Report: Bills pay Kelsay $500,000 roster bonus

bobcat

According to Adam Caplan of Scout.com, barring a trade it looks Chris Kelsay will be back with the Buffalo Bills in 2010. Caplan said in his Scout.com blog Sunday that the team paid Kelsay his $500,000 roster bonus that was due on March 5."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills sure are serious about being mediocre! There is no way that Kelsay is going to play OLB. He's slow, unathletic, he's a terrible pass rusher and now he's going to be asked to make a tackle in space on a RB? How do you think he is going to look in the open feild against Leon Washington, Brown/Williams or Faulk? He is a DE in this defense.

Queue the outraged "we should cut him" crowd!

I never understood the reasons why so many fans are down on Kelsay. He does what he is supposed to do. He is solid on the run and he does get steady pressure on the qb. He is not, never was, and will ever be a dominant pass rushing end. His style of game is similar to Phil Hansen's game. He is the responsible end, while the other end is supposed to be the unrestrained pass rushing end. Chris Kelsay is the type of player who is smart enough to know who he is as a player, and all you can ask of him is to play within himself, which he does.

He's not great but, unfortunately, he's better than most of the other OLB prospects currently on our team. I don't see why you would get rid of him until you have someone else you want to start instead.

Exactly. Why would we cut a player under contract unless we have a replacement that is better? The turnover in this roster will not happen overnight, or in 1 year.

I never understood the reasons why so many fans are down on Kelsay. He does what he is supposed to do. He is solid on the run and he does get steady pressure on the qb. He is not, never was, and will ever be a dominant pass rushing end. His style of game is similar to Phil Hansen's game. He is the responsible end, while the other end is supposed to be the unrestrained pass rushing end. Chris Kelsay is the type of player who is smart enough to know who he is as a player, and all you can ask of him is to play within himself, which he does.

I understand what your saying, but I disagree on a couple of points. First, "steady pressure on the QB" would not be an accurate description of Kelsay's pass rush. Second, I don't think "all you can ask of him is to play within himself" is entirely true. I think you can ask a player who isn't very good, to get better or you're not going to play - let alone start for 7 years. I like Kelsay because he gives maximum effort. Unfortunately there's not enough results to make the money he's making and be awarded a starting NFL position.

Your post is a microcosm of why the Bills are in the position they're in. They don't have top end starting talent, they don't ask them to be, and don't replace them when they're not.

I understand what your saying, but I disagree on a couple of points. First, "steady pressure on the QB" would not be an accurate description of Kelsay's pass rush. Second, I don't think "all you can ask of him is to play within himself" is entirely true. I think you can ask a player who isn't very good, to get better or you're not going to play - let alone start for 7 years. I like Kelsay because he gives maximum effort. Unfortunately there's not enough results to make the money he's making and be awarded a starting NFL position.

Your post is a microcosm of why the Bills are in the position they're in. They don't have top end starting talent, they don't ask them to be, and don't replace them when they're not.

Would you say, Schobel was somebody who puts consistant pressure on the qb?

Just cause they gave him $500k doesn't mean he'll be on the opening day roster. They must feel they have a use for him. They've already shown that they're willing to part with guys like Reed whom they feel they don't have a use for..........

Just cause they gave him $500k doesn't mean he'll be on the opening day roster. They must feel they have a use for him. They've already shown that they're willing to part with guys like Reed whom they feel they don't have a use for..........

They would have cut him then when they cut Reed. He's staying on the roster unless we trade him.

also, just cause the base will be a 3-4.... truly the team could end up only having the depth to handle 1-2 injuries in the front 7 before they have to use a lot more 4-3. if one or two of the new OLB's go down early, we could very well see 4-3 as a much larger percentage of the snaps.

if they dont think they can get a more talented/reliable player on the roster, then keep him and work around what you do have for the year -- instead of picking a scheme and forcing less talented players to run it. i am hoping they have a general direction, but will maximize talent on the roster, and scheme around that for the time being.

its just sad that our line is so depleted that kelsey might be that talent, if only for this year....

I wish the guy was better being a nebraskan but he's been stealing from the Bills for years this just adds to it. Schobel can switch to LB Kelsay can not. Almost like they didn't know it was coming up and got caught by suprise and made a poor decision. Another player that if we cut him his career would end