Foods you detest

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream...all that white stuff makes me wanna puke.

I'm with you. I'll eat pretty much anything unless it's white and gloppy. Hate bleu cheese dip/sauce (love bleu cheese.)

Can't stand mayo. However, there's a sandwich place around here. Marco's Italian Deli. They make a chili mayo. It's red so I decided to try it. I would eat it with a spoon if they called it soup.

Edited by Thisistheyear

I'm with you. I'll eat pretty much anything unless it's white and gloppy. Hate bleu cheese dip/sauce (love bleu cheese.)

Can't stand mayo. However, there's a sandwich place around here. Marco's Italian Deli. They make a chili mayo. It's red so I decided to try it. I would eat it with a spoon if they called it soup.

Wow. Same page. That combination of color and texture just gives me the gags. Mayo, miracle whip, bleu cheese dressing, ranch dressing, pudding, sour cream, whipped cream, yogurt. Blech.

Black olives (some green olives are good - the good ones are expensive)

Zucchini (except in bread)

Lamb (any kind)

Cold apples (as in refrigerated)

Miracle whip = disgusting.

That's a pretty short list...surprisingly. It seems like there are lots of things I don't care for but "detest" is a strong word.

Edited by blzrul

Oh and meat pies. Pastry should have fruit in it, not chicken.

Wow... You would put the Yoopers out of business!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

It is the original "Hot Pocket:" ;-)

"In contrast to its earlier place amongst the wealthy, during the 17th and 18th centuries the pasty became popular with working people in Cornwall, where tin miners and others adopted it due to its unique shape, forming a complete meal that could be carried easily and eaten without cutlery. In a mine the pasty's dense, folded pastry could stay warm for several hours, and if it did get cold it could easily be warmed on a shovel over a candle."

I like all foods. If I had to pick one thing I didn't love, it would be uni

What is uni???

Egg salad

It's not that I don't like it, but I have bad memories from elementary school of this kid who sat across from me in the cafeteria. He had those big, chunky braces with multi-colored rubber bands. Every day (it seemed) his mother packed him an egg salad sandwich in his scooby doo lunch box. The egg salad would get stuck in his braces, and he talked with his mouth open a lot. Egg salad flew all over the place. Blechhh!!! Plus, boiling eggs in the house makes it smell like farts.

I'll eat just about anything else.

Rutabagas

Turnips

Onions

Raw tomatoes

Fish

Shellfish

Garlic

Liver

Sweetbreads

Cabbage

Brussells sprouts

Flan

Oriental foods

Mexican foods

Shame on you for not liking the bolded. The rest I can understand but onions? Personally I don't care for to many raw onions but sauted onions are the building block of almost everything I cook!! That and garlic which is also on your list.. That said although I like peanuts, I can't stand them in things like chocolate bars and ice cream. Cake and so on. Also Ive tried liver many different ways and I hate them all.

Shame on you for not liking the bolded. The rest I can understand but onions? Personally I don't care for to many raw onions but sauted onions are the building block of almost everything I cook!! That and garlic which is also on your list.. That said although I like peanuts, I can't stand them in things like chocolate bars and ice cream. Cake and so on. Also Ive tried liver many different ways and I hate them all.

Sadly when this thread popped back up, saw Stucks name and was excited the old coot had resurfaced. Sadly, then saw the time stamp of April 2010. BTW Jim, was there a reason you remembered a nearly three year old thread?

Avocado.

This is unfortunate because you can't even order a BLT in California without someone putting avocado on it, but it doesn't matter how little they put on, I can taste that nasty crap almost instantly.

Love avocados. With avocados I think it is the dominate texture/mouthfeel that a lot of people are not used to that you either love or hate. Plus, people don't know how to work with them or when to eat them (ripeness), they also oxidise very quickly and are not very visually appealing once they do. Have to work with them very quickly.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Sadly when this thread popped back up, saw Stucks name and was excited the old coot had resurfaced. Sadly, then saw the time stamp of April 2010. BTW Jim, was there a reason you remembered a nearly three year old thread?

Offered chicken pot pie :sick:

Yeah I noticed SiC was here. Wonder what happened to him.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

What is uni???

sea urchin gonads. Most chefs love it. It is very creamy, and has a nice texture. But it is strong flavored and is ocean flavored. I have tried a dozen times, but still don't care much for it

Love avocados. With avocados I think it is the dominate texture/mouthfeel that a lot of people are not used to that you either love or hate. Plus, people don't know how to work with them or when to eat them (ripeness), they also oxidise very quickly and are not very visually appealing once they do. Have to work with them very quickly.

Not liking avocados in California is akin to not liking livermush in North Carolina. People look at your like you're from another planet. But out here you start on avocados early because it's great baby food; soft and full of vitamins and nutrients. I never really met an avocado until after college. Where I grew up in NY, the only Mexican food you ever saw was the occasional taco on the school lunch menu. Once I moved to California, it took me a while to learn and appreciate Mexican food (and sushi, which I've somehow learned to not just love, but crave), but I still only eat Mexican if wifey or friends insist. Otherwise, I have no use for any of it. Especially the nasty piss yellow/puke green avocado.

Not liking avocados in California is akin to not liking livermush in North Carolina. People look at your like you're from another planet. But out here you start on avocados early because it's great baby food; soft and full of vitamins and nutrients. I never really met an avocado until after college. Where I grew up in NY, the only Mexican food you ever saw was the occasional taco on the school lunch menu. Once I moved to California, it took me a while to learn and appreciate Mexican food (and sushi, which I've somehow learned to not just love, but crave), but I still only eat Mexican if wifey or friends insist. Otherwise, I have no use for any of it. Especially the nasty piss yellow/puke green avocado.

Livermush...yeah I don't like that stuff either.

Your correct. Avocados would offer excellent nutrition to a young infant.

BTW while I am typing this, I am currently eating scrambling eggs, toast and sliced avocado on the side. :D

Lima Beans.......ACK!!

Lima beans, another love/hate food. I love the buttery texture of lima beans. Buttered tagilatelli, lima beans, a little salted pasta water, pecorino all tossed in a pan. Plate, more pecorino and black pepper on top.

I think most people hate lima beans because they are first introduced to them from a can which sits in the brine, canning kills the color which make them less aesthetically pleasing.. Most people have never had frozen or fresh. There is a big difference for sure.

Hmm, mine are...

Anything containing cumin

curry powder

Mayonnaise

Olives

Avocados

Soft, smelly cheeses

Sour cream

The cumin thing is probably what pisses off people the most when I go out to eat with others. I can't stand smelling or eating Indian food at all. Mexican is in a similar boat because it seems like every Mexican place around here uses cumin like salt.

Another common thing out in the PNW is 'authentic' Chinese food, which consists of chicken feet and pig ears. Why anyone eats that crap I have no idea.

Hmm, mine are...

Anything containing cumin

curry powder

Mayonnaise

Olives

Avocados

Soft, smelly cheeses

Sour cream

The cumin thing is probably what pisses off people the most when I go out to eat with others. I can't stand smelling or eating Indian food at all. Mexican is in a similar boat because it seems like every Mexican place around here uses cumin like salt.

Another common thing out in the PNW is 'authentic' Chinese food, which consists of chicken feet and pig ears. Why anyone eats that crap I have no idea.

Funny, those ingredients combined sound like the makings for a tasty dip....yum!

Pig ears? You betcha! The pig from snout to tail is god's gift to food.

just had pigs ear the other night at a place called the Blue Goat here in Richmond...one true of the moment restaurant

Localvore (check)

snout to tail(check)

Small Plates ( check)

craft beers ( check)

craft spirits (check)

If there is a trend out there, they got it covered!!!

as pretentious as it sounds, is actually pretty good.

Edited by plenzmd1