Rich Gannon on Sirius Today Talking About Maybin

Rico

<--------------

This PSU homer understands why Maybin declared last year, but still wishes he would have stayed in school for another season ...

Agreed.

Also, I have to question the original posts report on what Gannon said OR question Gannon's report if the OP's interpretation is accurate.

Do you really think Poz dissed fellow PSU Maybin outright? Seriously? That doesn't sound like Poz even if the player wasn't from PSU. I have a feeling Rico or Gannon is leaving something out. Actually, I doubt Fewell would take that approach, either.

I'm guessing they mixed some criticism with some praise/hope and all we are getting here is the criticism. Typical, really.

With that said, Maybin needs to show more, that's for sure. Missing most of TC certainly didn't help.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember thinking it was a reach at the time. They needed an edge rusher (and an OT) and some of the mocks had us taking an edge rusher. Did Mayock, Kiper et al. trash the pick at the time??

Dohhhh!!! You sucked me in....

Move on...

Mayock trashed the pick a lot. He Siad Maybin was th 5th best DE in the whole draft!

Find me one.

A few days ago I went into the Archive and was looking at posts from this time last year. Before the draft there were A LOT of people on board with the Maybin pick, both fans and "experts".

There were a lot of people who said we had to have him with out pick. Many more who said he wasn't their first choice (usually because they didn't want a DE), but wouldn't be upset with the pick. And most people agreed that he was a top talent in the draft. There were a few people who said he was too small and didn't have enough experience, but those numbers were low.

It's an easy search, check it out. It's funny how many people here act like the Maybin pick came out of nowhere.

Man I am glad we got Nix and company. I just wish we had him here years ago <_<

Darth my man, I've asked you this before, what has Nix done? Wasn't Nix part of the staff that picked Maybin? Oh, I get it, he was the reason the Chargers picked guys like Mcniel, Sproles, Merriman and Cromartie. BUT he was NOT involved in the Maybin pick? Nix has done nothing for you to be sitting in your parents basement beating off all over your Buddy Nix autograph!

The Maybin pick is an absolute tradegy of a pick. I mean that too! Here is an orginization that is circling the drain and they pick a guy who is and will continue to be an absolute bust! It was litterally almost impossible for the Bills to miss with all of the talent that was there but that is why the Bills are as bad as any orginization in sports. Hopefully Maybin will signify the end of an absolute disasterous era and they can just move on. I say hopefully , Darth has to clean his Buddy Nix Bills boxers.

A few days ago I went into the Archive and was looking at posts from this time last year. Before the draft there were A LOT of people on board with the Maybin pick, both fans and "experts".

There were a lot of people who said we had to have him with out pick. Many more who said he wasn't their first choice (usually because they didn't want a DE), but wouldn't be upset with the pick. And most people agreed that he was a top talent in the draft. There were a few people who said he was too small and didn't have enough experience, but those numbers were low.

It's an easy search, check it out. It's funny how many people here act like the Maybin pick came out of nowhere.

You are correct.

Maybin wasn't my first choice (and I wish he would have stayed another year), but I accepted his pick as he had/has potential to be a dangerous pass rusher...something the Bills were looking for in the last draft.

While he was far from a sure thing, I thought he may have had the best high-end potential of all the pass rushers. He still may. You really can't judge any player's worth based on his rookie season.

Of course, one of the reasons I was OK with the pick was his reputation of being a very hard worker, great guy, etc. His holdout was unfortunate and something I didn't expect from him, to be honest. The reports of his lack of focus in preparation, if true, are also very disturbing and unexpected.

Mayock and most of NFLN said he was years away from starting in the NFL. McShay was his biggest fan ans he said that he was too small.

He runs to state colledge every chance he gets. Partying his arse off. Being the big show for the college kids. He seems like one of those players that let fame go to his head. This is the stuff he`s been told to avoid in nfl rookie meetings . But he has as it seems to have a thick head. Maybe Chan and the boys will crack the whip on Money Maybin. Hope so. <_<

As you indicated in your post maybe some tough love would help him get on track. If a player isn't doing well but is putting in the effort, that I can accept. But if a player isn't doing well and doesn't have enough maturity to bear down on his effort then I am not going to be too tolerant.

Side note: LaVar Arrington is his football mentor.

Maybin is a bust until/if he proves otherwise. How many high picks can this team blow? Seriously half this board can draft better then the front office the past 10 years(with the exception of last years draft minus the colossal Maybin !@#$up)

In retrospect it was a bad choice......not because we didn't take Orkapo but

- We traded Peters.....tried to move RT to LT....then cut him to.

- We did NOTHING in free agency to try to keep things stable at the LT position its like they made this huge debocle with Langston.....reallized they messed up....then didn't know what to do.

- What they SHOULD have done was either take Oher or bring in a free agent/make a trade for another young promising tackle.

The picking off of the trash heap for offensive line players last year when the injuries started hitting was maddening.

They've allowed talent, regardless of our personal feeling toward a player, to go out the door. And yet people rationalize at the time why it was a good move. Then most of the homers and schlubs figure out that it wasn't far down the road.

Trading Peters was dumb. And it's why this draft, Buffalo is most likely going to use another first rounder to replace someone. I'd argue this organization has been running in a wheel since 2006: Whitner for Milloy, Lynch for McGahee, Posluszny for Fletcher, McKelvin for Clements, and a rookie OT for Peters. That's five top picks in five years to replace departed players.

All this when the team didn't have a real GM. Coincidence? I think not.

Mayock and most of NFLN said he was years away from starting in the NFL. McShay was his biggest fan ans he said that he was too small.

Okay? I didn't say everyone....I said a lot. Good for Mayock (who slotted Maybin to us in his mock draft, so it wasn't too shocking to see someone take him so high).

Agreed.

Also, I have to question the original posts report on what Gannon said OR question Gannon's report if the OP's interpretation is accurate.

Do you really think Poz dissed fellow PSU Maybin outright? Seriously? That doesn't sound like Poz even if the player wasn't from PSU. I have a feeling Rico or Gannon is leaving something out. Actually, I doubt Fewell would take that approach, either.

I'm guessing they mixed some criticism with some praise/hope and all we are getting here is the criticism. Typical, really.

With that said, Maybin needs to show more, that's for sure. Missing most of TC certainly didn't help.

No, that's exactluy what he said, nothing at all positive about Maybin during the conversation.

Now I realize it's highly unlikely that you could afford both the Internet and Sirius, but if you could, they will replay the show later tonight. <_<

No, that's exactluy what he said, nothing at all positive about Maybin during the conversation.

Now I realize it's highly unlikely that you could afford both the Internet and Sirius, but if you could, they will replay the show later tonight. <_<

As I said I think you OR Gannon probably didn't give us the entire story. If you did, I'm guessing Gannon didn't. It just doesn't sound like something either of those guys would say, without some context.

Don't see this anywhere on here, just an FYI...

Gannon covered some of the Bills games for CBS. Perry Fewell told him that the Bills were very disappointed in Maybin, that he was pretty slow to pick things up. He also asked Pos about him, and Pos said Maybin really needs to put more effort into studying.

Yet another player long on talent and short on commitment. Cashed his check and mailed it in. Makes me want to sign more high motor guys!

They've allowed talent, regardless of our personal feeling toward a player, to go out the door. And yet people rationalize at the time why it was a good move. Then most of the homers and schlubs figure out that it wasn't far down the road.

Trading Peters was dumb. And it's why this draft, Buffalo is most likely going to use another first rounder to replace someone. I'd argue this organization has been running in a wheel since 2006: Whitner for Milloy, Lynch for McGahee, Posluszny for Fletcher, McKelvin for Clements, and a rookie OT for Peters. That's five top picks in five years to replace departed players.

All this when the team didn't have a real GM. Coincidence? I think not.

It's all about the contracts. All those players who were dispatched were going into their contract years or were believed to be too costly in their present contract. The irony is that the finance man, Littman, was more of a GM than the marketing man.

It does not get the Bills organization off the hook. No one on the board has the resources that the "professionals" and I use that term very loosely, in the Bills front office have. Maybin has better show up for all the OTA's or the fans will run him out of town. Playing DE is easy compared to playing linebacker from the mental aspect.

It's all about the contracts. All those players who were dispatched were going into their contract years or were believed to be too costly in their present contract. The irony is that the finance man, Littman, was more of a GM than the marketing man.

Don't forget the capologist, old Jimmy Overdorf. Another guy who got to stick around and no one once mentioned him as a candidate to pack his bags.

He has a lot of influence, if you read between the lines.