Round 7, Pick #216: OT Kyle Calloway - Iowa

SDS

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

A few more thoughts as we move through the seventh round:

The Bills just picked Iowa OT Kyle Calloway. He's a right tackle who may be able to kick inside. He's well-coached, tough, but not very athletic. He has to beat you with technique, because he has very average feet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selvish Capers or Tony Washington please?

Tony Washington is a sister effer!! :thumbsup: I can't imagine the questions the media will ask him at camp!! :lol:

How big is he?

:lol: That's one ya shoulda kept to yourself.

I wouldn't draft Bill Murray either.

For my golf team I would, also as a horticulturist.

He's a little crazy though. I heard he was going 9 in a 5 mph zone.

:lol:

The main character issue that riding a moped shows is, that a guy that big is willing to be seen on a moped. THAT is a concern, he has no shame.

Kyle Calloway

T, Iowa

War Room analysis

Strengths: Has the size to be an NFL right tackle. Shows good balance from a wide base. Is most effective in the running game. Is strong and physical, and always works to the whistle. Has a vice grip in the running game, and shows a strong punch in pass protection. Shows good instincts. Gets set quickly in pass protection. Is durable and productive.

Weaknesses: Shows poor hip flexibility and marginal lateral quickness to recover and neutralize double-moves. Appears to have below-average arm length and little explosiveness in his movements. Shows inconsistent hand placement to sustain blocks on the move in the open field. Will get his hands outside of defender at times and get called for holding. Lacks the quickness and arm length to execute "reach" blocks or counter pass rushers' double-moves. Lacks the lower-body flexibility to execute cut blocks.

Bottom line: Calloway began his college career at guard and also has experience at left tackle, but he fits best at right tackle. He is a functional athlete in tight spaces but lacks the quickness and flexibility to play on the left side.

from nfl.com:

Calloway is another in a long line of Iowa linemen that should have a long career in the NFL. He is not the elite athlete that Gallery or Steinbach were but he has enough initial quickness to get out to pick up the edge rusher. He has excellent hand use and will consistently work to finish his blocks off and has a bit of a nasty temperament on the field. Enough of a knee bender to stay under his pads and will bring his feet with him to sustain and redirect blocks with movement. While he has played tackle on both sides as well as some at guard his best position is probably going to be on the right side in the NFL.

"has a bit of a nasty temperament on the field" will fit our OL well, at some point.

I love this pick, I would have loved him in the forth round, I may have to see a doctor if mine last longer than four hours. He will start at Right Tackle for us this year!

He's a little crazy though. I heard he was going 9 in a 5 mph zone.

If that's the case, wouldn't it have been 'Aggravated DUI' (more than twice the speed limit)?

Seriously though - I'll bet this guy's a ton o' fun to be around - just the thought of a 325 lb., 6' 6" OT riding a moped makes me LOL. Doing it with a beer in one hand invokes an image of hilarity! :pirate:

If that's the case, wouldn't it have been 'Aggravated DUI' (more than twice the speed limit)?

Seriously though - I'll bet this guy's a ton o' fun to be around - just the thought of a 325 lb., 6' 6" OT riding a moped makes me LOL. Doing it with a beer in one hand invokes an image of hilarity! :pirate:

It does sound like a good time!

I kind of like the idea of a lineman that size driving a moped while intoxicated.

Seriously, I do not believe this to be a moral issue or makes him a bad guy.

I would have been OK with Tony Washington too.

This happened when he was 16! You gonna hold this forever against him?

Bring him in . Let's play football. Tell him to leave the sister at home.

As a Hawkeye fan first and Bill fan second I can tell you he was the best lineman on the Hawkeye team last year. He will be a great pick up for the Bills Bulaga is good but way overated

That's the kind of quality inside information I've come to appreciate here at TBD. Thanks Iowa.

As a Hawkeye fan first and Bill fan second I can tell you he was the best lineman on the Hawkeye team last year. He will be a great pick up for the Bills Bulaga is good but way overated

Hey! I'm a Buffalo native and an Iowa grad....I thought I was the only one with that combo!

I had the same reservations about all the Bulaga talk...I love the guy, but never saw "#9 pick" on him.

So glad to have Calloway....wish we had Angerer, too! (Next year, Claibourne!!!)

Go Hawks, Go Bills!

Poor draft by the Bills. And the new staff's credibility is declining. I'll give just one example but I could list half a dozen. Gailey and Nix definitely were not interested in "one year wonders," then they drafted WR Easley, who had five catches in three years but one good season in 2009. It's the same old BS.

Poor draft by the Bills. And the new staff's credibility is declining. I'll give just one example but I could list half a dozen. Gailey and Nix definitely were not interested in "one year wonders," then they drafted WR Easley, who had five catches in three years but one good season in 2009. It's the same old BS.

That's your main friggin' criticism? That before the draft they said they weren't interested in one year wonders, and of the nine guys they chose, ONE, the fourth round pick, was a one year wonder, the first year he actually played? But 90% of their choices were 3-4 year mainstay workhorses who rarely took a play off let alone a game or season?

That's your main friggin' criticism? That before the draft they said they weren't interested in one year wonders, and of the nine guys they chose, ONE, the fourth round pick, was a one year wonder, the first year he actually played? But 90% of their choices were 3-4 year mainstay workhorses who rarely took a play off let alone a game or season?

Don't bother. Most posters have never heard of the players drafted. They just love to complain about everything.

You're right. As long as 9 is more than twice 5.

OOPS...four years of Cornell, down the drain, I guess!!! :thumbsup:

Colour me 'embarrassed' - just goes to show ya...don't drink and draft! Obviously the guy's extremely astute, to have stayed one MPH under that benchmark - wonder what his Wonderlic score was?

(Still think this Cab Calloway guy's gonna be a ball...heidi heidi heidi ho...heebee heebee heebee ha...)