Report: Bills pay Kelsay $500,000 roster bonus

bobcat

I never understood the reasons why so many fans are down on Kelsay. He does what he is supposed to do. He is solid on the run and he does get steady pressure on the qb. He is not, never was, and will ever be a dominant pass rushing end. His style of game is similar to Phil Hansen's game. He is the responsible end, while the other end is supposed to be the unrestrained pass rushing end. Chris Kelsay is the type of player who is smart enough to know who he is as a player, and all you can ask of him is to play within himself, which he does.

But it is not good enough.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the guy was better being a nebraskan but he's been stealing from the Bills for years this just adds to it. Schobel can switch to LB Kelsay can not. Almost like they didn't know it was coming up and got caught by suprise and made a poor decision. Another player that if we cut him his career would end

Same here, born in Omaha. I got his autograph on my Husker hat at a open training camp.

Queue the outraged "we should cut him" crowd!

I just wonder if that was what you were saying that monday night when he tipped the pass for an interception & touchdown against dallas ?? If nothing else the guy is a team player & has heart , he will do what ever the coaching staff wants . I know he use to play at a heavier weight so maybe they'll beef him back up & use him out side ?? :wallbash:

What the crap does Kelsay do behind close doors. He must be one hell of a basketball diaries kinda guy.

And why don't I like him, cause he makes waayyy too much money and never does anything. He's just there. He doesn't lose the game, but he never makes plays. He just exists. Actually, in just typing that, I realize why we keep him. He is the persona of the Bills. He is there to remind the fans what we will never be.

Give him a raise!!!

I don't believe Kelsay is even a candidate to play OLB. They paid the roster bonus because they're going to trade him sometime during or after the draft - most likely for another player or a 4th & 7th type of valuation. Anyone who needs a solid and reliable (but unspectacular) LDE for their 43 system will likely consider him.

We know that Greggg likes him a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were traded to the Saints for their DLine depth.

Betcha

What the crap does Kelsay do behind close doors. He must be one hell of a basketball diaries kinda guy.

And why don't I like him, cause he makes waayyy too much money and never does anything. He's just there. He doesn't lose the game, but he never makes plays. He just exists. Actually, in just typing that, I realize why we keep him. He is the persona of the Bills. He is there to remind the fans what we will never be.

Give him a raise!!!

Nice Basketball Diaries refeerence.

As I said" Kelsay is a turd that needs to be flushed down the toilet".

Taken from another board but this is from SI (don't have the link) but it's Kelsay's scouting report from college. Take it for what it's worth but the guy had a solid season last year and is more athletic than you think. Also, 500 K doesn't guarantee anything.

BIO: Three-year starter at the rush end position. All-Conference selection as a senior posting 38 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and seven sacks. Missed six games last year with a severe injury to his right hamstring. First-team All Big 12 choice, second team All-America and an All-Academic award winner as a junior after totaling 52-17-5. Started seven games the prior season posting 29-2-0.5. Four time first team Academic All Big 12 choice.

POSITIVES: Explosive and athletic pass rusher who may be best standing up over tackle. Tough but also smart and plays an intelligent brand of football. Quick anticipating the action, disciplined and stays with his assignments. Gets off the ball with a good first step, keeps his pads low and feet driving up the field. Immediately alters his angle of attack, flatens and pursues from the backside displaying great range with the ability to make plays in any direction of the field. Effective off the line playing in space and quickly closes on the action with a burst of closing speed. Fast enough to beat ball carriers to the flanks or cut off the corners from running backs. Works hard to rush the passer, deceptively strong and defeats two blockers on his way up the field. A warrior who plays while injured.

NEGATIVES: Lacks bulk and has difficulty with big blockers. Though he held up against the run in college, may not be able to do so at the next level.

ANALYSIS: Kelsay's athleticism and tenacity, coupled with his football intellect gives him the possibility at a variety of positions. Could grow into an every down defensive end in a four-three alignment but his movement skills and ability to immediately redirect to the action gives him a lot of potential at outside linebacker in a 34 defense.

I never understood the reasons why so many fans are down on Kelsay. He does what he is supposed to do. He is solid on the run and he does get steady pressure on the qb. He is not, never was, and will ever be a dominant pass rushing end. His style of game is similar to Phil Hansen's game. He is the responsible end, while the other end is supposed to be the unrestrained pass rushing end. Chris Kelsay is the type of player who is smart enough to know who he is as a player, and all you can ask of him is to play within himself, which he does.

[/quote

A GOOD PLAYER on a sub 500 team!!

Your points are well taken, but we MUST break the mentality of he's OK , Yes Hasen had Bruce on the other side who

comes along once in a lifetime. The De's who play within them selfs are all over the league on non-PLAYOFF teams.

Kelsey's a Nice player good team guy tow's the company line but to get to the next level he is just not good -nuff

and has been paid like a Super Star!! :wallbash:

According to Adam Caplan of Scout.com, barring a trade it looks Chris Kelsay will be back with the Buffalo Bills in 2010. Caplan said in his Scout.com blog Sunday that the team paid Kelsay his $500,000 roster bonus that was due on March 5."

He is in the fianl year of hs contract anyway If he was to be released or traded they would still save millions compared to the 500k the gave him this seaosn. Even if hes to ride out the lastt year of his contract he wont be back next year.

As a footnote you also have ot take into consideration they do not know if schoebel will retire or not and that might have alot to do with Bills decison on Kelsay this season.

The right thing to do would be to cut our entire roster. Then pray we can fill it before training camp. Brilliant.

PTR

Sarcasm noted, but I think they actually tried that at tackle last year. Didn't work so well ...