Colts to make Peyton Manning highest paid player in NFL

papazoid

Irsay makes a very good point in his comments in the last paragraph. The key IS replaceability. Manning is not replaceable, so you pay him the big bucks, and that's being smart with your dollars. Was Peters replaceable? We'll find out soon. I hope.

Totally worth it.

- Can win games by himself.

- Against the Jets make the the #1 defense look foolish. Tore them apart and made it look easy.

- Best 3-step drop in NFL history - ball is out when he hits his 3rd step.

- You CAN NOT bilitz this guy or his will kill you.

- A release as fast or faster than Marino.

- Never misses games.

- Fantastic leader. Good citizen.

- Plays better in big games.

- Student of the game.

I think he's better than Brady, because he does well with an inferior supporting cast to New England.

I agree with every post so far. The crazy thing about this, though, is Carson Palmer's current contract-which is the highest paid. He seemed to take that big next step a few years ago, just before the injury in the playoffs and he simply hasn't been the same since. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him on the Bills, but Cinci has to be scratching their collective head over that contract.

It's not likely Manning will develop even further,and now in his mid-30's, we're probably seeing his very best right now. A wind-down soon seems inevitable.

Then again, he's Peyton Manning!

What would the record of THIS year's Colts be without Manning...6-10, maybe 7-9? They had 7 or 8 comeback wins.

Peyton IS the best player in the league. If he was playing in Buffalo the Bills would be a SB contender -- even with our current roster.

What would the record of THIS year's Colts be without Manning...6-10, maybe 7-9? They had 7 or 8 comeback wins.

Peyton IS the best player in the league. If he was playing in Buffalo the Bills would be a SB contender -- even with our current roster.

Without Peyton Manning the Colts might have been 6-10 if Jim Sorgi didn't get hurt. If they had to rely on Curtis Painter, after seeing him in the last two games of the season, they might have been lucky to win 2 or 3 games.

I agree with every post so far. The crazy thing about this, though, is Carson Palmer's current contract-which is the highest paid. He seemed to take that big next step a few years ago, just before the injury in the playoffs and he simply hasn't been the same since. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him on the Bills, but Cinci has to be scratching their collective head over that contract.

It's not likely Manning will develop even further,and now in his mid-30's, we're probably seeing his very best right now. A wind-down soon seems inevitable.

Then again, he's Peyton Manning!

Can he develop further? He is already the best in the league, and by the time he retires, arguably the best ever. When any player has been in the league 12 years, their developing should be complete and they should be at the best they are ever going to be, or maybe even past their best, although not in Manning's case.

Now with not cap next year, say this contract puts the Colts way over what would have been the cap. Say the Redskins go out and get a $200 million team salary for next year. How do these teams restructure if/when a new cap is put in place? Will they be forced to cut players straight up?

Nice to see an owner so willing to pay his talented irreplaceable players, ie Pat Williams.

Irsay makes a very good point in his comments in the last paragraph. The key IS replaceability. Manning is not replaceable, so you pay him the big bucks, and that's being smart with your dollars. Was Peters replaceable? We'll find out soon. I hope.

You mean just like Kelsay and Schobel, right?

not saying that he's not worth it, but at this stage of his career it seems more like a reward for past play cuz it's hard to believe that he can get better... :thumbdown:

peyton is 33 today....he will be 34 in march.....he "may" not get much better, but he is in the prime of his career QB age wise. there is no reason to believe he won't continue to play at this elite level for at least 5 more years, thru his age 38. assuming he keeps the same system and offensive coordinator, i think he can and will continue to get better.

i would take peyton right now, at $100 miliion/ 5year deal in a heartbeat. Irsay has it right, he should be considered irreplaceable.