Commodore 64 to make a comeback

/dev/null

Commodore, however, preferred to develop the Commodore 64 as a simpler, lower cost, black-and-white-only machine.

:thumbsup:

Did the author ever actually use a C-64...? The graphics were great for the time - and definitely in color. It also had the best audio on the market (in computer form). It just plain rocked. Commodore's downfall was that the Amiga 500 didn't do so well...

http//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D442

I fondly remember playing Blades of Steel for hours with my brother. To this day, I occasionally mimic the computer generated voice when a penalty is called in a hockey game.

Wasn't Blades Of Steel for the Nintendo? I didn't realize they had it for the C64...I remember playing a game called Superstar Ice Hockey for the C-64...and of course Dr J vs Larry Bird B-)

Lode Runner! Greatest Commodore 64 games ever!!

Loved Barbarians as well (basic fighting game with swords that you could cut off someones head!) Had a great baseball game but can't remember the name.......good times....

I up'd to the Commodore 128!!! Still have them in my basement (along with some IIe and IIc apple computers)

I used a 300 baud modem! couldn't believe the speed of the 1200 baud!!!

Also had to take my phone and set in on the modem. How awesome was that!

I have programs saved to cassette drive as well. Yes thats right....cassette drive!! Wow when the 3 1/2" disks came out I was amazed!!!

Lode Runner! Greatest Commodore 64 games ever!!

Loved Barbarians as well (basic fighting game with swords that you could cut off someones head!) Had a great baseball game but can't remember the name.......good times....

I up'd to the Commodore 128!!! Still have them in my basement (along with some IIe and IIc apple computers)

I used a 300 baud modem! couldn't believe the speed of the 1200 baud!!!

Also had to take my phone and set in on the modem. How awesome was that!

I have programs saved to cassette drive as well. Yes thats right....cassette drive!! Wow when the 3 1/2" disks came out I was amazed!!!

I had an "elegant" Migent 300bps portable modem early on.

Good gosh, I bet I've owned ten modems, ext and int through the years. Most recently, a little UBS device from a company called Rosewill that I bought cheap through Newegg. It's for my wife's Asus eee netbook (her Mom and my SIL don't have computers so no cable internet) so she can connect when she travels to each.

It's not bad...

I bought a TI99A as my first computer - same thing - cassette storage!

B-)

Did the author ever actually use a C-64...? The graphics were great for the time - and definitely in color. It also had the best audio on the market (in computer form). It just plain rocked. Commodore's downfall was that the Amiga 500 didn't do so well...

http//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D442

POKE53280,0

POKE53281,0

Did your screen/background just change to black? :devil:

Sold my cassette drive when I bought the 1541, but count me as another one who still owns a C64. Used to kill John Elway's Quarterback on that thing ... playing as the Bills, of course.

Had a great baseball game but can't remember the name.......

Probably Hardball. I found a bittorrent with all the Commodore emulators and every game ever made. It was a lot of fun taking the trip(s) down memory lane. Still highly playable is Elite and MULE. I like Sword of Fargoal too, but damn that is a hard game to solve.

When I first got my Commodore, I had to type in all of my games manually (from Compute Gazette magazine) line by line, either in BASIC or machine language. When I was done and turned the computer off, POOF - games were gone. After dinner, had to type them in again, line by line. Eventually I upgraded to a datasette, and the wonderful world of load errors... Interestingly my career ended up in computer data storage.

My first roommate in college had a Commodore he brought to school (which was quite a novelty back in that day - his was the only personal computer I ever saw there). A buddy of mine who lived next door was addicted to a game called Munch Man which essentially was Pac Man - he would often come over and play the thing for hours esp when he was wasted :thumbdown:

Elite and MULE both ROCK! I don't know why they haven't remade them. Well, there was a remake of Elite years ago but it sucked... :(

Archon and Archon II were both awesome games, as was Mail Order Monsters. And of course, Alternate Reality :ph34r:

Probably Hardball. I found a bittorrent with all the Commodore emulators and every game ever made. It was a lot of fun taking the trip(s) down memory lane. Still highly playable is Elite and MULE. I like Sword of Fargoal too, but damn that is a hard game to solve.

When I first got my Commodore, I had to type in all of my games manually (from Compute Gazette magazine) line by line, either in BASIC or machine language. When I was done and turned the computer off, POOF - games were gone. After dinner, had to type them in again, line by line. Eventually I upgraded to a datasette, and the wonderful world of load errors... Interestingly my career ended up in computer data storage.

Elite and MULE both ROCK! I don't know why they haven't remade them. Well, there was a remake of Elite years ago but it sucked... :(

Archon and Archon II were both awesome games, as was Mail Order Monsters. And of course, Alternate Reality :ph34r:

May I add Defender of the Crown and Bruce Lee to that list of awesome games? And of course, summer games...a game which required actual physical activity. A precursor to the Wii maybe?

I remember getting snowed in at a friends house one weekend and we must have played hundreds of rounds of Summer and Winter Games on the 64. Loading those games upon the floppy disks and going through what seemed like dozens of bags of Swanson Chips (mostly a Jimmytown thing) and countless "longneck return for deposit bottles" of Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

Wasted youth? After 25 years... no freakin way! Memories made.

I loved Archon. Does that game even exist today?

Hardball!!! That was it. Nice....

I remember getting snowed in at a friends house one weekend and we must have played hundreds of rounds of Summer and Winter Games on the 64. Loading those games upon the floppy disks and going through what seemed like dozens of bags of Swanson Chips (mostly a Jimmytown thing) and countless "longneck return for deposit bottles" of Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

Wasted youth? After 25 years... no freakin way! Memories made.

LMAO, Swanson chips, I remember those, hated em but everyone I knew loved those things.

I had a commodore as my first computer learning to run it when i was 5. Super Huey, Summer Games, Bruce Lee, Richard Petty Racing. Ah, such great games, I miss them all. Oh well, guess I'll go play some Battlefield Bad Company 2 while I reminisce

May I add Defender of the Crown and Bruce Lee to that list of awesome games? And of course, summer games...a game which required actual physical activity. A precursor to the Wii maybe?

I think i broke 2 or 3 commodore 64 joysticks playing summer games and wiggling the damn thing back and forth to get your guy to run. :lol: Bruce Lee was a fantastic game as well as Lode Runner.

I think i broke 2 or 3 commodore 64 joysticks playing summer games and wiggling the damn thing back and forth to get your guy to run. :) Bruce Lee was a fantastic game as well as Lode Runner.

Wow... You must have come out of the womb a computer geek... :thumbsup:B-)

I jest, I jest... Weren't you born in the 1980's?

Only funning you Ramius!

:D

Elite and MULE both ROCK! I don't know why they haven't remade them. Well, there was a remake of Elite years ago but it sucked... B-)

Archon and Archon II were both awesome games, as was Mail Order Monsters. And of course, Alternate Reality :thumbsup:

I must offer up Bard's Tale I.

I remember we could never get Super Huey to run on ours....

I can't remember the name of one game in particular. In it, you're a space ship, where you controlled the altitude and would hover above ships that passed by and had to shoot things on their deck. Anyone remember?

My first compter was the Timex Sinclair 1000.

2K SRAM and 8K ROM, what a beast!

I had one of those!

And the Timex Sinclair 2068.

http://www.concentric.net/~alxevans/TS2068.html

We also had the Intellivision computer add-on which was kinda cool - although we had no way to save anything we changed...

Then we got the C64 and never looked back. :rolleyes:

Jumpman, Archon and the Summer and Winter Games were all awesome.

I feel the need to also throw Raid Over Moscow and Beachhead 1 and 2 out there as must-haves back then.

Also, Impossible Mission.

"Stay a while.... stay forever! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha"

(Though I am not sure I ever actually figured out how to win that game)

I feel the need to also throw Raid Over Moscow and Beachhead 1 and 2 out there as must-haves back then.

Beachhead 1 was awesome. Didn't know they made a sequel...

And Impossible Mission was also great - I never won it either, it was tough! :thumbsup:

Raid on Bungeling Bay was also awesome -- when your chopper took too much damage, you could try to crash into buildings to destroy them. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnDBUrhoWM

Impossible Mission. Yesssssss.

(And it took hours -- days -- weeks before I finally finished it.)

Impossible Mission. Yesssssss.

(And it took hours -- days -- weeks before I finally finished it.)

What happened at the end...??? Did you get a showdown against the faceless voice?

EDIT: I checked it out on YouTube. How anti-climactic. :rolleyes:

Wow... You must have come out of the womb a computer geek... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I jest, I jest... Weren't you born in the 1980's?

Only funning you Ramius!

My Dad had the C64 (he was an airline mechanic, not a computer geek) :). I remember playing it as a kid, so i must have been 6-7 years old when i really got into it. (born in '81) The first game i remember playing and loving was Donald Ducks, where you had to "work" sorting baggage, or sorting fruits, or stocking toys to earn cash to build the playground. I think the most kick ass game we had was Raid over Moscow.

My dad had 100s of games on the 64. 3 full racks of the 5.25 floppies. That system held me over until the mid-90s when i finally saved up enough allowance to buy a sega genesis.

Beachhead 1 was awesome. Didn't know they made a sequel...

And Impossible Mission was also great - I never won it either, it was tough! :bag:

Raid on Bungeling Bay was also awesome -- when your chopper took too much damage, you could try to crash into buildings to destroy them. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnDBUrhoWM

Yeah, Beachhead 1 ans 2 were good games.. another was a Submarine Sim called Silent Service.. my Dad and his best friend in the Air Force would play for hours..