What about a trade with Houston at 20

The more I look at who may be available when the Bills pick and reviewing where the possibilities of trade down scenario's I feel that we have the best option of a trade down with the Houston Texans. Here is my reasoning,

The Texans have two primary area's of need, a CB and a RB. Joe Hayden the top rated corner will be off the board by the time they pick 20th and C.J. Spiller will also be gone before their pick. I would offer a trade of 1st's where we move to 20th and pick up the Texans 2nd (pick 51) and 4th (pick 116 or later based on 3rd round compensatory picks awarded). This a fair deal and would allow the Bills the chance to have 3 picks between mid-first to mid second where they should be able to get an OT, NT and WR, plus would have (1) 3rd round, (2) 4th round, (1) 5th round, (2) 6th round and (1) 7th

If this trade is made, what selections would you make and do you agree this would be a great trade for Buffalo

The more I look at who may be available when the Bills pick and reviewing where the possibilities of trade down scenario's I feel that we have the best option of a trade down with the Houston Texans. Here is my reasoning,

The Texans have two primary area's of need, a CB and a RB. Joe Hayden the top rated corner will be off the board by the time they pick 20th and C.J. Spiller will also be gone before their pick. I would offer a trade of 1st's where we move to 20th and pick up the Texans 2nd (pick 51) and 4th (pick 116 or later based on 3rd round compensatory picks awarded). This a fair deal and would allow the Bills the chance to have 3 picks between mid-first to mid second where they should be able to get an OT, NT and WR, plus would have (1) 3rd round, (2) 4th round, (1) 5th round, (2) 6th round and (1) 7th

If this trade is made, what selections would you make and do you agree this would be a great trade for Buffalo

Ehh. I dunno. Who would we take at 20? I don't think the Bills are in a position to trade back as far as 20, only to get a late 2nd round pick. The late 4th round pick is not a big deal either. Bills have a top 10 pick. I think a 2nd and 3rd rounder at the least .

I've been saying this.....the Texans and Niners both want Spiller.

With the Texans on the verge, and the 49ers in a weak division, Spiller is that one piece that could put them over the top.

I think both teams will try to trade up.

Ehh. I dunno. Who would we take at 20? I don't think the Bills are in a position to trade back as far as 20, only to get a late 2nd round pick. The late 4th round pick is not a big deal either. Bills have a top 10 pick. I think a 2nd and 3rd rounder at the least .

1)To me, this is the key point. Trade back to twenty and Trent Williams will be gone, Dan Williams too. You only make this trade if you really feel there are no guys who you really want who will be gone between those two spots. And I have to figure that there are plenty of guys we'd want between there.

2) According to the draft value chart, the Bills are getting ripped off in that trade. The difference between #9 and #20 is 550 points. And Houston's 2nd and 4th only amount to 380 + 62 = 442. If I were Buffalo I would want Their 2nd and their 3rd, which would still come out in Houston's favor, but only by a bit. And if I were Houston, I wouldn't give up my 2nd and 3rd rounder except under the most extreme circumstances.

This would be assuming the top picks went as follows:

Rams - Bradford - QB

Lions - Okung - OT

Bucs - McCoy - DT

Redskins - Williams - OT

Chiefs - Berry - S

Seahawks - Suh - DT

Browns - Cluassen - QB

Raiders - Baluga - OT

If the draft goes this way there is no player I would want. McClain would be excellent but a luxury with our current depth, Dan Williams should not go that high, don't like any other tackle that high and we have no specific needs at RB, S or CB

The worst case scenario is if Cleveland takes Spiller at 7 and leaves us the option of Jimmy Claussen who I think will be horrible, small hands, questionable leadership at a position where leadership is key.

At 20 the Bills could select Terrance Cody, then look at best available tackle in round 2 and a edge rush LB or WR with the pick from Houston

I sort of like it...I guess it depends on who is available for us at #9...if top OTs and QBs are gone then why not...

Dan Williams at 20? I doubt he will slip that far but it would be a steal. Trent Williams could fall according to some...and of course there is always the gamble with A.Davis being there at 20 given his recent decline.

i think its a bigger possibility that we trade with the giants and we dont move as far down. They have the 15th pick and they need a MLB(Mcclain) and we can still get dan williams at that spot while picking up extra picks.

I'd swap with the Texans but no thanks on Dan Williams. Go big or go home....Mount Cody would work. We can make some real noise with the rest of the picks.

Who would we get at 20?

How about a run stuffing Nose Tackle?

We REALLY need as many 2nd round picks as we can get

Um How about Cody at 20? Pick up McCoy with #9 in the 2nd and a good LT with our 2nd, 2nd round pick.

I agree with Cody at 20, and then how about a WR such as the kid from Georgia Tech with the 9th pick in the 2nd round and then maybe a Ciron Black the OT from LSU who projects out to RT, although I love Jerald Veldheer, the LT prospect from Hillsdale and maybe the kid from Abiline Christian in the 3rd, high upside but probably need to sit in year one

Um How about Cody at 20? Pick up McCoy with #9 in the 2nd and a good LT with our 2nd, 2nd round pick.

It all depends on who's available at 9... It willbe a hot pick I'm sure by other teams

I would do that trade in a heartbeat. I know that's an 11 spot drop, but the depth of talent in this draft is very good. Having two more picks in the first 4 rounds would be a huge lift.

And, while people say this may be a reach, if Dan Williams and the top 4 picks are gone by 20, then I will take Terrance Cody at 20. Plus, if the Bills really want Tebow, which I hope they don't, I won't care as much about them using a pick on him.

End result, if you told me that we got our starting DT, Tebow, and 3 other picks in the first 4 rounds, I'd be happy. Especially if they were all on O-Linemen

It all depends on who's available at 9... It willbe a hot pick I'm sure by other teams

If Berry falls to us and we take him, then trade back up to get Cody in the late 1st, I will do cartwheels. Our D would be very, VERY good with those guys at DT and SS. The remaining picks could all go to the O-Line, a WR maybe, then ILB depth. I wouldn't even care if we didn't get a QB. Our D would be able to do all the work

There is no chance that Berry falls to us at 9, he is a safety and why would we need him at an area where we do have quality players, plus we have to give draft choices to get back into the 1st round and we have way to many holes to do that.

Buffalo must fill positions at OL, NT, WR and pass rush OLB as a minimum in this draft. How does drafting a safety and trading picks to move up, actually help us?

If Berry falls to us and we take him, then trade back up to get Cody in the late 1st, I will do cartwheels. Our D would be very, VERY good with those guys at DT and SS. The remaining picks could all go to the O-Line, a WR maybe, then ILB depth. I wouldn't even care if we didn't get a QB. Our D would be able to do all the work

1)To me, this is the key point. Trade back to twenty and Trent Williams will be gone, Dan Williams too. You only make this trade if you really feel there are no guys who you really want who will be gone between those two spots. And I have to figure that there are plenty of guys we'd want between there.

2) According to the draft value chart, the Bills are getting ripped off in that trade. The difference between #9 and #20 is 550 points. And Houston's 2nd and 4th only amount to 380 + 62 = 442. If I were Buffalo I would want Their 2nd and their 3rd, which would still come out in Houston's favor, but only by a bit. And if I were Houston, I wouldn't give up my 2nd and 3rd rounder except under the most extreme circumstances.

The picks don't have to be given in the same draft year. They could give up the 2nd in April and a 3rd in 2011.

With the Texans on the verge, and the 49ers in a weak division, Spiller is that one piece that could put them over the top.

If Spiller is as good as Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson...then why on earth would the Bills give him away?

The Bills have two really good running backs atm in Lynch and Jackson but neither is a "franchise" back. Freddy is older and Lynch has to many personal problems.

I'd say grab the best player available, if that is CJ Spiller,then draft him!

The picks don't have to be given in the same draft year. They could give up the 2nd in April and a 3rd in 2011.

So you want to make it even less appealing for us? When we're already getting the short end of the stick?

I'm not sure if you know this, but the way you handle a next year's pick on the draft pick value chart is to drop it a round. So, for instance, this year's second equals next year's first, this year's third is worth next year's second. And there's a good reason for that. Why would a GM want a pick in next year's draft when he doesn't even know if he'll be there next year. GMs, wisely, want picks that have impact right now, because if they don't get that, the GM looks bad as the team doesn't improve quickly.

So if we were to get two of next year's picks, that would be worth even fewer points to us.

Not a good trade.

This would be assuming the top picks went as follows:

Rams - Bradford - QB

Lions - Okung - OT

Bucs - McCoy - DT

Redskins - Williams - OT

Chiefs - Berry - S

Seahawks - Suh - DT

Browns - Cluassen - QB

Raiders - Baluga - OT

If the draft goes this way there is no player I would want. McClain would be excellent but a luxury with our current depth, Dan Williams should not go that high, don't like any other tackle that high and we have no specific needs at RB, S or CB

The worst case scenario is if Cleveland takes Spiller at 7 and leaves us the option of Jimmy Claussen who I think will be horrible, small hands, questionable leadership at a position where leadership is key.

At 20 the Bills could select Terrance Cody, then look at best available tackle in round 2 and a edge rush LB or WR with the pick from Houston

Whether or not you like Dan Williams that high, he's the best NT prospect in this year's draft, and is likely to be gone by pick #20. And Bruce Campbell at LT is also a top prospect who will be gone by #20.

Again, this only makes sense if the Bills have a guy in mind as their pick who won't be gone by #20 and who they think is better than anyone they can get at #9. IMHO, McClain, Campbell, and Dan Williams are all better than anyone we could get at #20, they are all at positions of need, and they are all available at #9 in your scenario. IMHO, if you're right about how the first 8 picks fall, they would scoop up one of these guys.

i think its a bigger possibility that we trade with the giants and we dont move as far down. They have the 15th pick and they need a MLB(Mcclain) and we can still get dan williams at that spot while picking up extra picks.

I doubt Williams will be there at 20, he probably will not get by Miami.

Boy, FAT Cody in the first round is a BIG BIG gamble. The guy hasn't bothered to get into decent

shape when $MILLIONS are on the line - enough to set himself and his family for life. How on earth will

he be able to be motivated once he HAS that money?

In my opinion, he would be THE biggest risk in round 1 and maybe even in round 2.

Yeah, I know he's lost a few pounds since the Senior Bowl and I know that there have been some

HUGE FAT DTs that have been pretty good, but I'd be very leery of spending a high pick on that guy.

I'd be all for that trade...we could then pick up three really good players a couple Tackles and a NT...there is depth at the positions we really need...so the more picks the better...that being said it depends on if the top eigth all grab big men, if there is a run we can't really trade too far back and get squat...but if there isn't some ridiculous run on Tackles I would go for it...we need a multitude of big guys...

totally disagree...no playmakers the farther dwn yu go and the bills need playmakers

the texans have slaton so they wouldnt trade up for another rb imo and no corner is worth a trade up either

if they trade up it will be for a ot, nt, or berry

This is a no brainer and one I pointed out quite awhile ago. You make the trade.

People need to fully understand something here. The BUFFALO BILLS have absolutely ZERO, ZIP, NOTTA, NO CHANCE of being competitive next season. Whats the logical step in lieu of this fact.

You do exactly what the OP pointed out. You draft for DEPTH!!! This is not a deep draft for positions the bills currently need as an impact player, they could however, get a boatload of depth players.

You trade down for the 20th, 3rd and 4th rounders.

You then trade Whitner and Lynch for as much as you can get.

You draft purely on depth, and with the 3-4 switch, you can bet Linebacker is going to be a needed depth position.

Excellent post by the way, I've Promoting this exact move with the Texans by the way. I would go for the 1st, 2nd and 5th, but it doesn't really matter.

I'd do it in a heartbeat...

And I'd Draft Mt. Cody at #20... :rolleyes:

I think the Texans would go for Ryan Mathews/Jonathan Dwyer moreso than Spiller.

This is a no brainer and one I pointed out quite awhile ago. You make the trade.

People need to fully understand something here. The BUFFALO BILLS have absolutely ZERO, ZIP, NOTTA, NO CHANCE of being competitive next season. Whats the logical step in lieu of this fact.

You do exactly what the OP pointed out. You draft for DEPTH!!! This is not a deep draft for positions the bills currently need as an impact player, they could however, get a boatload of depth players.

You trade down for the 20th, 3rd and 4th rounders.

You then trade Whitner and Lynch for as much as you can get.

You draft purely on depth, and with the 3-4 switch, you can bet Linebacker is going to be a needed depth position.

Excellent post by the way, I've Promoting this exact move with the Texans by the way. I would go for the 1st, 2nd and 5th, but it doesn't really matter.

an improving /building 8-8 would be awesome if an eye towards 10-6 in 2011 .

I ran a simulation of that scenario here.

DraftTek ODS

Here are the results:

20 Buffalo Anthony Davis OT Rutgers (Graham was drafted at 19)

41 Buffalo Rodger Saffold OT Indiana (Cody was drafted at 40)

51 Buffalo Cam Thomas DT34 North Carolina

72 Buffalo Taylor Price WRF Ohio (Tony Pike avail.)

104 Buffalo Arthur Jones DE34 Syracuse (Dennis Pitta TE and Torrell Troup DT34 avail.)

115 Buffalo Perry Riley ILB LSU

136 Buffalo Ted Larsen OC NC State (Owens DT34 and Lindsey Witten OLB avail.)

168 Buffalo Rahim Alem OLB34 LSU

182 Buffalo Andrew Quarless TE Penn State

193 Buffalo Chris Scott OG Tennessee

200 Buffalo Zac Robinson QB Oklahoma State (Grab) (Marcus Easley WR and Oghobaase DE)

DraftTek ODS

Here are the results:

104 Buffalo Arthur Jones DE34 Syracuse (Dennis Pitta TE and Torrell Troup DT34 avail.)

193 Buffalo Chris Scott OG Tennessee

200 Buffalo Zac Robinson QB Oklahoma State (Grab) (Marcus Easley WR and Oghobaase DE)

Where's the CB? :rolleyes:

Where's the CB? :rolleyes:

We pick up 1 in UDFA!

Terrence Johnson, California (PA) --Akwasi-Owusu Ansah is the small school CB from PA thats getting all the press and pub but Terrence Johnson played just as well this season. A different kind of player, Johnson is more of a small speedy corner that can run with anyone but he has legit 4.3 speed and was a true shutdown corner on his level. He also had 16 interceptions in his career and also contributed in the return game.

We pick up 1 in UDFA!

Terrence Johnson, California (PA) --Akwasi-Owusu Ansah is the small school CB from PA thats getting all the press and pub but Terrence Johnson played just as well this season. A different kind of player, Johnson is more of a small speedy corner that can run with anyone but he has legit 4.3 speed and was a true shutdown corner on his level. He also had 16 interceptions in his career and also contributed in the return game.

I just KNEW I could count on you. :rolleyes:

I think ur going to see teams value those seond round picks this year like first rounders. Ive heard and read a lot of people say that this is the best second round talent we have seen in years. The top end of the draft this year isnt outstanding but the depth is very good.

how about this

graham at 20

cody at 39

saffold at 50

still have a third and two 4ths

best wide reciever avail in third gilyard maybe

then maybe callaway r.t and and artur jones

Best scenario I've seen

DraftTek ODS

Here are the results:

193 Buffalo Chris Scott a OG Tennessee

i would be so impressed if this happened