Who the !@#$ Are You

Chef Jim

Not at all horrible by Super Bowl halftime standards. I could have done without Who Are You, though. A pretty poor Who song, IMO. A rousing version of Eminence Front would have been far better.

At least they didn't play Squeeze Box (unless I missed it).

A rousing version of Eminence Front would have been far better.

It was all the Who could do to get through the songs they played.

Rousing? From their daily nap, maybe.

OK, I'm done with the Old Who jokes.

They can, but safely. How ironic is that The Who is chosen to preform at a SB, an event where 'safe' is the key?

I was really hoping Daltry would drop an f-bomb in Who Are You as a farewell gift to the establishment.

And welcome back mac! How's yer head?

And welcome back mac! How's yer head?

Feeling pretty good all things considered. Constant ringing in both ears but the pain has eased mightily over the past couple days. I did find out tonight that I probably should have put off my first single malt for a bit longer. One decent double really knocked me on my ass. Combined with the Keppra that I'm on for the next month the effects were a bit over the top.

Ah well, nothing ventured nothing gained!

I did find out tonight that I probably should have put off my first single malt for a bit longer. One decent double really knocked me on my ass.

:(

Sounds like you're doing extraordinarily well. Thrilled to hear it!

Try a single with extra ice for the next few weeks. :worthy:

Feeling pretty good all things considered. Constant ringing in both ears but the pain has eased mightily over the past couple days. I did find out tonight that I probably should have put off my first single malt for a bit longer. One decent double really knocked me on my ass. Combined with the Keppra that I'm on for the next month the effects were a bit over the top.

Still I bet that single malt tasted mighy good. Hope you poured one for your wife.... she has to enjoy having the opportunity to put her feet up.

Still I bet that single malt tasted mighy good. Hope you poured one for your wife.... she has to enjoy having the opportunity to put her feet up.

Nah, she can't handle single malts. A decent Irish is more her style of whiskey.

We don't currently have any Irish in the cupboard and you know how difficult it is to get to an honest to goodness liquor store around here. I'll have to head to The Colony to get her a bottle or three. She deserves that and so much more.

Nah, she can't handle single malts. A decent Irish is more her style of whiskey.

We don't currently have any Irish in the cupboard and you know how difficult it is to get to an honest to goodness liquor store around here. I'll have to head to The Colony to get her a bottle or three. She deserves that and so much more.

I'm just East of Addison so I have liquor row about 12 minutes out the door. While I am happy she has reason to stop posting I'll miss your wife's sense of humor. She is a good one. :worthy:

I just East of Addison so I have liquor row about 12 minutes out the door. While I am happy she has reason to stop posting I'll miss your wife's senseof humor. She is a good one. :worthy:

She is that. As others have put it I definitely outkicked the coverage when I landed her!

Not at all horrible by Super Bowl halftime standards. I could have done without Who Are You, though. A pretty poor Who song, IMO. A rousing version of Eminence Front would have been far better.

At least they didn't play Squeeze Box (unless I missed it).

halftimes..its a put on

Y'all come up to a game any time soon, I'll make sure the bottle of Jameson's travels with me.

The Scotch, I can't help you with.

Oh, and FWIW, the guys in the stadium said there was a major delay between the live show and the broadcast. Talking a good 20-30 seconds. Guess they weren't taking any chances on wardrobe, or other, malfunctions. :worthy:

Oh, and FWIW, the guys in the stadium said there was a major delay between the live show and the broadcast. Talking a good 20-30 seconds. Guess they weren't taking any chances on wardrobe, or other, malfunctions. :worthy:

There were several awkward cuts during the performance - I think they used it a few times.

Daltrey's gotta be pissed that Zack Starkey got more camera time than he did.

I honestly thought they were flat vocally. Very flat vocally. Of course, if there was a 20 second delay, that would throw every singer into a loop. I know from experience of singing the national anthem for a couple Bisons games as a kid

Really?

So that's steady dose of Keppra and a double single malt.

Got it.

Thanks!

How is that a bad thing? Good for the budget, anyway.

Welcome back.

I honestly thought they were flat vocally. Very flat vocally. Of course, if there was a 20 second delay, that would throw every singer into a loop. I know from experience of singing the national anthem for a couple Bisons games as a kid

There's also the reality that the type of music The Who made is impossible for near septuagenarians to sing.

Not what I meant. We weren't seeing a live broadcast of the halftime show.

Overall an unimpressive performance and a bad decision to hand the halftime show over to a couple of 65 year old "rockers". Here is an unfriendly review of the performance.

Roger Daltrey's upper register has been endangered for some time, and on a big stage he resorted to chesty bluster. He and Townshend harmonized like bickering walruses.
Not far from the truth.

They were very rough from the start. Pinball Wizzard was embarrassing. Does anyone under 25 even know what pinball is? :thumbsup: They did improve vocally a little as they warmed up. The special effects/light show really saved their bacon. Without it, the show would have been a total bust.

Overall an unimpressive performance and a bad decision to hand the halftime show over to a couple of 65 year old "rockers". Here is an unfriendly review of the performance. Not far from the truth.

Please no more Prince though ... please. The critic gives too much weight to the idea that people are actually watching the SB based on the halftime show. No way will people not watch because the halftime show sucks. People watch the game, bask in the opportunity to interact with friends and frankly are often more interested in the commercials.

Please no more Prince though ... please. The critic gives too much weight to the idea that people are actually watching the SB based on the halftime show. No way will people not watch because the halftime show sucks. People watch the game, bask in the opportunity to interact with friends and frankly are often more interested in the commercials.

I was just glad to see something other than some lame hip hop show during halftime. This was one of the rare times I didn't change stations.

I was just glad to see something other than some lame hip hop show during halftime. This was one of the rare times I didn't change stations.

Agreed, I'll take an average Who performance over anybody else of the past many years.

Agreed, I'll take an average Who performance over anybody else of the past many years.

After reading the thread over on the other side of the board, I didn't even realize that it's been pretty much nothing but rock lately. That's fine by me.

Here are some the beauties here,

2000 Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton

1999 Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Savion Glover

1998 Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, The Temptations, Queen Latifah

1997 Blues Brothers, ZZ Top, James Brown

1996 Diana Ross

1995 Indiana Jones & Marion Ravenwood, Patti LaBelle, Tony Bennett, Arturo Sandoval, Miami Sound Machine

1994 Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, The Judds

1993 Michael Jackson

1992 Gloria Estefan with Olympic Figure skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill

1991 New Kids on the Block, Disney characters

1990 Pete Fountain, Doug Kershaw, Irma Thomas, Nicholls State University band, Southern University band, USL band

1989 Elvis Presto 3-D commercial for Diet Coke

1988 Chubby Checker, The Rockettes

1987 Southern California-area High School drill teams and dancers

1986 Up with People: Beat of the Future

1985 World of Children's Dreams, Tops In Blue

1984 University of Florida and Florida State University bands

1983 KaleidoSUPERscope, Los Angeles Super Drill Team

1982 Up with People: Salute to the 1960s and Motown

1981 Mardi Gras Festival Southern University band, Helen O'Connell

1980 Up with People: A Salute to the Big Band Era

1979 Ken Hamilton, various Caribbean bands

1978 Tyler Apache Belles Drill Team, Pete Fountain & Al Hirt

1977 Los Angeles Unified All-City Band & Audience card stunt

1976 Up with People: Bicentennial Tribute

1975 Tribute to Duke Ellington: Mercer Ellington & Grambling State University Bands

1974 University of Texas Band

1973 Tommy Walker, Michigan Marching Band & Woody Herman

1972 Salute to Louis Armstrong: Ella Fitzgerald, Carol Channing, Al Hirt & USMC Drill Team

1971 Florida A&M University Band

1970 Carol Channing, Tribute to Mardi Gras

1969 America Thanks Florida A&M University N/A

1968 Grambling State University Band

1967 University of Arizona & University of Michigan Bands

NICE MCLOVIN!!!

Roger is friggin 64 WTF! Let me ask you could have done their songs better?

I've never been a fan of The Who. And last nights performance definitely didn't suddenly turn me into a fan. That said,I don't get the people who put them down cuz of their age or declining abilities. Of course they don't sound as good,THEY'RE GETTING OLD! It happens to everyone,and seeing a favorite band perform their hits pleases those who are fans. I've got no problem with these older acts,as long as they don't just "mail it in".