Incredible QB story discussing Brohm and others

F UNC

Dan Lefevour: 53 games, 66.4% completion pct., 12,000 yds passing, 102 TD's, 36 INT's, 142.9 QB rating

oh ya and he is mobile and he didnt play in warm weather and he doesnt have injury history like bradford... he is our man in round 2.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, let me just restate that last post one more time: Career 67.6% Comp. Perc.; 8,403 yards; 88td; 16int; 175.6 rating.

Let it sink in.

Ok, it has sunken in......eh, big deal.

Crap, even Tebow has a resume better than that (9285yds, 88TDs, 67% completions, National titles, Heisman, etc. Every accolade for Lee Fever is followed by the letters "M,A,C".

Hey, let's apply this this "incredible QB story" to another guy: Case Keenum from Houston--you want to talk about insane numbers---he's got it all:

3 year starter: check

69% career passing accuracy: check

13,000 yard in 3 seasons (over 5000 yds in EACH of past 2 seasons)

102 TDs

Guess he'll be the "incredible QB" coming out next year then?

Look, I say we stick with Brohm as the man of the future (although this story points out his weak arm, immobility and propensity for injury--not a hopeful trifecta). Bring in a legit veteran QB (Thigpen, Seneca Wallace, orton don't fit that description)--this team hasn't had one since Bledsoe. Pass on Bradford. Dump Edwards and keep Fitz (he's not awful-especially as a backup).

Bradford: Career 67.6% Comp. Perc.; 8,403 yards; 88td; 16int; 175.6 rating; in 31 games. GODLY.

Oh, I like Bradford as well. Redskins pick ahead of us and have ties to him with their surgeon on staff (also his surgeon)...if they pass on him that tells me they think his health might be risky?

Clausen is good to go at the next level. Lined up in a pro-style offence with a mostly lousy offensive line (unlike Bradford)which clearly proves he is already an NFL QB and showed near unbelievable decision making Trent Edwards like checking down and grit. IMO he is the real deal. Doesn't matter. He won't be there at 9.

Fixed.

oh ya and he is mobile and he didnt play in warm weather and he doesnt have injury history like bradford... he is our man in round 2.

He may well be...he will get a chance somewhere....he and Brohm should compete and the best man wins!

So did big ben and chad...if you can play you can play. Flacco played at lil ole delaware. Romo...N illinois.

There is a huge difference between playing like an NFL QB in a weak conference and playing like a college QB in a weak conference. Lefevour did the latter.

I think that was discussed in the article regarding gimmicky systems.

additionally, none of those three guys is 6'3" and 230 ... Brohm is the prototype. I also have seen him throw and read elsewhere that he has a strong arm and can make all the throws.

Brohm and that 7th rounder were drafted in the same year, and who cares if he was taken in the 7th, Brady was taken in the 6th. GB loves Flynn and felt he was more ready to play than Brohm was when they were both rookies. You keep making a big deal over which round they were selected in. GB thought enough of Brohm to try and keep him despite already having a top 5 QB in Rodgers and loving Flynn. Brohm has NEVER had a chance yet to show anything. GB was so hurting at other positions that they had to only carry 2 QB's. So, come year 2, Flynn was entrenched as the backup and they had no room for 3 QB's.

News flash...you dont go with a guy because of what round he was taken in, you go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win if called upon. They felt Flynn adjusted faster than Brohm to the speed of the game and would be more ready to step in for Rodgers if needed...its that simple.

Just because Brohm didnt turn into a star as a rookie doesnt mean he is a bust. Its the most complicated position in all of sports and you cant get over the fact that between two ROOKIES they felt one was more ready to play than the other. Doesnt mean they think Flynn will be the better QB overall, just that if Rodgers went down he was more ready to step in.

Brohm has had little to no opportunity to play. so how you can label him a scrub or a bust is beyond me. Let me ask you this, was Rodgers a scrub because he sat 3 years, had 3 years to learn from a HOF QB, was groomed by great coaches yet GB still saw it necessary to use TWO draft picks in the same draft the year Rodgers was to finally take the reigns?

So why dont you let Brohm have a chance to play before you label him a bust. He has a big arm, was highly accurate in college and GB said he picked up the playbook faster than any player they have ever seen. He needed more time to adjust to the speed of the game was his only problem, which he admited, and has since said he feels much more comfortable with it now.

He has great upside at little cost to us...seriously, how is this a bad thing? We have a top prospect for pennies compared to what a QB would cost at #9 who has as much upside as anyone in the drat and 2 years in the NFL already. This is a good problem to have. He may or may not pan out, but as of right now he is a very intriguing prospect that we have at no risk...so relax on your Brohm bashing already, especailly since you already admitted in another thread you dont know anything about him.

YUP! :D

that's a solid article F UNC. Problem with Brohm however may be more mental than anything else..which is hard to measure quantitatively. Brohm said himself he was "in over his head" while in GB..we'll see.

He scored well on the intellect test...is a smart kid...has now been groomed for 3 yrs....I think he wins the job no matter who we draft to be honest. :D

BUY - WORTH A ROUND 1 PICK

By Rob Tribbett

In order for an NFL team to be successful, they must have consistent leadership and performance at the quarterback position. Louisville QB Brian Brohm combines starting experience with a strong arm and solid understanding of the game. He has all of the qualities necessary to succeed in the NFL and is very worthy of a first round pick.

Research by David Lewin at The Football Outsiders, has shown that the two factors that determine the success of high draft picks at the QB position are games started and completion percentage. Brohm started in 33 career games while appearing in 11 other games at Louisville as a true freshman. Brohm’s career completion percentage is an obscene 65.8%, well above the baseline for NFL success. He has maintained his production in two different offenses, despite inconsistent play at the wide receiver spot (aside from Harry Douglas) and a revolving door at RB due to injuries.

Many underestimate Brohm’s arm strength and natural athleticism because he does everything so easily. He was an elite recruit who has deceptive athleticism that he uses to escape the pocket and make plays down the field. While his arm strength may not be at the elite level of Chad Henne or Joe Flacco, it is certainly above average. He is one of the more accurate QBs in the draft and his understanding of the game is unrivaled.

Brohm fits virtually any NFL system, where his quick release and accuracy would succeed in a West Coast system and his arm strength would work in a more vertical game. Brohm entered the 2007 college season as the top rated QB, and as has happened several times over the past several years (Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn), has slipped in some eyes, due to no fault of his own. The Cardinals struggles in 2007 could be blamed on the defense – not Brohm who through 30 touchdowns at over a 65% completion percentage.

While some are concerned about Brohm’s durability, he suffered two fluky injuries and was willing to play through them. Critics also were worried about the durability of Trent Edwards in the 2007 NFL draft, but Edwards demonstrated in his first season that those concerns were unfounded for a QB.

Brian Brohm may not be selected in the first round of the NFL draft, but he certainly should be. His combination of experience, arm strength, and accuracy make him one of the top prospects we have seen in recent years. Add to that his success in a two different offensive systems and his understanding of the passing game, and Brohm clearly is deserving of being a Round 1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft

How would a known quality QB do with a line we have had at Buffalo. No disrespect of the line with all the injuries we had, but a more stable line should produce better results. Meaning even with a guy like Payton Manning, Rivers, Brees, would the results be the same as the 2009 season. Should be better for those QB's for they get rid of the ball very fast. My thoughts are it would not be too much better.

The likelihood of finding a quality starting QB outside the top two rounds is slim. There are always exceptions, but it's rare for a guy to come out of the 3rd round and below or via the UDFA ranks.

Of the NFL starting QB's in 2009, I count Warner, M. Hasselbeck, Bulger, Delhomme, Romo, Orton, Cassel, Gradkowski, Schaub, Garrard, Edwards/Fitzpatrick, and Brady as the only signal callers who were acquired below the 2nd round. And I'd say only 2-3 of those guys are quality.

In contrast, from 1999-2008, 93 QB's were taken in rounds 3-7. And yet, in 2009, only Brady and Schaub are what I would consider dependable or better QB's. That's not a good ratio if you're looking to find a QB below round 2. I'm not going to review UDFA signings for the same period, but if Warner and Romo are the only examples, I'm sure they're in the minority as well.

QB's taken - Draft History

The flip side is that 33 QB's were drafted in round 1 from 1999-2008 with huge financial commitments and only 15 are NFL starters...and I'm not even adding in the 1st rounders that were TRADED by some stupid franchises for QBs.

There is a huge difference between playing like an NFL QB in a weak conference and playing like a college QB in a weak conference. Lefevour did the latter.

That wasnt my point...Ben is doing great in Pittsburgh, Flacco in Baltimore, and Chad has had a very good career. My point is not every QB can pick where they play in college. Some play in big programs and do well in the NFL, some dont. The QB position is a crap shoot, everyone knows that. I am merely stating that good QBs can some from other places besides the ACC, SEC, PAC, Big 10 etc...

I diasgree that he played like a college QB in a weak conference. He played pretty darn good in his time with central michigan.

And then Mr. Exception chimes in and says it doesn't matter where someone is drafted and cites Brady, Warner, Romo. But check where the majority of the starting QB's were taken. You guessed it, the first round or second rounds.

Sorry to burst your little bubble but you are incorrect. I just did a rundown of every QB to start an NFL game in 2008. (The 2009 list was not available on Wikipedia) Of the 53 players to start an NFL regular season game at QB in 2008 only 22, that's 42%, were drafted in the first or second round. The other 31 were drafted 3rd round or later, or undrafted.

What happens when you take the backups out? It becomes 50/50. 16 QBs were drafted in Rounds 1 & 2, 16 were not. So this shows, at least in 2008, that where a QB is drafted makes no difference as to whether he becomes a starter.

List of NFL starting QBs 2008

PTR

BUY - WORTH A ROUND 1 PICK

By Rob Tribbett

In order for an NFL team to be successful, they must have consistent leadership and performance at the quarterback position. Louisville QB Brian Brohm combines starting experience with a strong arm and solid understanding of the game. He has all of the qualities necessary to succeed in the NFL and is very worthy of a first round pick.

Research by David Lewin at The Football Outsiders, has shown that the two factors that determine the success of high draft picks at the QB position are games started and completion percentage. Brohm started in 33 career games while appearing in 11 other games at Louisville as a true freshman. Brohm’s career completion percentage is an obscene 65.8%, well above the baseline for NFL success. He has maintained his production in two different offenses, despite inconsistent play at the wide receiver spot (aside from Harry Douglas) and a revolving door at RB due to injuries.

Many underestimate Brohm’s arm strength and natural athleticism because he does everything so easily. He was an elite recruit who has deceptive athleticism that he uses to escape the pocket and make plays down the field. While his arm strength may not be at the elite level of Chad Henne or Joe Flacco, it is certainly above average. He is one of the more accurate QBs in the draft and his understanding of the game is unrivaled.

Brohm fits virtually any NFL system, where his quick release and accuracy would succeed in a West Coast system and his arm strength would work in a more vertical game. Brohm entered the 2007 college season as the top rated QB, and as has happened several times over the past several years (Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn), has slipped in some eyes, due to no fault of his own. The Cardinals struggles in 2007 could be blamed on the defense – not Brohm who through 30 touchdowns at over a 65% completion percentage.

While some are concerned about Brohm’s durability, he suffered two fluky injuries and was willing to play through them. Critics also were worried about the durability of Trent Edwards in the 2007 NFL draft, but Edwards demonstrated in his first season that those concerns were unfounded for a QB.

Brian Brohm may not be selected in the first round of the NFL draft, but he certainly should be. His combination of experience, arm strength, and accuracy make him one of the top prospects we have seen in recent years. Add to that his success in a two different offensive systems and his understanding of the passing game, and Brohm clearly is deserving of being a Round 1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft

BROHM!!