A Question

Bill, I won't believe it is motivated by selling tickets until you (or anyone else) find one person that will say he wasn't buying tickets before, but will to see Spiller. I'm not sure that person exists.

Now, if Spiller improves the offense to the point where they start winning games because of him, and that sells tickets, how can you fault that?

Bingo, on both accounts.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too was initially dismayed with picking a RB in round 1, but consider two things: I have not heard anyone suggest that Spiller was anything other than the best player on the board at the time, and I can't think of another guy at a position of greater need that I would have had them pick in that slot. My only criticism of the pick is that they did not trade down; I'm sure they had offers.

I don't ever like picking a RB in the first half of round 1. They are just too easy to find in later rounds or even as UFAs (see F Jackson). On the other hand, rookie RBs tend to contribute right away and have a pretty low bust factor. (Even Marshawn was not really a bust; he just wasn't worthy of the 12th overall pick.). The question with Spiller is whether he will be another Reggie Bush or another Chris Johnson. We'll see.

The above leads me to the following question:

After Ralph's quote about the team needing "excitement," etc., I am wondering how many of you believe that the selection of Spiller did NOT involve the sale of tickets and profit? To be clear, I make the case that taking a RB at #9, let alone a small one who might be more of a 3rd down back, was a poor decision. BUT, Spiller will sell tickets and Ralph will profit. This is a given.

...how many of you think that the Spiller selection was motivated more by Ralph's profit motive than Nix wanting him to improve the football team?

Bill, my belief is that the top brass, including Ralph, had pre-draft meetings where they laid out for Ralph several scenarios and approaches to the draft as a whole, and Round 1 in particular. There were probably discussions about whether to go with the safer route by taking Bulaga or Dan Williams, or swinging for the fences and taking the BPA, Spiller. These options would've been presented to Ralph and he would've given his input/directive. The ticket sale impact definitely would've played a role in Ralph's view, but I do believe Spiller was also probably Nix's first choice as well. In other words, it was probably presented to Ralph as, This is where we'd like to go but you should know that there are safer alternatives, and he said, Go for it. Does that make sense?

What makes Dan Williams or Bryan Bulaga a "safer" choice than CJ Spiller? I don't see it. It isn't as if Spiller was a one-year

producer or has questionable character/work ethic or a history of major injuries.

Not to speak for Coach Tuesday, but maybe "safer" wasn't the right word for you?. Perhaps "conventional" (build the team through the trenches) might have been a better description.

As for the body of Coach Tuesday's scenario, I think it's a good one. Ralph clearly was stoked about the draft (just the fact that he made a public appearance is my support for this view) and wanted to be involved in the process. He's the owner, that's his prerogative. Donahoe froze Ralph out. I'm sure Nix has enough respect to at least involve Ralph in the process...even if it's a token, ceremonial, role.

I don't think the selection of Spiller was made with the thought that it would sell tickets. If you remember Nevergiveup's posting about who the Bills would likely draft, he said that if the top two OTs fell to us, they would have, more than likely, taken one of them.

People who think that the Spiller pick doesn't fill a need on this team, need to think about how many playmakers this team had to begin with before the draft. He is also one of the only guys that was available that could come in and contribute on Day 1. He makes this team better and I think the fact that it will put people in the seats is just an added value.

I agree TDJ. As an analog, the Titans were VERY HEAVILY criticized for drafting Chris Johnson. The team had no wide receivers and had other areas of need. But Johnson has proven to be the best player available AND an electrifying player with which to market the team.

Here's a question: Is it possible that one player can be the Best player available AND a marketable commodity at the same time?

First, let me say that I have indeed calmed down after being traumatized by the Spiller pick. I still am angry at the pick mind you, but am thrilled at the rest of the selections, despite the fact that I admittedly know next to nothing about them.

My thing is if we are going to miss on a pick, please let's miss on a big, tough player instead of Ashton Youboty. Nix is a football man who took a look at the weak sisters brought in here by Levy/Jauron and saw that the Bills needed to get bigger and stronger. If any 3 of these big guys turn out good, the team will instantly improve and gain respect. I applaud and seriously appreciate this philosophy.

After Ralph's quote about the team needing "excitement," etc., I am wondering how many of you believe that the selection of Spiller did NOT involve the sale of tickets and profit? To be clear, I make the case that taking a RB at #9, let alone a small one who might be more of a 3rd down back, was a poor decision. BUT, Spiller will sell tickets and Ralph will profit. This is a given.

So again, without doing a poll, how many of you think that the Spiller selection was motivated more by Ralph's profit motive than Nix wanting him to improve the football team?

A good friend of mine agrees with you 100% and calls this a "Ralph Wilson pick" I disagree for a lot of the reasons already discussed. The best proof that it wasn't done to sell tickets is, as some have stated, that it wasn't Clausen or Tebow.

This guy is NOT just a third down back. His value is all over the map. He contributes in so many ways it's sick. He's a blur of a RB, a receiver, a KR, a P returner and willing blocker. I honestly think he'll be good enough to be worth three wins this year.

Even if a team stacks the line against him it doesn't seem to matter much in stopping him. In fact once he turns the corner it appears that stacking the line is shooting themselves in the foot. It's almost like it's better to play nickle defense when he's in the game on first downs. Hopefully Gailey can turn one of the ---- QB's into shinola and other teams stacking the line will actually make a difference in the passing game.

Despite Nix's puffery about Lynch I think almost everyone knows Lynch won't be here at the start of the season so it was in fact a need pick. FJ is a very good RB but he's not a stellar RB. CJ, from the looks of things, is a stellar RB.

Bingo, on both accounts.

Why are you so sure? Even if Spiller doesn't cause a direct increase in sales, the very least he will do is stop some curious fans from cancelling their season tickets. C'mon my friend, are you telling me that Spiller is not more of a draw than Brandon Graham?

Mr. Wilson is a money man. When he talks of excitement, he means profit. The man made 25 thousand dollars into 800 million. And I am not one who hates him mind you; I thank him for keeping the team in WNY.

That said, I am astonished that so many do not think that the razzle-dazzle (and the profit that comes with it) were a strong factor in taking Spiller, this on a team with garbage at Offensive Tackle.

First, let me say that I have indeed calmed down after being traumatized by the Spiller pick. I still am angry at the pick mind you, but am thrilled at the rest of the selections, despite the fact that I admittedly know next to nothing about them.

My thing is if we are going to miss on a pick, please let's miss on a big, tough player instead of Ashton Youboty. Nix is a football man who took a look at the weak sisters brought in here by Levy/Jauron and saw that the Bills needed to get bigger and stronger. If any 3 of these big guys turn out good, the team will instantly improve and gain respect. I applaud and seriously appreciate this philosophy.

So again, without doing a poll, how many of you think that the Spiller selection was motivated more by Ralph's profit motive than Nix wanting him to improve the football team?

Looking back at this post, what bothers me the most is the bolded section. You're basically saying you don't care about how talented the specific players are, all that matters is what position they play. You don't care about how good the players we draft are, you simply want to spend 7 picks on the line. So we could have drafted Kyle Calloway at #9 and you would have been much happier than having Spiller.

Reaching for a need is never ok, no matter the position.

You know maybe, if the OL jells, Spills gains like 1500 yds. Then how would you feel about the pick?

Looking back at this post, what bothers me the most is the bolded section. You're basically saying you don't care about how talented the specific players are, all that matters is what position they play. You don't care about how good the players we draft are, you simply want to spend 7 picks on the line. So we could have drafted Kyle Calloway at #9 and you would have been much happier than having Spiller.

Yeah but nobody is really addressing his main point, which is that we've now been through the draft and there are no starting-caliber tackles on the roster. How can that not be a HUGE concern?

Why are you so sure? Even if Spiller doesn't cause a direct increase in sales, the very least he will do is stop some curious fans from cancelling their season tickets. C'mon my friend, are you telling me that Spiller is not more of a draw than Brandon Graham?

Mr. Wilson is a money man. When he talks of excitement, he means profit. The man made 25 thousand dollars into 800 million. And I am not one who hates him mind you; I thank him for keeping the team in WNY.

That said, I am astonished that so many do not think that the razzle-dazzle (and the profit that comes with it) were a strong factor in taking Spiller, this on a team with garbage at Offensive Tackle.

As someone who was probably just as upset as you with the pick of Spiller (I've since calmed down a little when I saw the rest of the draft), I think I have to agree with the majority of posters, here. If Ralph wnated someone just to sell tickets, I think they would have selected a QB at 9.

Spiller may be exciting and may score lots of touchdowns, but as a fairly average (to below average) follower of college ball, I hadn't heard of him before the draft. Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, however, even I knew who they were and would have been more excited to see drafted. So, I have to say if they wanted Spiller because his name, alone, will sell tickets... well, the FO is really clueless.

Regarding Spiller... am I the only one that watches those highlights on youtube and sees a guy running through wide open holes? What is he going to do when none of those holes are there in Sept? When, more likely, he has to start juking someone 3 yards in the backfield? So, color me skeptical until I see the offensive line do something other than stand aroundwhile guys run past them.

When our turn came up to make a pick there weren't any OTs rated at the level Spiller was rated. He was a top ten pick drafted where he was ranked. Most analysts are claiming that the next drafting team, Jacksonville, desperately wanted to take him.

On offense the Bills have few playmakers. Spiller's presence in the backfield elevates the level of play of the OL, qb and receivers, especially for Evans. There are a number of commentators who say the Bills should have drafted for need, but what you haven't heard is that Spiller isn't a high caliber player.

Your comments about the Bills drafting Spiller for marketing reasons doesn't hold water because the Bills fill the stadium whether they are good or bad, boring or not. The best way to view the Spiller pick is to ask if he was drafted at a point he was valued. The Bills drafted a top ten player with the ninth pick. This pick made a lot of sense from a football standpoint.

Yeah but nobody is really addressing his main point, which is that we've now been through the draft and there are no starting-caliber tackles on the roster. How can that not be a HUGE concern?

I'll preface this by admitting again that I'm a bit of an optimist. That said, I believe the team has enough viable candidates for a good right tackle to emerge.

But I agree with you about the left tackle situation. Unlike some posters, I didn't see a QB worth taking high BUT I am a bit disappointed that the Bills didn't see good value at LT until the 5th round. But again, this is not a one-year rebuild. Maybe their attempts to trade back into round one involved an OT. I don't know.

As someone who was probably just as upset as you with the pick of Spiller (I've since calmed down a little when I saw the rest of the draft), I think I have to agree with the majority of posters, here. If Ralph wnated someone just to sell tickets, I think they would have selected a QB at 9.

Spiller may be exciting and may score lots of touchdowns, but as a fairly average (to below average) follower of college ball, I hadn't heard of him before the draft.

Agreed. Casual football fans (at least before the draft buildup) had not heard of CJ Spiller. I'm a hardcore NFL fan and a very lukewarm NCAA football fan. I was not familiar with him at all.

Now to Bill from NYC's assertion, Spiller might POST FACTO be a better marketing tool than a lot of other players. Not so much as far as generating excitement on draft day, IMO. The initial reaction was pretty negative, too.

Come on Dr. Ramius (I'm still quite proud of you :unsure: ), let's keep it real, shall we?

Once upon a time, the Bills had the best defense in the league. They had the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, AND Bruce Smith, and a host of other fine players, right? They lost football games because they couldn't block. Do you dispute this?

Later on, we had a certain QB that you were quite fond of. He needed blocking, and they drafted Whitner, McCargo, Youboty and Simpson with the first 4 picks, and by the way Levy/Jauron actually gave away an early third rounder to acquire this pile of junk.

How did said quarterback make out?

Maybe the 2 late round blockers will be good players. I certainly hope so because you simply cannot hide 2 lousy offensive tackles in the NFL. It can't be done. You MUST know this, or am I telling you something new? :doh:

Maybe Spiller will be a hall of fame running back. I freaking hope so. What I am saying is that he will not do so well if he doesn't have blocking. Which one of our qbs is good enough (with no blocking) to keep defenses off the line?

Sorry, I stick to the belief that Mr. Wilson doesn't care about this stuff as much as he cares about making cash, and he is great at doing so. WE worry about winning more than he does. He can soothe himself after a loss by counting his billion dollars.

Either way, GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Dr. Ramius (I'm still quite proud of you :unsure: ), let's keep it real, shall we?

Once upon a time, the Bills had the best defense in the league. They had the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, AND Bruce Smith, and a host of other fine players, right? They lost football games because they couldn't block. Do you dispute this?

Later on, we had a certain QB that you were quite fond of. He needed blocking, and they drafted Whitner, McCargo, Youboty and Simpson with the first 4 picks, and by the way Levy/Jauron actually gave away an early third rounder to acquire this pile of junk.

Maybe the 2 late round blockers will be good players. I certainly hope so because you simply cannot hide 2 lousy offensive tackles in the NFL. It can't be done. You MUST know this, or am I telling you something new? :doh:

Maybe Spiller will be a hall of fame running back. I freaking hope so. What I am saying is that he will not do so well if he doesn't have blocking. Which one of our qbs is good enough (with no blocking) to keep defenses off the line?

Sorry, I stick to the belief that Mr. Wilson doesn't care about this stuff as much as he cares about making cash, and he is great at doing so. WE worry about winning more than he does. He can soothe himself after a loss by counting his billion dollars.

Bill,

All due respect, but you really haven't refuted Raimus's point about your stance. It's seems pretty clear that you did want the Bills to draft an OT at number 9 no matter that those tackles who were available at that point would have been reaches.

Not to dispute your point about the Bills failing to draft o-line under the previous regime. I do recall them spending a number four pick on an OT who did not quite work out. What was his name? Wilkins? Willens? Willfong?

I agree :unsure:

I was at first upset even thinking about taking another RB in the draft weeks ago when Charles Davis had him going to the Bills in his mock draft, I got over it once I started watching him play.. I think the Bills even tried to move up in the first round again to tab Brian Bulaga and then stopped trying once GB selected him, hence all the talk about the Bills going after Tim Tebow. The Bills took the best player available to them every round from what I saw.

Spiller is going to put fear in the hearts of opposing defenses... just the thought of lining him up in the slot has got to scare the crap outta them.

Have you guys ever watched him play ...? When the guy is 100% he is a blur and a game changer.

He's definitely got special talent on kick returns. I can see the Bills designing return plays just for him. If he translates that skill to the NFL level we could have a very interesting team next year.

I think the bills tried to trade back into the 1st round for a OT but were not successfulll

That being said.....CJ Spiller had 600 carries in college....anyone calling him a 3rd down back is just not being sensible.

How big was Thurmans Thomas....youung L.T.....Chris Johnson? The instincts of this kid are incredible they are off the charts.......I think this kid can be better then Adrian Peterson and NOBODY is questioning where HE was drafted.

The plays where he comes to a complete stop.....makes a subtile junk move without dancing......and then goes from standing to full stride are Barry Sanderesqu.......except that this kids full stride would like Barry Sanders in the dust. I envision him in situations that Marshawn Lynch would be in and Lynch would dance too long then take a hit......CJ can make people miss

Also....keep in mind that when you have a back behind you with 4.2 speed your offensive linemen dont have to hold their blocks as long. And if you got defenses petrified of your running attack it is going to open up your passing game and slow down the pass rush.

I don't think marketing had anything to do with the Spiller pick...period. He was the consensus best player in the draft this year and everyone else at 9 was a reach. The Bills just went with talent over need this year.

I have come to the conclusion that some of you guys have been so traumatized by poor Bills football that you can't see talent any more. Spiller is special. He is the definition of playmaker. You don't wait till the stars align and get the perfect o-line before getting offensive weapons. Spiller will be around long enough for those issues to work themselves out. So much talk and speculation about NOTHING. Come September, all this mindless chatter won't add up to anything.

I would have liked to see them address at OT at earlier point, but i really can't complain about the guys they drafted. And you seem to be ruling out that Some guys like Meredith may develop to the point where they are a suitable starter. Remember, the guy is going through his first full offseason, which is a time where young players often make major strides in strength and development. He's also going to have a full training camp with the same team (he was plucked off GB's practice squad). I'm not saying we can count on him to be a starter, but it is possible that the coaching staff sees things they like in him.

And for the 1,000,000th time, i fail to see what the '06 draft has anything to do with the '10 draft. it simply doesn't. Jauron and Levy aren't affiliated with this team. its about time to let it go.

As much as it's about Ralph selling tickets, it's also about Buddy selling Ralph. If he drafts a left tackle and the Lynch and Jackson have great seasons Ralph's not going to notice much except that Levy's guys are getting the job done.. If the Bills best offensive performance comes from Buddy's guy, Ralph will trust Buddy more. It'll say "Look, the guys I bring in take care of business. Let me clear out the rest of the roster and you pay the replacements, and we'll be in the playoffs."