Jeff Littman. This team has a budget, much like every other team in the NFL, and if we learned anything from Polian's firing, it's that dollars always trump the guy running personnel. And then there's Jim Overdorf, who still carries a lot of weight at OBD.

Not to dredge up the Peters situation again, but he received a contract in the summer of 2006 after he'd become the starting ROT in 2005. Buffalo moved him to LOT after the bye in 06 and he performed well through the end of 2007. He then wanted a new deal, and Buffalo flat out told him they weren't doing anything. Early in 2008, the Bills began negotiations with Lee Evans, and weren't going to do two contracts at once, or at least Overdorf couldn't fit Peters into the schedule.

We know the rest, but Buffalo said they weren't negotiating, and Peters sat until the home opener rather than lose game checks.

The article said "sometime before the season" The sooner the quicker. This would allow Bell to move to RT which may be better for him.

If this happens for next years round 2 pick I'd be ecstatic.

The sooner they trade Lynch and acquire Gaither the better, JMO

I think Bell becomes the backup at LT. I think that is his position whether he can play there or ends up not making it, and he doesn't have any advantage on a move to RT. And Meredith and Wang compete at RT.

I too think a next year round 2 is fine, even if we have to pay the guy. Paying a good LT is a good thing for good football teams, and I don't see anybody else here that fits the bill.

I don't understand the desire to get rid of Lynch. I think he is a power guy who fits in with Spiller and Freddie, and I don't see us needing to dump him. We need a pick that is worth the move, not just to free up a spot for someone from the practice squad because he got stopped by the cops once and eluded them another time.

Let me say one thing:

Keeping Peters would have "cost" us a 1st rounder and more money. So comparing a 1st and loads of money to a second and somewhat less money isn't really direct.

Also, Peters had proven that he was willing to hold out and half-ass it for the team that made him. Gaither hasn't held out or demanded anything, and might just be interested in playing with a chip on his shoulder over the whole thing.

Keeping Peters would have "cost" us a 1st rounder and more money. So comparing a 1st and loads of money to a second and somewhat less money isn't really direct.

Also, Peters had proven that he was willing to hold out and half-ass it for the team that made him. Gaither hasn't held out or demanded anything, and might just be interested in playing with a chip on his shoulder over the whole thing.

Exactly. I am fine with getting Wood out of the Peters trade.

Maybe it is just me, but didn't the Bills just "play hardball" with a LT with attitude issues?

(Not saying we don't need a LT, but irony is another dish served cold.)

Our front office has drastically changed since then

That's all correct, but I guess I'm missing the point. Were you agreeing or not? The fact is, Buffalo got value for Peters when they sent him to Philly, where he has continued his absolute suckitude, and people are complaining about his play for the money they are giving him. Buffalo got a first round pick three picks, which we used to select Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson and Danny Batten. Good value. Trade a crappy lineman for a very good one. However, we will be getting even better value by trading a second rounder to get Gaither, if that in fact turns out to be the case. He is a top five LT and we need one. He's worth a first rounder, IMO, and well worth it. Buffalo can then focus on its other needs in next years draft, though what those will be come the end of next season, I don't know. I suspect they will still be a quarterback followed by wide receiver and depth on the OL and DL, as per usual.

Fixed!

If a Gaither trade is made, Leodis McKelvin won't be a part of it;

Leodis McKelvin-DB- Bills May. 8 - 4:48 pm et

Bills RCB Leodis McKelvin is reportedly unavailable for a potential Jared Gaither trade.

Rumors of a Gaither-to-Buffalo trade persist. Adam Schefter shot down a report of a second-rounder going to Baltimore, and we've also seen one scenario that has Ashton Youboty going to the Ravens. McKelvin, however, is staying put.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Related: Ravens

Youboty would be ok but I don't want to see McGee or McKelvin leave.