Jason Campbell to Buffalo rumor

zow2

Just when you think you've seen it all! People actually clamoring for Jason freaking Campbell as our starting QB?!?! Talk about lowered expectations! Jason Campbell? Seriously? :wallbash: And we have to give up Whitner AND a draft pick for the services of Jason "the savior" Campbell?!?! I wouldn't want him if he were an unrestricted FA. Let alone have to trade for him.

Thank you!

If the Bills were to trade Whitner to the Skins, it should be for a 2nd to 5th with Campbell thrown in. The Bills shouldn't be giving up anything to just get Campbell.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when you think you've seen it all! People actually clamoring for Jason freaking Campbell as our starting QB?!?! Talk about lowered expectations! Jason Campbell? Seriously? :wallbash: And we have to give up Whitner AND a draft pick for the services of Jason "the savior" Campbell?!?! I wouldn't want him if he were an unrestricted FA. Let alone have to trade for him.

I agree with this guy.

No one is clamoring for him. He isn't a savior qb. There isn't any savior qb on the market. But if you can get an upgrade at the qb position which will allow you to address the most pressing need, OL, then you make the deal. What is the major downside to such a deal? You are not giving up much with a Whitner trade and you are not mortgaging your future giving up precious draft picks.

Whitner is a solid player. He has been tagged as a failure by some because he was foolishly takened with a too high draft pick. The expectations for him didn't match his performance. It wasn't his fault that the fools who drafted him over-estimated his value. If there is one area the Bills are strong in (the only area) it is in the defensive backfield. If trading DW will allow us to upgrade the qb position and give us the opportunity to address other crtical needs, then I say it is the smart thing to do.

Jason Campbell would barely be an upgrade over Trent or Fitz.

How strange is it that I'd be more happy about getting rid of Whitner in this trade than I am about getting Campbell?

Not strange at all imo. Although Whitner is a competitor, I don't like the tone he sets when taking his off field behavior into consideration. He is a part of the Levy/Jauron idiocy that should be exorcised, and I would take Campbell in a second. As for throwing in a draft pick, perhaps the extra 6th from the Peters deal, but not much, if anything more.

No one is clamoring for him. He isn't a savior qb. There isn't any savior qb on the market. But if you can get an upgrade at the qb position which will allow you to address the most pressing need, OL, then you make the deal. What is the major downside to such a deal? You are not giving up much with a Whitner trade and you are not mortgaging your future giving up precious draft picks.

Whitner is a solid player. He has been tagged as a failure by some because he was foolishly takened with a too high draft pick. The expectations for him didn't match his performance. It wasn't his fault that the fools who drafted him over-estimated his value. If there is one area the Bills are strong in (the only area) it is in the defensive backfield. If trading DW will allow us to upgrade the qb position and give us the opportunity to address other crtical needs, then I say it is the smart thing to do.

The problem is Campbell. I cannot see him as an upgrade over Trent or Fitz? I hate giving up a pick, any pick for Campbell. There have been some great players drafted in the late rounds. I don't like this rumor at all.

I do agree that Whitner is a solid player. Not his fault he was taken when he was and he is a whipping boy on this board for it.

Jason Campbell improved his accuracy, yards, and touchdowns every season since he's been in the league. He threw for over 3,000 yards and 20 tds last year for a team that has no wrs, a crappy OL and consistently banged up running backs. PLUS he lost chris cooley for a good portion of the year, and went through changes to his coaches every year. For people to say Trent Edwards is better than him is absolutely absurd.

He had better stats than qbs like cutler, matt ryan, david gerrard, DONOVAN MCNABB, carson palmer, etc. how people think this isnt an improvement to what we already have is beyond me

Jason Campbell improved his accuracy, yards, and touchdowns every season since he's been in the league. He threw for over 3,000 yards and 20 tds last year for a team that has no wrs, a crappy OL and consistently banged up running backs. PLUS he lost chris cooley for a good portion of the year, and went through changes to his coaches every year. For people to say Trent Edwards is better than him is absolutely absurd.

See, there you go presenting facts while the rest of us are trying to bash a guy that may possibly end up playing for Buffalo.

I suppose the next thing you're going to do is compare him to a QB that virtually everyone on this board would trade for. Like maybe say that--in spite of all of those challenges (in which you didn't mention the fact that he was playing for a totally overmatched head coach)--he perfromed on par with a guy that just about everyone here would be jumping for joy if Buffalo acquired:

Campbell: 327/507 (64.5%), 31.7 Att/game, 3,618 yds, 7.1 YPA, 20 TD, 15 INT, 86.4 QB rating, 40 completions 20+ yds, 8 completions 40+ yds, 43 sacks

QB2: 339/513 (66.1%), 34.2 Att/game, 3,753 yds, 7.3 YPA, 26 TD, 14 INT, 93.2 QB rating, 42 completions 20+ yds, 3 completions 40+ yds, 24 sacks

Source:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

Anyone got a guess as to QB2's identity? Scroll down for the answer...

Borderline Future HOF QB Kurt Warner

He had better stats than qbs like cutler, matt ryan, david gerrard, DONOVAN MCNABB, carson palmer, etc. how people think this isnt an improvement to what we already have is beyond me

If he's sooo good, why does the team that knows him best want to get rid of him? :wallbash:

No way would I do this trade. I don't think we should be trading away decent players like Whitner and draft picks for a guy who's head is literally swimming for a bazillion different coordinators at Auburn and Washington, with a lack of confidence that holds the ball ala Rob Johnson.

Pass.

I'm not big on Campbell but I respect his toughness and ability to play behind a terrible offensive line. We thought our line sucked- and it did- but the skins line is a couple notches below ours yet he was able to make plays. That part is interesting he doesn't need everything to go exactly right on a play to execute it. All in all I also would rather have Thigpen but for Whit and a pick I might grab him anyway he would be a capable back up

Listening to a DC radio show this morning, they had a call claiming very reliable "inside information" (lol)....that Campbell will be moved to Buffalo for Whitner and a pick. I've seen plenty of Jason Campbell. The *only* thing he has going for him is arm strength to slice through the wind. That he has. His iffy pocket presence, annoying habit of hanging on to the ball way too long and captain checkdown tendencies are big negatives in DC. I suppose he could be a credible backup QB but i would not be excited at all to get him.

I've watched alot of Cambell over the past several years. He is a significant upgrade over anything we have. He is tough, physical, great arm, smart enough and is a good teammate. His footwork has improved as well as the number of turnovers. He is not a vocal leader, indecisive at times and just plain dull. Take it from somebody who watches every Skins and Bills game, he would be good for us this year so we could cut Edwards and even Fitz but he's not the long term answer. If we trade for him AND draft a QB that would be great.

I don't hate Campbell and would be fine with him coming to Buffalo, but Whitner is too high a price to pay, IMO.

I respectfully disagree. The nightmare that was Levy/Jauron left this team with a plethora of defensive backs and weak in almost every other area. This would be tough to dispute imo. In fact, the team was at one point playing without Whitner (#8) and McKelvin (#11) and hardly suffered, if they suffered at all.

This tells me that there is an overabundance in the secondary, and makes the deal attractive. Also, qbs simply are worth more in general than safeties. Yeah.....I would be fine with this deal.

Here is what you have to ask your self.

Is Campbell a better option with a 4th or 5th round plus Whitner?

With 4th or 5th your giving up maybe Snead or Pike at best.

If Washington Drafts a QB in 1st rd and then trades with us and we get a OT, NT, LB, Trade, OT or OT, Trade I would do it.

I am an Auburn guy and Campbell has always been a class act.

If that happens it better not be Whitner and any pick earlier than the 5th.

Fixed.

Swapping two disappointing guys is fine. There is no way in hell the Bills should be giving up a pick to get a QB that has shown nothing more than Trent Edwards.

They should tell the Skins even swap or forget it.

See, there you go presenting facts while the rest of us are trying to bash a guy that may possibly end up playing for Buffalo.

I suppose the next thing you're going to do is compare him to a QB that virtually everyone on this board would trade for. Like maybe say that--in spite of all of those challenges (in which you didn't mention the fact that he was playing for a totally overmatched head coach)--he perfromed on par with a guy that just about everyone here would be jumping for joy if Buffalo acquired:

Campbell: 327/507 (64.5%), 31.7 Att/game, 3,618 yds, 7.1 YPA, 20 TD, 15 INT, 86.4 QB rating, 40 completions 20+ yds, 8 completions 40+ yds, 43 sacks

QB2: 339/513 (66.1%), 34.2 Att/game, 3,753 yds, 7.3 YPA, 26 TD, 14 INT, 93.2 QB rating, 42 completions 20+ yds, 3 completions 40+ yds, 24 sacks

Source:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

Anyone got a guess as to QB2's identity? Scroll down for the answer...

Borderline Future HOF QB Kurt Warner

You are so on the money Bandit. When was the last time Buffalo had a 3,600 yard QB? Bledsoe? The TD's and INT's could use some work on Campbell but he is a solid QB. He would probably rank near 15th or better in the league if you ranked QB's this past year and as you and others have said here, he had absolutely no WR's, his TE was injured, his OL was just as bad or worst than ours, he was constantly reminded that he was not wanted on his team by his coaching staff and fans. His situation makes JP Losmans look like DisneyLand. He would be a huge upgrade over Trent or Fitz and might actually have a future with just the right amount of TLC. It would get rid of a useless waste at safety and we could focus more on the lines. This is a great deal IMO. Nothing more than Whitner and a 4th or 5th though.