Bills offer assistant GM to Doug Whaley

shaker4187

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is your replacement for John Guy. Let me be the first to welcome him...(ahem)

WHO'S THIS GUY?? I NEVER HEARD OF HIM!! TYPICAL CHEAP-ASS RALPH WILSON MOVE!!! ESPN IS LAUGHING AT US!!! I'M DONE WITH THIS TEAM!!

Thank you. <_<

PTR

You had me doubled up on the floor with laughter. Great post.

I absolutely love this move.

Personnel has been our big problem for years. I wasn't sure about Nix, but this just shows that Nix isn't enough of a control freak to worry about another strong voice. Just the opposite, in fact.

I wonder if the understanding is that when Nix retires in a year or three, Whaley would take over? That would be even better, because we would have had a chance to test-drive the new GM, which would in turn mean that Ralph wouldn't have a problem with him.

Terrific news.

Great links...

I love this: "Pittsburgh does not draft more for defense than other teams. In fact, they probably draft for defense less. Since 2000, Pittsburgh has drafted for defense on just 30 out of 69 picks — or 43 percent. If you take the top three rounds, the Steelers have drafted for defense 50 percent — 13 of 26 — since 2000. They draft well, so they don’t have to keep re-tracing their steps on defense."

I want to go on record as saying if/when he gets an offer to be GM of a team in the future (bills or otherwise), there is no value in being an Assistant GM as all they are is nothing but glorified errand boys.

If you say so. <_<

Great hire. Now it's time to get a DC from the SB-winning team's assistant ranks.

preventing a man from leaving for a better position after 12 years on the job for them. If he’d been there for 5 years maybe. Hes done plenty for Pittsburgh and I’m sure has enough people in the organization looking out for his best interests at this point to allow it to happen.btw, the mvp jersey from the nfl shop show

coach purses

preventing a man from leaving for a better position after 12 years on the job for them. If he’d been there for 5 years maybe. Hes done plenty for Pittsburgh and I’m sure has enough people in the organization looking out for his best interests at this point to allow it to happen.

HUH?

OK, we all like the guy. He's young. Comes from a strong team. But, may I ask... does anyone know of any players he was responsible for bringing in? I've read 5 pages of posts and no one has really mentioned his scouting track record. I did a quick google, but found nothing. So, help me get behind this signing, please.

OK, we all like the guy. He's young. Comes from a strong team. But, may I ask... does anyone know of any players he was responsible for bringing in? I've read 5 pages of posts and no one has really mentioned his scouting track record. I did a quick google, but found nothing. So, help me get behind this signing, please.

it's less the players he can bring in (for now) and more important his ability to SCOUT other teams. How many times did we hear from Trent, Lee, etc - we just weren't prepared for the 3-4 or what they threw at us. This guy has a track record of being successful at least in this category as based on the steelers success the past 5-6 years. We forget, its not just coaching - its getting game plans prepared and part of that is advance scouting. besides being horrible at finding Free Agents, Guy was atrocious at preparing us for upcomign teams. at the very least we should improve in this area.

in terms of his scouting ability? Id rather see him learn from nix and modrak at this point, and possible bring in another 1 or 2 guys for the FO - be it scouts, personnel directors, etc.

in some ways - this could be ralph "opening the bank." we have had a notoriously shoe string front office these past few years, and it be good to see RW invest some serious $$$ into good personnel men and scouts and increasing us in that department, as well as in coaching staff. as a friend at ESPN tells me - coaches are worth paying big bucks to because you know they are never going on IR...

If you say so. :thumbsup:

Great hire. Now it's time to get a DC from the SB-winning team's assistant ranks.

quick shot at the buddy haters due to his chargers-assistant-gm to bills gm ascension. i read a few posts that suggested that when nix was hired. i'm in the 'it's your show buddy/chan, deliver us some wins' camp. in fact, just like brangelina, i'm referring to the bills brain trust as ........Chuddy.