The Bills Need a QB

Thoner7

.. by simply calling Jon Gruden and asking who to take.

I just re-watched the Gruden QB special where he sits down with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow - watching film and talkin football with all of them. He even took Tebow out and worked him out.

A SB winning HC who is a toal QB guru/junkie is given one on one access to ALL of the top guys, watches all their tape, finds out what they are all about, and even gets a private workout. He got the interview of a lifetime with every one of them. What else do you need? If the Bills are not taking advantage of that they are a bunch of idiots.

Buddy, call up Gruden and just ask who he would take!

I just re-watched the Gruden QB special where he sits down with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow - watching film and talkin football with all of them. He even took Tebow out and worked him out.

A SB winning HC who is a toal QB guru/junkie is given one on one access to ALL of the top guys, watches all their tape, finds out what they are all about, and even gets a private workout. He got the interview of a lifetime with every one of them. What else do you need? If the Bills are not taking advantage of that they are a bunch of idiots.

going out on a limb -- i imagine player visits are even bigger interviews -- complete with a ton of film time, and huge workouts. i bet chan got 1-1 access with all the qbs he wanted.

What if all the guys on TV disagreed? What if Bill Cowher said "Tony Pike!", Gruden said "Clausen", Jimmy Johnson said "Bradford", Mariucci said "LeFevour" etc. Would you know what to think? Lots of scouts out there, and most know more about the QB's than Gruden, or ANY of the TV commentators.

All these guys have to answer the questions they are asked, so they have to have an opinion (or maybe they could say "you know what? I don't watch much college football, and I just kinda wait to see who the popular picks are, then watch some highlights on Youtube").

The Gruden show was more about entertainment than anything else. I know alot of people get off on his "tough guy" image, but I don't think he is an elite coach (yes, I know his stats, life story, favorite color etc). He will stay in the TV booth, he has nowhere to go but down if he ever came back.

going out on a limb -- i imagine player visits are even bigger interviews -- complete with a ton of film time, and huge workouts. i bet chan got 1-1 access with all the qbs he wanted.

I will take a SB winning coachs opinion over Tom Modrak and his army of scouts who have had great success here in the past, a first time GM and assistant GM who has had unknown success because no one knows what picks they have made.

I will take Grudens opinion the same way I would take Chris Carters opinion on Charles Rogers. For the record Carter worked out with Rogers pre-draft and knewn he wouldnt make it in the NFL, yet no one listened.

My memory must be fading in my old age. Which great QBs did Gruden draft/develop?

I'd just as soon take a TSW poll over the advice of the talking idiots on TV. They are not being paid to give sound football advice. They are being paid to make 'good television'.

there is no guarentee that any of those guys will be good in the pros, or that we will be in a position to pick one

A top 3 pick is a virtual lock if we play this season with the QBs currently on the roster.

& please people...STOP calling Jon Gruden a QB guru.

Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson.

1. He was not such a good QB guru in Tampa.

2. What if he says the only good QB in the draft is Bradford?

If he said that he'd be right. I'm not sure Bradford is all that either. A legitimate first rounder though and the only one in this draft. Clausen/McCoy/Tebow are all about the same. Get any one of the three in the second round assuming you think you have to get a qb this year. I don't see any of the three being a big improvement over Edwards and think we'd be better off getting high quality OT's and defensive linemen in this draft.

If he said that he'd be right. I'm not sure Bradford is all that either. A legitimate first rounder though and the only one in this draft. Clausen/McCoy/Tebow are all about the same. Get any one of the three in the second round assuming you think you have to get a qb this year. I don't see any of the three being a big improvement over Edwards and think we'd be better off getting high quality OT's and defensive linemen in this draft.

Edwards sucks....sorry. Cannot agree with you on that one.

So exactly which QBs did Gruden develop such that he merits the term "QB guru" ?

i know everyone wants to be a draftnik but right now the bills are a worse team than last year, which means they are pretty awful. THe problems arent going to be solved thru the draft alone.

Im not so worried who they take at 9--- i just know everyone on here will be whining about who they take no matter what.

My concern is are they a better football team come sat night? I dont see how they will.....

...or we could wait and take a real QB next year.

Amen Brother... Preach on...

Fix the OL and the D front 7 in this deep draft at those positions...

Trade back if possible, stock pile picks.

Use whatever ammunition necessary in 2011 to move up for a franchise arm in 2011 including using our 1st rd pick in 2012 if necessary

While I'm not at all against taking a QB this year, I think you've got a point here...The Bills are in no position to rush into a "QB of the future" decision unless they are SO blown away by a Kid it's a no-briner to them...They may very well have that opinion on Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, or one of the other QB's in this Draft...But if not, I'd much rather see them wait until Saturday and see who has slipped through the cracks...

This Team will not be rebuilt in this Draft alone...It's not going to happen...So I'd rather see Buddy and Chan concentrate on upgrading the Roster period...There will be plenty of Draftable QB's in 2011...Chances are The Bills will be picking in the top half of next years Draft too...Lets not push our luck... <_<

Most teams take the philosophy of selecting the best player, not necessarily in a position of great need.

True, but with this roster, I don't think that's much of an issue for the Bills. They need major help at virtually every position on both sides of the ball. BPA will likely fill a 'great need' for this team.

I'm going to agree with not picking a QB this year either, I really like Spiller more and more at #9, and using other picks to shore up line needs on both sides of the ball. Lets face it, If Trent or any other QB has some time to throw the ball, they will in fact throw it. And in case anyone hasn't noticed, Freddy Jackson is not the youngest of guys, and I am completely done with "least Mode", completely done. I truly hope we dump him for some picks, and then Spiller makes sense.

To me picking a QB at #9 this year simply doesn't make sense, especially since we already have QBs on the team that are capable of managing the game if the running attack is working, and thats all you can expect from a draft pick anyway. I'd rather get stronger on the line, and possibly get a nice franchise RB to boot.

I don't really agree with ESPN propping Gruden up as a QB guru either, but in the clips I watched I didn't really see him doing any hardcore technical analysis. Most of it covered topics like motivation, desire to play at the NFL level, good decision making, toughness...all stuff that's right up Gruden's alley.

I think this is going to be the case. They should spend this draft fixing the O-line and D-line. They also need LB's and WR's.

Starting QB for week 1 is most likely already on the roster...... I have a feeling it will be TE, unless Brhom or Fitz have a better pre-season. (sigh).