Round 7, Pick #216: OT Kyle Calloway - Iowa

SDS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Huddle Report (which has a fantastic draft record, for what it's worth) has a 1st round grade on Calloway:

Kyle Calloway OT Iowa

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

Kyle has excellent size, strength and feet to play his position. He is a right tackle with a left tackle heart. By that, I mean he takes pride in pass blocking and protecting his QB. He is a powerful run blocker and does a very good job blocking in space and moving to the next level. Most of the time he is not covered up when blocking on passing plays with a TE. He does not get overpowered when being bull rushed. Kyle is smart, shows mental stamina and does not get beat by the same move twice if he gets beat at all. I suspect that once Kyle works out at the combine, he will show enough athletic talent to play left tackle at the next level. However, even if he does not, Kyle (right now) shows Pro Bowl right tackle skills.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

He is stronger than most of the players he plays against right now and does get up too high at times. He gets a little lazy when pass blocking once he drives his man past his QB and looks to help his line mates out a little too quickly. All of this is nit picking and can all be corrected.

BOTTOM LINE

I'm calling him Kyle (Right Away) Calloway because you can draft this kid and plug him into your offensive line at the right tackle position right away. He can play Right tackle in his sleep, but I believe he could also play the left tackle position also at a very high level. I will be surprised if by the time the draft comes around he is not considered a top draft choice, but I have been surprised before. You are talking about an offensive lineman who can pass block, run block, has the athletic agility to go out to the second level and combo block, can move out and block on screen plays and can be used in a pulling system. What more are you looking for in an offensive lineman? I suspect that playoffs teams at the end of the first round are going to be salivating over the possibility of drafting this kid. Kyle's ability to play the left tackle position will dictate where he will be drafted. Workouts and a demonstration of his ability to switch to the other side will move him up the draft boards. For me, it won't matter much...he is a first rounder and he will play right away.

The Huddle Report (which has a fantastic draft record, for what it's worth) has a 1st round grade on Calloway:

Kyle Calloway OT Iowa

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

Kyle has excellent size, strength and feet to play his position. He is a right tackle with a left tackle heart. By that, I mean he takes pride in pass blocking and protecting his QB. He is a powerful run blocker and does a very good job blocking in space and moving to the next level. Most of the time he is not covered up when blocking on passing plays with a TE. He does not get overpowered when being bull rushed. Kyle is smart, shows mental stamina and does not get beat by the same move twice if he gets beat at all. I suspect that once Kyle works out at the combine, he will show enough athletic talent to play left tackle at the next level. However, even if he does not, Kyle (right now) shows Pro Bowl right tackle skills.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

He is stronger than most of the players he plays against right now and does get up too high at times. He gets a little lazy when pass blocking once he drives his man past his QB and looks to help his line mates out a little too quickly. All of this is nit picking and can all be corrected.

BOTTOM LINE

I'm calling him Kyle (Right Away) Calloway because you can draft this kid and plug him into your offensive line at the right tackle position right away. He can play Right tackle in his sleep, but I believe he could also play the left tackle position also at a very high level. I will be surprised if by the time the draft comes around he is not considered a top draft choice, but I have been surprised before. You are talking about an offensive lineman who can pass block, run block, has the athletic agility to go out to the second level and combo block, can move out and block on screen plays and can be used in a pulling system. What more are you looking for in an offensive lineman? I suspect that playoffs teams at the end of the first round are going to be salivating over the possibility of drafting this kid. Kyle's ability to play the left tackle position will dictate where he will be drafted. Workouts and a demonstration of his ability to switch to the other side will move him up the draft boards. For me, it won't matter much...he is a first rounder and he will play right away.

Wow. If he even comes close to that write-up it would be one hell of a 7th round pick.

Dude has pretty good size, arms on the short side but proably still long enough to play tackle. Same as teammate Bulaga, I think. NFL.com certainly likes the pick, based on their grading system. It'll be interesting to see whether the Bills see him as more of a tackle or a guard. I'm sure it'll come up in the introductory press conference. For a 7th-rounder, this guy probably has an excellent chance of making the team as a rookie, especially if they like him as a guard. Do we have any backups at OG right now? I thought McKinney was gone, and I can't think of any others (who don't also double as OTs) off the top of my head.

Dude has pretty good size, arms on the short side but proably still long enough to play tackle. Same as teammate Bulaga, I think. NFL.com certainly likes the pick, based on their grading system. It'll be interesting to see whether the Bills see him as more of a tackle or a guard. I'm sure it'll come up in the introductory press conference. For a 7th-rounder, this guy probably has an excellent chance of making the team as a rookie, especially if they like him as a guard. Do we have any backups at OG right now? I thought McKinney was gone, and I can't think of any others (who don't also double as OTs) off the top of my head.

I like the Calloway pick, McKinney was a free agent after last season and was not retained. They do lack a backup for the center position.

I like the Calloway pick, McKinney was a free agent after last season and was not retained. They do lack a backup for the center position.

Gotta think Wood would slide over to C if they have any confidence in the primary backup at OG. We'll probably see a C or two brought in as UDFAs, though. Possibly a late UFA signing of a McKinney/Whittle type.

But most accounts a decent player. Probably dropped this far because of "character issues" ... was suspended for the opening game in 2009 due to a DUI arrest that happened over the prior offseason (he was operating a moped while drinking ...).

I hope you are not serious as I honestly cannot believe that operating a moped while under the influence is a "character issue" and would have kept anyone from drafting him earlier if they thought he a very good player. This compares to Bill Murray getting arrested in Sweden when driving a golf cart under the influence.

I hope you are not serious as I honestly cannot believe that operating a moped while under the influence is a "character issue" and would have kept anyone from drafting him earlier if they thought he a very good player. This compares to Bill Murray getting arrested in Sweden when driving a golf cart under the influence.

I wouldn't draft Bill Murray either.

He's a little crazy though. I heard he was going 9 in a 5 mph zone.