INTERESTING Dan Reeves Comment...

Bash_Gash

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

XX 1090 Radio with Lee''Hacksaw'' Hamilton in San Diego says the Bills are interviewing Jim Bates for DC job. Just thought I would let u guys know.

From Wikipedia...

Jim Bates (born May 31, 1946) is an American football coach for the National Football League, most recently serving as defensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He primarily runs a 4-3 scheme, using fast, undersized linebackers. Bates served as interim head coach for the Miami Dolphins during the 2004 NFL season.

"Fast, undersized linebackers"...sounds like the Bills...except for the "fast" part.

This would be so great. Reeves would be assistant OC with a lot of clout and input

I like it too. Sound veterans leading. I also like the lesser role idea as well given that Gailey is going to do OC duties week in and week out.

I believe Reeves actually signed on as a consultant in Dallas last winter, though he left after a few days because the Cowboys wanted him to work a specified number of hours each week, which he wasn't too happy about. He was willing to come back in a lesser role to help his friend Wade and apparently is willing to do the same for Gailey.

Dan was my #1 choice for HC. He's been in more Super Bowls as a player and coach than anyone else in Super Bowl History at 9. I'd love for him to be OC. Learned the ropes from Tom Landry and has led teams with good defenses.

He almost signed on with Dallas but backed out a the last minute because of some strange clause in the contract. It was rumored to be that he had to move to Dallas or that he would take over as HC if Wade were fired.

"Jerry was very good as far as everything was concerned," Reeves said. "It was one thing that came up that I felt was important for me but not being in the contract he felt like it was important to be there and that's basically it."

Anyway, yeah Dan. Would be a great addition.

Bring it on. Always liked Reeves and you can bet he would garner respect in an assistants role. I have said it before, but when you have accomplished great things as a coach it's easier to get players to buy into the system and stick to it when things aren't going so well. They can chat Gailey up all they want, but he's nearly 60 years old and has never won a playoff game as a HC in the NFL and was even fired at middling Georgia Tech. NFL players aren't going to unconditionally buy into what he is selling. One of the key reasons why this was the wrong hire. Adding a guy like Reeves to staff would add some luster and credibility to his program, if he has an appropriate job for him.

Buying in is not going to be a problem. Gailey is the coach and they are the players and he can fire them. It just isn't going to be a problem.

Now, if there are a couple of years of losing, you will start to have problems, but right now, there just won't.

However, having Reeves on staff would be terrific, not to convince the players of anything, but just because Reeves is a great coach. I doubt it will happen, though, because they would have reached out to him by now if they wanted him.

I'm not sure Chan would be comfortable with that. Does anybody think Reeves is just going to be content to be a coordinator or some sort of consultant?

If he accepts the job, yes. If he doesn't, no, that would be an indication that he wouldn't be comfortable with that.

That worked out well...

It did, actually. He was here from 2004 to 2005 and brought Losman's level up to the point where he was ready to have his very good 2006 season. After that, the cagy Steve Fairchild cleverly changed the offensive scheme to one which played to Losman's worst points and stayed away from his strong areas, and the result was a train wreck.

But Wyche did all right.

It sounds like the "good ol' boy" network is making a comeback, in Buffalo of all places. I'm all for it. I never hurts to have knowledegable football people in your organization.

They're getting the band back together.

Only this time the band is Skynyrd. And the city is Buffalo. Get ready to fly Free Birds...