Best drummer of all time?

BillsPride12

the drummer on the first 2 or 3 Parts & Labor albums was an absolute monster. Probably the best I have ever seen play.

Of course I don't remember his name at all or feel like looking it up.

Keith Moon needs to be on the list

Paul Quattrone from Modey Lemon

Steve Shelly from Sonic Youth

Kid Millions from Oneida

Dave Lombardo from Slayer/Fantomas

If anyone is interested in drummers I'd suggest checking out the more recent Boredoms records. Their new stuff is 3 drummers and various noise. Sounds like it would be obnoxious, but it really isn't. Kind of hypnotic and beautiful

My vote's for Bonzo Bonham as well. I read in a book about Led Zeppelin that Karen Carpenter actually beat out Bonham in an annual poll for Best Drummer. Interesting.....

I'd also nominate Stuart Copeland (Police).

He used to really beat the **** outta his drums, he was awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fwcFjzyik

All time: Buddy Rich

Modern: Mike Portnoy

And even though he isn't a technically gifted drummer...I love listening to Ringo play. If anyone has Anthology 2, listen to the end of the third Strawberry Fields track on Disc 2. Dude goes off!

Obviously Peart should be at the top.

In Modern Drummer magazine, he isn't even allowed to be nominated in reader polls anymore, because he always wins.

Pearti is very good, maybe technically superior to Bonham. But Bonham was no slouch in that department, and I think he's better because his looser style of drumming is something that people relate to better. His solo in Moby Dick is memorable for example, and I really don't Peart has anything all that memorable.

Pearti is very good, maybe technically superior to Bonham. But Bonham was no slouch in that department, and I think he's better because his looser style of drumming is something that people relate to better. His solo in Moby Dick is memorable for example, and I really don't Peart has anything all that memorable.

Obviously, you've never listened to anything remotely close to the entire catalog. Peart is by far better not only technically (what else is there, really), but also plays a "loose" style as well.

I've often considered Peart to be a highly skilled and disciplined version of Keith Moon . . .

Listen to:

Subdivisions

and if you're thinking that he only could do it 20 years ago, this is from '07 and on a 5 piece kit.

Malignant Narcicism

Sorry, but I've been around drums for almost 30 years, and there just aren't a lot rock drummers who should be mentioned in the same breath as Peart. Jazz on the other hand . . . .

I'm on board with the Peart and Stuart Copeland nominations. And I loved the comparison of Peart as a disciplined Keith Moon; both dudes were so good they were at times literally "lead" drummers.

But I just wanted to mention that young kid who absolutely savaged that tiny drumkit during Carlos Santana's Woodstock set. That boy went off.

All great drummers. I'd add:

Topper Headon of the Clash

Hal Blaine, session man

Danny Seraphine of Chicago (You know you know the drum part to 25 or 6 to 4!)

Tres Cool of Green Day

Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters

Max Weinberg of E Street Band

Larry Mullen, Jr. of U2

Chad Smith of RHCP

Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick (Guilty pleasure!)