Incredible QB story discussing Brohm and others

F UNC

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Brohm was once projected to go #1 overall??

Tim Couch & Jamarcus Russell not only were once projected to go #1 overall, they did! At least the NFL started seeing some of Brohm's flaws before the draft. Unfortunately for Green Bay, they wasted a #2 on Brohm, when they could have drafted Chad Henne & groomed him to trade for a #1 like Jacksonville did with Rob Johnson.

Clearly, they're not. However he also gets extremely high grades on football intelligence, leadership, and work ethic. (unlike some question marks other QBs in this draft have (cough, Clausen, cough). In other words, he's the comlete package.

Of course he still may flop, but lets be honest, all we can really go off of are college numbers.

Clausen is good to go at the next level. Lined up in a pro-style offence with a mostly lousy offensive line (unlike Bradford) and showed near unbelievable decision making and grit. IMO he is the real deal. Doesn't matter. He won't be there at 9.

Clausen is good to go at the next level. Lined up in a pro-style offence with a mostly lousy offensive line (unlike Bradford) and showed near unbelievable decision making and grit. IMO he is the real deal. Doesn't matter. He won't be there at 9.

unbelievable decision making? did you watch him play? Heck, even McShay notes in his analysis how many times Clausen just heaved the ball up in the air aimlessly..ala JP.

I really wouldn't have THAT big of a problem with Clausen...I'll just take Bradford over him. Smarter, bigger, more accurate, and from everything i've read (though I obviously know neither), has much better character.

yes, i know. i'm saying it's just a consideration, that's all. Level of competition in ACC >> MAC. hard to argue against that.

I realize the level of competition is higher, but so many QBs come from non-power conference schools that I think a player's alma mater should be chucked out the window when considering the draft.

Roethlisberger went to Miami Ohio

Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa

Brett Favre went to Southern Mississippi

Tony Romo went to Eastern Illinois

Joe Flacco went to Delaware

Hell, Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard and he's a starter (technically)

The Bills desperately need a franchise QB. If they don't trade for McNabb & their scouts & Buddy come to the conclusion that either Bradford or Clausen is the real deal, they should make a bold move & trade up & get their guy. This wait to see who is left at #9 is totally unacceptable if their scouts believe in one of the top guys. All the people fed up that our last QB needed to grow a pair should have the same attitude towards the guys picking our next QB. If we want to suck forever, then we should stay at #9 & be passive, or we can be bold & make a move to get someone good to play the most important position on the field.

I realize the level of competition is higher, but so many QBs come from non-power conference schools that I think a player's alma mater should be chucked out the window when considering the draft.

Roethlisberger went to Miami Ohio

Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa

Brett Favre went to Southern Mississippi

Tony Romo went to Eastern Illinois

Hell, Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard and he's a starter (technically)

Fair enough. To be honest, I thought twice about making the MAC comment. It's not fair, really. I'm not sure how much consideration I'd give it if I was analyzing a player. Probably keep it in the back of my mind though, that's all.

Dan Lefevour: 53 games, 66.4% completion pct., 12,000 yds passing, 102 TD's, 36 INT's, 142.9 QB rating

The man ROCKS !! This is buffalo's future !!! Why is it so hard to see ?? They say Bradford is supposed to go in the first round , he played in a spread offense like plus he was out a year with an injury & yet Lefevour barely get's a mention , (maybe that's a good thing) & he must be durable 53 starts & he rushed for over 2500 yards too !!

Funny Ryan and Flacco were first round picks and have done good, Brohm can't beat out 7th stringers for a roster spot.

Brohm and that 7th rounder were drafted in the same year, and who cares if he was taken in the 7th, Brady was taken in the 6th. GB loves Flynn and felt he was more ready to play than Brohm was when they were both rookies. You keep making a big deal over which round they were selected in. GB thought enough of Brohm to try and keep him despite already having a top 5 QB in Rodgers and loving Flynn. Brohm has NEVER had a chance yet to show anything. GB was so hurting at other positions that they had to only carry 2 QB's. So, come year 2, Flynn was entrenched as the backup and they had no room for 3 QB's.

News flash...you dont go with a guy because of what round he was taken in, you go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win if called upon. They felt Flynn adjusted faster than Brohm to the speed of the game and would be more ready to step in for Rodgers if needed...its that simple.

Just because Brohm didnt turn into a star as a rookie doesnt mean he is a bust. Its the most complicated position in all of sports and you cant get over the fact that between two ROOKIES they felt one was more ready to play than the other. Doesnt mean they think Flynn will be the better QB overall, just that if Rodgers went down he was more ready to step in.

Brohm has had little to no opportunity to play. so how you can label him a scrub or a bust is beyond me. Let me ask you this, was Rodgers a scrub because he sat 3 years, had 3 years to learn from a HOF QB, was groomed by great coaches yet GB still saw it necessary to use TWO draft picks in the same draft the year Rodgers was to finally take the reigns?

So why dont you let Brohm have a chance to play before you label him a bust. He has a big arm, was highly accurate in college and GB said he picked up the playbook faster than any player they have ever seen. He needed more time to adjust to the speed of the game was his only problem, which he admited, and has since said he feels much more comfortable with it now.

He has great upside at little cost to us...seriously, how is this a bad thing? We have a top prospect for pennies compared to what a QB would cost at #9 who has as much upside as anyone in the drat and 2 years in the NFL already. This is a good problem to have. He may or may not pan out, but as of right now he is a very intriguing prospect that we have at no risk...so relax on your Brohm bashing already, especailly since you already admitted in another thread you dont know anything about him.

unbelievable decision making? did you watch him play? Heck, even McShay notes in his analysis how many times Clausen just heaved the ball up in the air aimlessly..ala JP.

I really wouldn't have THAT big of a problem with Clausen...I'll just take Bradford over him. Smarter, bigger, more accurate, and from everything i've read (though I obviously know neither), has much better character.

In his junior year 28 TDs 4Ints. It is just not possible that he is only throwing it up for grabs. I agree he is a goof and a dick. But there are some goofs and dicks that just have "QB" stamped on their foreheads, like Jay Cutler (whose decision making is however well below Clausen's).

I will support any QB that plays for the Bills. Bradford has skill and I cannot deny that. I have 2 main concerns about Bradford in the NFL.

1. He played entirely out of a spread offense

2. He had a monstrous offensive line that protected him very well through most of his career. (Its easier for a QB to be good when they have time and can see the field)

I say you devote your top picks to the trenches this year and have a camp battle (Or bring in someone via trade/FA).

Wasn't there rumors that the Bills would be implementing a spread this year though?

Brohm and that 7th rounder were drafted in the same year, and who cares if he was taken in the 7th, Brady was taken in the 6th. GB loves Flynn and felt he was more ready to play than Brohm was when they were both rookies. You keep making a big deal over which round they were selected in. GB thought enough of Brohm to try and keep him despite already having a top 5 QB in Rodgers and loving Flynn. Brohm has NEVER had a chance yet to show anything. GB was so hurting at other positions that they had to only carry 2 QB's. So, come year 2, Flynn was entrenched as the backup and they had no room for 3 QB's.

News flash...you dont go with a guy because of what round he was taken in, you go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win if called upon. They felt Flynn adjusted faster than Brohm to the speed of the game and would be more ready to step in for Rodgers if needed...its that simple.

Just because Brohm didnt turn into a star as a rookie doesnt mean he is a bust. Its the most complicated position in all of sports and you cant get over the fact that between two ROOKIES they felt one was more ready to play than the other. Doesnt mean they think Flynn will be the better QB overall, just that if Rodgers went down he was more ready to step in.

Brohm has had little to no opportunity to play. so how you can label him a scrub or a bust is beyond me. Let me ask you this, was Rodgers a scrub because he sat 3 years, had 3 years to learn from a HOF QB, was groomed by great coaches yet GB still saw it necessary to use TWO draft picks in the same draft the year Rodgers was to finally take the reigns?

So why dont you let Brohm have a chance to play before you label him a bust. He has a big arm, was highly accurate in college and GB said he picked up the playbook faster than any player they have ever seen. He needed more time to adjust to the speed of the game was his only problem, which he admited, and has since said he feels much more comfortable with it now.

He has great upside at little cost to us...seriously, how is this a bad thing? We have a top prospect for pennies compared to what a QB would cost at #9 who has as much upside as anyone in the drat and 2 years in the NFL already. This is a good problem to have. He may or may not pan out, but as of right now he is a very intriguing prospect that we have at no risk...so relax on your Brohm bashing already, especailly since you already admitted in another thread you dont know anything about him.

Good post. I get the impression that Brohm, used to being able to overcome adversity on the field with his intelligence and ability, got a bit frustrated as he struggled to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. That alone is the hardest thing for ANY player to adjust to regardless of position. I can see how a young, highly touted and successful college QB, could let that frustration start to make him press. And we all know how things can spiral downward from there. It's a positive that he learned the system as quickly as he did and that he RECOGNIZED he needed to adjust to the speed of the game as his biggest challenge. Both signs of a smart player. That's FIRST on the list of desireable QB traits. I'm hoping he shows something in camp and pre-season.

GO BILLS!!!

<H2 class=subhead>"Brian Brohm (33 starts, 65.8 percent completion rate)"</H2>

"A year ago, Brohm topped Mel Kiper's first 2008 draft board. Now it is a question whether he will even go in the first round. What changed over the last year? The answer is nothing. Brohm's weaknesses -- arm strength and mobility -- are the same as they were a year ago. So are his strengths: touch, decision-making, pocket presence and a strong work ethic. You can question his durability, but he had the same injuries in his past when he was a projected No. 1 overall pick a year ago. However, Louisville struggled this past season, finishing with a 6-6 record. So if we punished quarterback prospects because they played on bad teams, nobody in Denver would own a Jay Cutler replica jersey.

Statistically, Brohm has a profile that points to success. His 33 starts are less than stellar, and the injuries that kept him from starting more should be cause for concern, but his career completion percentage is the stuff NFL stars are made of. It is possible Brohm could fail -- maybe he'll get injured again, perhaps the completion percentage will prove to be the product of a gimmicky college offense -- but if I could pick him in the second half of the first round, I would be awfully excited about it."

Brohm will be remembered as the last acquisition of the previous regime. Will he be the 'Curse of Jauron' or Ironic Iconic?

Git 'im out there! Let's see what he can do.

The guy is a bust because nobody in the league wanted him in September when Green Bay waived him. Sorry, but I have a lot more respect of the opinions of some of the top professional talent evaluators in the business than I do of any amateurs on this board, you and myself included.

If he has such a "big arm" why do scouting report after scouting report, including the one that is the basis of this thread downgrade his arm strength?

The Green Bay wanted him stuff is getting pretty old-they didn't think enough of him to not offer him for free to anyone who wanted him back in September. Just because they offered to match the Bills 2 year deal as an insurance policy late in the season doesn't indicate any real interest in keeping him as anything but a guy who knew their offense. They always had 3 QBs around this year & after the guy who replaced Brohm on the practice squad signed with Stl, they signed another guy to the PS who was later signed to the winter roster. Nobody with your premise has ever been able to answer a question I've posed, please try: If Green Bay was so high on Brohm, why didn't they try & exceed the Bills offer in both years & dollars? The Packers only tried to keep their 2009 insurance policy in place, nothing more as evidenced by their lack of making Brohm an offer that would have kept him away from the Bills.

You're right, we have for pennies, but I would hardly call a guy that the finest football minds in the business all passed on putting a waiver claim on as a guy with great upside.

The worst thing that the Brohm advocates do is settle for mediocrity. Brohm is ok to keep around as a player who you can pencil in as your #3 QB next year, but if we go to camp with him having any shot at the starting job, then team management has failed us, the fans, and Ralph Wilson the owner, by not acquiring a QB who really has an upside, or is a proven veteran. To go into next August with a camp of Fitzpatrick, Brohm, Edwards or a mid-round pick & possibly Hamdan is too sickening to even realistically think about. I trust that Buddy will not do that & will make a bold move to get a QB that is not just someone else's trash.

Career 67.6% Comp. Perc.; 8,403 yards; 88td; 16int; 175.6 rating.

Very similar to this guy:

Career 66.4% Comp. Perc.; 9,285 yards; 88td; 16int; 164.17 rating

Pretty amazing considering he also had:

Career: 692 rushes, 2,947 yrds, 57 TD's

This is also proof that college stats don't mean crap when you're talking about transition to the NFL.

We shall see if he is given a legit chance...why not? He is better than the college crop and the avail free agent crop IMO.

There is no way in hell Brohm is better than Bradford or Clausen. The guy had his chance to become the backup to Aaron Rogers but he couldn't beat out a 2nd stringer.

When GB took Brohm he had a legit shot. They didnt know of Rogers would be worth a damn so they too, Brohm in the 2nd round.

Bottom line he is another backup scrub that has no business trying to start inthe NFL