Rich Gannon on Sirius Today Talking About Maybin

Rico

Some Bills fan called asking about going OT at #9 this year, that's what started the conversation. Schein and Gannon both said it was a bungled pick, Oher was the obvious choice.

Then we would have had to admit that getting rid of Peters was a bad idea. Instead they pulled the wool over the eyes of some of the more foolish Bills fans that thought that Bell could replace a 2 time probowler.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then we would have had to admit that getting rid of Peters was a bad idea. Instead they pulled the wool over the eyes of some of the more foolish Bills fans that thought that Bell could replace a 2 time probowler.

Well that is the beauty of a regime change like we have had.....that have the ability to blame any past mistakes on the last set of decision makers and say this is where their decisions start.

Remember.....Nix and Modrak didnt make the DECISIONS on who we drafted. They evaluated talent and make recommendations.

Your decisions were made by a money guy trying to be a GM and a lame duck HC on the hot seat.

This year will be different.....I FIRMLY believe that

No matter how you cut it, Maybin was a reach and just a poor pick for a #11. Orakpo, Oher, etc have all shown that. But that said, it is what it is. Buddy won't pick any "one year wonders" and we just have to move on. If we get some milage out of him, great.

I'm not expecting much from Maybin and neither should anyone else - that way we won't be more disappointed than we all are now. You can either spend your life looking forward a looking behind you. I'm choosing to look forward and hope Buddy and the boys break up our string of bad first round picks.

Yes, if Peters were here, at least we would be 7-9 again and have the 28th ranked offense.

A few days ago I went into the Archive and was looking at posts from this time last year. Before the draft there were A LOT of people on board with the Maybin pick, both fans and "experts".

There were a lot of people who said we had to have him with out pick. Many more who said he wasn't their first choice (usually because they didn't want a DE), but wouldn't be upset with the pick. And most people agreed that he was a top talent in the draft. There were a few people who said he was too small and didn't have enough experience, but those numbers were low.

It's an easy search, check it out. It's funny how many people here act like the Maybin pick came out of nowhere.

Count me in that group. I said Maybin was worth a 3rd round pick at most. Hell my memory is foggy, it may have been a 4th or 5th even.

Why is it so hard for you too believe that Maybin is a Bust? I was reported by Gill brandt in the Offseason that the Bills were very disapointed in his abilities.

They have no one to blame but themselves. What we got with Maybin this season is EXACTLY what I expected to get.

I don't recall any 'experts' suggesting Maybin was worth the 11th(?) pick. Not saying there wasn't one or two, but none that I remember.

Mock drafts...sure, you'll find those but they are called mock drafts for a reason.

Rank & file posters...hell yes, but look around you, is that really something you want to hang your hat on?

We picked a kid who was able to get on the field one season & pad his stats against inferior competition. Anyone who didn't see that (Jauron) had to be blind.

FWIW, Tan McShay had him as the 9th best prospect overall I believe. Knowing McShays talent - or lack thereof - that ranking sounds about right.

Just think, we took him ahead of Cushing, Mathews and Orakpo. Stupidity layed on top of stupidity.

I can't believe the Orakpo thing.

Living in DC, I get the 'Skins game by default. I watched a few this past year, and I have to tell you that Orakpo is the real deal. He blew up some good tackles out there with a mean bull rush, and also zipped past a few with a nice speed rush.

That was a real boner of a draft pick. Instead of Maybin, Orakpo or Oher should have been the choices.

Just like drafting Whitner instead of Ngata was an idiot move a couple of years ago.

Can you imagine our defensive line with Ngata and Orakpo?

OR an offensive line with Wood AND Oher?

Here's to hoping that the new front office won't be making the wrong choices :thumbsup:

Count me in that group. I said Maybin was worth a 3rd round pick at most. Hell my memory is foggy, it may have been a 4th or 5th even.

They have no one to blame but themselves. What we got with Maybin this season is EXACTLY what I expected to get.

FWIW, Tan McShay had him as the 9th best prospect overall I believe. Knowing McShays talent - or lack thereof - that ranking sounds about right.

Mcshay doesn't know shyt

I had to get in on this discussion, not that it matters cause we are stuck with this POS, but Maybin was, is and always will be a lousy, over-rated player. I hope he develops...somewhere else.

He would never have been selected had Buddy ran our draft (as he should have) last year. God - I am still fuming over this wasted pick a year ago and will likely never get over it. Here's to you '09 Bills Brain Trust, long live the incompetence.

This proves when you let Ralph in the War Room and play Al Davis......

Bone head pick and might not even make the team next year IMO. If he likes Penn State soooo he ought to take his playbook to the library and study before he goes after the Penn St cheerleaders

Don't see this anywhere on here, just an FYI...

Gannon covered some of the Bills games for CBS. Perry Fewell told him that the Bills were very disappointed in Maybin, that he was pretty slow to pick things up. He also asked Pos about him, and Pos said Maybin really needs to put more effort into studying.

What do you need to study? Put hand on ground. Watch ball. Ball move. Kill QB. I don't think DE is that difficult to master....

It's really sad when pathetic organizations make dumb decisions. Ralph has no one but himself to blame - he didn't want to pay a real GM last year, so the marketing guru deferred to the beleaguered coach who tried to hit a home run with the Maybin pick.

That's "hall-of-famer" to you, buddy. Don't you know this man actually gave a bowl of warm porridge to Al Davis back in the 1920s?

Some Bills fan called asking about going OT at #9 this year, that's what started the conversation. Schein and Gannon both said it was a bungled pick, Oher was the obvious choice.

Ya know, if I really sat down and thought about ALL the mistakes and bungling done by the guys who ran this team over the last 10 years, from coaches to GMs to Owner, and all the WTF moments in drafts, from Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over Oher...

...I think I'd like to take out a stick and start whacking a bunch of people over the head.

Seriously.

What do you need to study? Put hand on ground. Watch ball. Ball move. Kill QB. I don't think DE is that difficult to master....

I agree, although in the 4-3 they do drop in coverage occasionally. If he can't handle DE mentally he will never be a LB!

The only reason everyone isn't out there playing defensive end is that there are a limited number of roster spaces.

Don't see this anywhere on here, just an FYI...

Gannon covered some of the Bills games for CBS. Perry Fewell told him that the Bills were very disappointed in Maybin, that he was pretty slow to pick things up. He also asked Pos about him, and Pos said Maybin really needs to put more effort into studying.

sorry i'm just not buying it. no way will poz say negative things about a teammate in public i dont believe it!

poz IMO would take him on the side and speak with the player but never go public IMO!

Don't forget the capologist, old Jimmy Overdorf. Another guy who got to stick around and no one once mentioned him as a candidate to pack his bags.

He has a lot of influence, if you read between the lines.

Overdorf has the easiest job in the NFL. Spending money is Wilson's least favorite thing. So J.O. doesn't have to play games to make their payroll fit into the league guidelines. Any of us could do that job for the Bills.