Bills offer assistant GM to Doug Whaley

shaker4187

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006 Q&A with Doug Whaley

Q: Can you talk about your job and what it entails?

A: During the season, mostly I'm the advance scout for the coaches, so during the week I'll break down the film of the opponent -- not their plays, but their players: the good points, the weak points and the summary of how they played. During the weekend, I'll go out and do some colleges. This weekend, I'm going to go to UVa (University of Virginia), watch film of their players on Friday and Saturday watch them play Miami, and then Sunday I'll go to Baltimore. I'll be trying to get things the coaches can't get off film like injuries. If a guy's hurt, was he carted off the field? Was he running on the sidelines? You try to get some signals and things like that in the general flow of the game because when you get the game, we don't have the TV copy so you don't get the continuous feeds. You get the offense and the defense. So I'll tell them, 'Hey, they started strong. They didn't really finish.' In the offseason, we get together and start looking at the unrestricted and restricted free agents, see who we're going to bring in. And we're always involved in college, the all-star games and going to the (NFL) Combine and getting ready for the draft. After the draft we'll start looking at NFL Europe players. It's keeping on top of guys that are out there that we may be interested in and guys in the league that we might be interested in, too, when their contracts are up.

Pat Kirwin's take - Need a GM? Here's a short list of the best candidates

Group 4 (Thomas Dimitroff model)

The people in this group are all from successful organizations and could impress an owner in an interview. They have been trained by high-profile executives and should carry the ability to bring the philosophy of a winning program to a new club. No one really knew Patriots personnel man Tom Dimitroff before his video interview with the Falcons last year, and now Atlanta has clinched a playoff spot, thanks largely to Dimitroff's first draft pick, Matt Ryan. Roll the dice and that could happen again this year with someone from this group.

Mark Dominik: Director of pro personnel for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

John Dorsey: Director of college scouting for the Green Bay Packers.

Brian Gaine: Assistant director of player personnel for the Miami Dolphins.

Ron Hughes: College scouting coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Scott Studwell: Director of college scouting for the Minnesota Vikings.

Doug Whaley
: Pro personnel coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

2006 Q&A with Doug Whaley

Q: Can you talk about your job and what it entails?

A: During the season, mostly I'm the advance scout for the coaches, so during the week I'll break down the film of the opponent -- not their plays, but their players: the good points, the weak points and the summary of how they played. During the weekend, I'll go out and do some colleges. This weekend, I'm going to go to UVa (University of Virginia), watch film of their players on Friday and Saturday watch them play Miami, and then Sunday I'll go to Baltimore. I'll be trying to get things the coaches can't get off film like injuries. If a guy's hurt, was he carted off the field? Was he running on the sidelines? You try to get some signals and things like that in the general flow of the game because when you get the game, we don't have the TV copy so you don't get the continuous feeds. You get the offense and the defense. So I'll tell them, 'Hey, they started strong. They didn't really finish.' In the offseason, we get together and start looking at the unrestricted and restricted free agents, see who we're going to bring in. And we're always involved in college, the all-star games and going to the (NFL) Combine and getting ready for the draft. After the draft we'll start looking at NFL Europe players. It's keeping on top of guys that are out there that we may be interested in and guys in the league that we might be interested in, too, when their contracts are up.

Pat Kirwin's take - Need a GM? Here's a short list of the best candidates

Group 4 (Thomas Dimitroff model)

The people in this group are all from successful organizations and could impress an owner in an interview. They have been trained by high-profile executives and should carry the ability to bring the philosophy of a winning program to a new club. No one really knew Patriots personnel man Tom Dimitroff before his video interview with the Falcons last year, and now Atlanta has clinched a playoff spot, thanks largely to Dimitroff's first draft pick, Matt Ryan. Roll the dice and that could happen again this year with someone from this group.

Mark Dominik: Director of pro personnel for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

John Dorsey: Director of college scouting for the Green Bay Packers.

Brian Gaine: Assistant director of player personnel for the Miami Dolphins.

Ron Hughes: College scouting coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Scott Studwell: Director of college scouting for the Minnesota Vikings.

Doug Whaley
: Pro personnel coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I want to go on record as saying if/when he gets an offer to be GM of a team in the future (bills or otherwise), there is no value in being an Assistant GM as all they are is nothing but glorified errand boys.

Without knowing anything about this guy just the fact that there will be a younger person from outside the organization "in the room" should be a good thing.

Right, because a persons age is directly related to their skills.

Outstanding hire! We just hired (due to a promotion in title) the pro player personnel guy from the Steelers! This guy was in charge of scouting future opponants as well. Damn good hire, should be the next GM of the Bills whenever Nix steps down.

Damn good hire!!! <_<

Interesting comments, that include Whaley's name (see last paragraph), by an unidentified source after Nix got his job ....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...raws-criticism/

Regardless of whether Brandon nudged the process toward Nix or Guy in order to preserve Brandon's turf, one league insider expressed strong opinions regarding the decision to go with Nix.

"The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL," the source said. "The Bills have not been to the playoffs in over 10 years and that run will continue for years to come. The owner has made three hires in a row that shows he only cares about mediocrity.

"Four years ago he brings back Marv Levy, who was in his 80's. That didn't work. Two years ago he elevates his marketing director to G.M. and COO and again it doesn't work, and now he elevates a 70-year-old scout to a position that requires work and energy. . . .

"The eight years he spent in San Diego he had the titles Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and Assistant G.M. yet he never lived in San Diego. He lived somewhere in Tennessee. . . . Someone who lives in another city is away from the day-to-day operations.

"Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins continue to make moves to get better while the Bills just tread water. There are good people who were very interested in that job, like Dave Gettelman, Scott Studwell and Doug Whaley that never got a chance. All those guys could have helped that team. The best hope for Bills fans is that the owner decides to sell the team and then someone who cares about winning takes over and brings in qualified people."

The only possible way to maintain an advantage as a small market club in the era of a disappearing salary cap is to hire the best personnel evaluators you can find (the marginal returns on that investment are so much higher than on players themselves, because execs are cheaper). So this is definitely a step in the right direction. Keep it coming.