I think this time they got it right

In a few years I really believe that we're going to be talking about this offseason as the one where we finally got back on track after this wasted decade. I know there's 10 years that say odds are against me/us, but I really feel confident for the first time in a long time. I, like anyone else, probably would not have selected the combo of Nix, Gailey, Whaley, but they're absolutely perfect and proven. I really believe that we will be top notch organization in short order. There's been a lot of bungling done by our past front offices that's been plain to see by anyone. But no one can deny that we've had talented players come and go and continue to be successful elsewhere. We just didn't have the person/group to put all the pieces together right. Now I feel we do.

This is gonna be fun to watch over the next few years. Hopefully this is our decade. So all of you fans out there with a bad taste in your mouth, that love to bash this owner/front office, just remember to be happy when this gets turned around in September. This is going to be a really sweet present from Ralph Wilson - leaving us with another winner. I understand that you have to and will bash until proven wrong, but don't hold on to your bashing ways for too long when it does turn because it's a lot more fun to be happy than to be negative all the time. It takes a lot less energy too...energy that could be used elsewhere..

Hope springs eternal. I do not share your optimism however. Chan Gailey, while a good offensive mind, is not head coaching material. The guy couldn't succeed in college at GT! And outside of DeHaven I am unimpressed by his collegiate staff. I hope I'm wrong but I predict things are going to get pretty ugly around here over the next few years. And you thought Jauron was bad? Just wait. :thumbsup:

Hope springs eternal. I do not share your optimism however. Chan Gailey, while a good offensive mind, is not head coaching material. The guy couldn't succeed in college at GT! And outside of DeHaven I am unimpressed by his collegiate staff. I hope I'm wrong but I predict things are going to get pretty ugly around here over the next few years. And you thought Jauron was bad? Just wait. :thumbsup:

I hope you are wrong and I know you also hope you are wrong. I see things differently. If Nix would have still been with the Chargers and we brought him in I think everyone would have thought it was a good choice. I think Gailey is a great offensive mind, something we haven't had in a HC for a long time. You can't go by GT. That is college, which is mostly recruiting and GT is not in the top echelon of schools that great players want to go to. If you don't have great players you try to compensate by either being too risky at times on the field or too conservative, and then you get negative comments for that. I think the assistant coaches will do well. The most important thing is to have everyone on the same page and Gailey is pulling in people who know what he wants to do and want to do the same thing in their approach. Contrast that with Jauron and Turk last year.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Gailey, he did have success at Dallas and is widely regarded as a good coach. If Cowher thought he was the logical choice for an heir then there must be something to him. He was also able to pull in some solid assistant coaches. To me, college success is more a product of recruiting than it is coaching. I'm not saying coaching isn't important but I'm pretty sure that Dick Jauron could win a national championship at Florida.

I can't shake the feeling that we finally have the people in place that understand wtf they are doing when it comes to building a football team. I just have this feeling that Nix was sitting upstairs last year looking down on the field and shaking his head. The departure of guys like Reed and Denney make me think that this guy understands the difference between average players and great players.

I'm as optimistic this offseason as I have been in a LONG time.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Gailey, he did have success at Dallas and is widely regarded as a good coach. If Cowher thought he was the logical choice for an heir then there must be something to him. He was also able to pull in some solid assistant coaches. To me, college success is more a product of recruiting than it is coaching. I'm not saying coaching isn't important but I'm pretty sure that Dick Jauron could win a national championship at Florida.

I can't shake the feeling that we finally have the people in place that understand wtf they are doing when it comes to building a football team. I just have this feeling that Nix was sitting upstairs last year looking down on the field and shaking his head. The departure of guys like Reed and Denney make me think that this guy understands the difference between average players and great players.

I'm as optimistic this offseason as I have been in a LONG time.

Did Cowher ever hire Gailey as his heir?

I think it's a bit early to say "this time they got it right", because, other than a few predicable player dumps, nothing has happened yet. Can't we at least get through the draft before "they got it right"gets whipped out?

Did Cowher ever hire Gailey as his heir?

I think it's a bit early to say "this time they got it right", because, other than a few predicable player dumps, nothing has happened yet. Can't we at least get through the draft before "they got it right"gets whipped out?

It was reported that Cowher endorsed Gailey to be his successor at Pittsburgh.

I didn't say we have gotten anything right yet, I'm just saying I feel better about this crew than the last one. Only time will tell.

I understand that you have to and will bash until proven wrong, but don't hold on to your bashing ways for too long when it does turn because it's a lot more fun to be happy than to be negative all the time. It takes a lot less energy too...energy that could be used elsewhere..

But its just so much easier w no expectations. And this way we are right way more than we are wrong.

All I know is that my brother-in-law, a Bears fan, was pitying me once we hired Jauron. It was only a matter of time before that blew up in our faces.

I haven't heard nearly such bad things about Gailey. Although, it's not like he's being touted as a savior, either.

Hope springs eternal. I do not share your optimism however. Chan Gailey, while a good offensive mind, is not head coaching material. The guy couldn't succeed in college at GT! And outside of DeHaven I am unimpressed by his collegiate staff. I hope I'm wrong but I predict things are going to get pretty ugly around here over the next few years. And you thought Jauron was bad? Just wait. <_<

That pretty much sums it up. I couldn't stand Jauron because the organization wasn't making strides. You can win quite a few games just playing not to lose. What happens when Gailey comes in and the organization actually strives to get better? It could get worse, and will get worse if this staff isn't better than it looks like. The staff is reminiscent of the group that Gregg Williams assembled when he came to Buffalo. A bunch of guys nobody else would have hired. He probably had little choice because Gailey is not likley someone a top assistant would tie his career path to.

For me it hinges on the hope that Ralph and Smithers stay out of the football decisions. Nix has a solid football background as we all know. I see Nix quitting before becoming a Ralph 'Yes-man'.

Three years ago, at least according to Pro Football Weekly, Burns ordered that the Bills select Marshawn Lynch. At the time, they had only one RB on the roster, and non-personnel man C. Montgomery figured they needed one, so voila!

Nothing and no one stops the owner from interfering in matters he's not educated in. I could see them doing what RW says because everyone's just happy to have a job. Need a LT? Take this guy, after all, I've sat in meetings and Buddy Gailey say this team needs one.

Sure, he's the owner, but tell me one hands-on owner who's won anything in 15 years. And then ask yourself who would ever tell RW no. The last guy that did that was fired 17 years ago. RW doesn't care that he knows nothing about selecting football players. And no, being an owner for 50 years doesn't count as though he were a scout.

I am always optimistic in the off-season but I think I will hold off until I see some players brought in.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Though I like the new coaching staff, the front office moves, etc...I will reserve my judgement until after the draft, and free agency starts.

With their comments thus far, I would not expect the Bills to really make any huge splashes in free agency (Peppers, Wilfork, etc). I think it will be more of a solid, grinding type of players type of period, where bodies that can play are emphasized over any big names.

The draft is where I think the gold mine will come from.

I don't think QB is the biggest need. I'm not sold on any of these QB's coming out. I like a stud LT at #1, Gronkowski at #2, maybe trading someone already on the roster for another #2 for a solid defensive lineman, a reserve up and comer in the later rounds at RB...some real smash mouth guys that WILL start and dominate.

Give me 22 Eric Woods and I think we will be fine.

Three years ago, at least according to Pro Football Weekly, Burns ordered that the Bills select Marshawn Lynch. At the time, they had only one RB on the roster, and non-personnel man C. Montgomery figured they needed one, so voila!

Nothing and no one stops the owner from interfering in matters he's not educated in. I could see them doing what RW says because everyone's just happy to have a job. Need a LT? Take this guy, after all, I've sat in meetings and Buddy Gailey say this team needs one.

Sure, he's the owner, but tell me one hands-on owner who's won anything in 15 years. And then ask yourself who would ever tell RW no. The last guy that did that was fired 17 years ago. RW doesn't care that he knows nothing about selecting football players. And no, being an owner for 50 years doesn't count as though he were a scout.

The owner is at a stage in his life where he is fading. I don't mean to be disrespectful or am trying to ridicule him because of his age. But I think he has gotten to the point where he can't handle being involved. The only issue that really concerns him is how much of a financial return he is getting. Jeff Littman is the person who will be involved in following the money flow. I honestly believe that Buddy Nix has been given full authority to manage the football side of the operation. As long as he stays within the confine of Littman's budget Nix will be making the football decisions without much interference.

The owner is at a stage in his life where he is fading. I don't mean to be disrespectful or am trying to ridicule him because of his age. But I think he has gotten to the point where he can't handle being involved. The only issue that really concerns him is how much of a financial return he is getting. Jeff Littman is the person who will be involved in following the money flow. I honestly believe that Buddy Nix has been given full authority to manage the football side of the operation. As long as he stays within the confine of Littman's budget Nix will be making the football decisions without much interference.

And yet, just last year it was revealed Burns ordered Smithers to sign TO. RW looked frail at the Nix PC, but it wasn't long ago that he personally fired DJ and was probably involved in talking to Cowher this December/January.

Now that Buddy has been given the unique title of GM of Football, he's probably got some say in how things are run. But don't forget this team has one foot in the proverbial hole when it comes to selling tickets. Something will be done to address this, and a PR move typically doesn't fit with a team's rebuilding plans. Enter RW, with consultation from Smithers no matter what Buddy Gailey think.

In a few years I really believe that we're going to be talking about this offseason as the one where we finally got back on track after this wasted decade. I know there's 10 years that say odds are against me/us, but I really feel confident for the first time in a long time. I, like anyone else, probably would not have selected the combo of Nix, Gailey, Whaley, but they're absolutely perfect and proven. I really believe that we will be top notch organization in short order. There's been a lot of bungling done by our past front offices that's been plain to see by anyone. But no one can deny that we've had talented players come and go and continue to be successful elsewhere. We just didn't have the person/group to put all the pieces together right. Now I feel we do.

This is gonna be fun to watch over the next few years. Hopefully this is our decade. So all of you fans out there with a bad taste in your mouth, that love to bash this owner/front office, just remember to be happy when this gets turned around in September. This is going to be a really sweet present from Ralph Wilson - leaving us with another winner. I understand that you have to and will bash until proven wrong, but don't hold on to your bashing ways for too long when it does turn because it's a lot more fun to be happy than to be negative all the time. It takes a lot less energy too...energy that could be used elsewhere..

?