A Question

First, let me say that I have indeed calmed down after being traumatized by the Spiller pick. I still am angry at the pick mind you, but am thrilled at the rest of the selections, despite the fact that I admittedly know next to nothing about them.

My thing is if we are going to miss on a pick, please let's miss on a big, tough player instead of Ashton Youboty. Nix is a football man who took a look at the weak sisters brought in here by Levy/Jauron and saw that the Bills needed to get bigger and stronger. If any 3 of these big guys turn out good, the team will instantly improve and gain respect. I applaud and seriously appreciate this philosophy.

The above leads me to the following question:

After Ralph's quote about the team needing "excitement," etc., I am wondering how many of you believe that the selection of Spiller did NOT involve the sale of tickets and profit? To be clear, I make the case that taking a RB at #9, let alone a small one who might be more of a 3rd down back, was a poor decision. BUT, Spiller will sell tickets and Ralph will profit. This is a given.

So again, without doing a poll, how many of you think that the Spiller selection was motivated more by Ralph's profit motive than Nix wanting him to improve the football team?

Bill, we knew this choice wouldn't please you, but After the top two LTs were gone, Spiller was the right choice, and not for ticket sales. He has the talent, and speed, a rare combination. He can add another dimension to our offense, which is sorely needed.

I would have liked a top Tackle, but it didn't happen. As you pointed out, the rest of the draft wa a bout getter bigger or stronger or both, which the whole team needed.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I can prove or disprove Ralph's intention on selling tickets via Spiller, but I can hopefully give some added points for discussion for Buddy's rationale.

Great Buffalo Rumblings Article on Buddy

In that article, the author does a great job of continuing an older piece on how Buddy style has been honed under Polian, Butler and Smith.

If fact, watching ESPN or the NFL Network during the draft and hearing them discuss how there are two schools of thought in the draft and both are right - the Polian model of letting the pick fall to you (in general) and the Belicheck/Reid model of trading here, there, everywhere and playing the board as much as you can.

Thank you for that. Great article. We often go by experience, especially when things work out. Good insight into Buddy's mind.

Funniest comment from the article :

The player I would like least at #9 would be my sister’s cat, Captain Creamsicle. She does have a great work ethic and agility, but I’m really concerned that at 9 lbs., she’s too small to play safety in the NFL. She also bites way too often on play action and is easily distracted by someone waving string in the crowd. Lastly, her wonderlic score was pretty awful, answering "meow meow meow" for most of the questions- Dr. Brackish Okun

First, let me say that I have indeed calmed down after being traumatized by the Spiller pick. I still am angry at the pick mind you, but am thrilled at the rest of the selections, despite the fact that I admittedly know next to nothing about them.

My thing is if we are going to miss on a pick, please let's miss on a big, tough player instead of Ashton Youboty. Nix is a football man who took a look at the weak sisters brought in here by Levy/Jauron and saw that the Bills needed to get bigger and stronger. If any 3 of these big guys turn out good, the team will instantly improve and gain respect. I applaud and seriously appreciate this philosophy.

After Ralph's quote about the team needing "excitement," etc., I am wondering how many of you believe that the selection of Spiller did NOT involve the sale of tickets and profit? To be clear, I make the case that taking a RB at #9, let alone a small one who might be more of a 3rd down back, was a poor decision. BUT, Spiller will sell tickets and Ralph will profit. This is a given.

So again, without doing a poll, how many of you think that the Spiller selection was motivated more by Ralph's profit motive than Nix wanting him to improve the football team?

UMM. Your crusade is silly. At that position the Bills picked the best player available. Spiller is insane. You guys with this conspiracy theory crack me up. Did you want Anthony Davis vs Spiller?

Name the last team to win a super bowl without a star player. It doesnt matter what that position is. The Steelers won the Super Bowl with a star safety and a star OLB and arguably a star QB. The Bills have no stars. Spiller has a really good chance of becoming a star player and you can't win without them, in any sport. There really isn't any formula for winning outside of a couple star players at any position and a shitload of good to very good player all working together and well coached. That's it.

I wanted a OT but there wasn't one of the top ones there when we drafted. As far as RB goes look at who we have. A older Jackson who is good. And a younger Lynch who didn't show alot last year. Now we have a RB who looks like he can be a star in this league . I was alittle bit upset about the pick but after about an hour I was coming around and could see why they took the BAP. I am all for what EVER it takes too turn my Bills around.

Look - The Bills picked a player who can score ANYtime he touches the ball. A true playmaker. That is the type of player that makes sense to me for a top ten pick. Will he sell tickets - Yup but so would a QB. Has far as my football metrics go - you don't draft a tackle in the top ten. In the top ten you pick a game changer.

If Bills fans say that it was not a position of need well a case could be made that it is. Jackson is a very good football player but he does not scare a defense (the defense may respect him but they are not afraid of him) and he is old and getting older.