Who do we bring in as a Defensive Coordinatior?

The Tomcat

here some names who are avail:

Jim Bates (Tampa)

Rob Ryan (Cle) Rex's brother

Dean Pees (N.E.) interviewed with denver

Rod Marinelli (Chi) D line coach....former head coach Det

Paul Pasqualoni (Mia)

Bob Sutton (Jets) L.B. coach

Keith Butler (Pit) L.B. coach

Al Groh ( georgia tech)

Will Muschamp (texas)

here are some more candidates:

By Allen Wilson

News Sports Reporter

Updated: January 20, 2010, 11:39 PM

Gailey spent his first day on the job trying to put together a coaching staff. Chances are good that finding a defensive coordinator is at the top of his priority list.

The Denver Post reported the Bills requested permission from the Broncos to speak with Mike Nolan, but he agreed to become Miami's defensive guru before the Bills introduced Gailey as their new coach. The fact that the Bills reportedly were interested in Nolan is another indication that Gailey is serious about trying to switch to the 3-4 defense.

Clancy Pendergast ran the 3-4 in Kansas City, though he was recently demoted after just one year as defensive coordinator. Pendergast also ran a 3-4 part of the time in Arizona in 2008. He was a defensive assistant under Gailey in Dallas, and they worked together for eight months in Kansas City in 2009 before Gailey was fired by first-year head coach Todd Haley.

Another coordinator with 3-4 experience is Tim Lewis, currently the secondary coach in Seattle. Lewis was Bill Cowher's defensive coordinator in Pittsburgh from 2000 to '03 but was fired because, according to reports, his style was not aggressive enough for Cowher's liking.

Jim Bates was Gailey's defensive line coach in Dallas and was Miami's defensive coordinator when Gailey ran the Dolphins' offense. Bates, who has been unemployed since being fired in midseason by Tampa Bay, is a proven coach, but he only runs the 4-3 defense. Bates also is the opposite of Gailey in a key way. While Gailey tailors his offensive system to the talent available, Bates' style of defense is not as flexible. He tries to make the talent fit the scheme he runs.

Gailey's defensive coordinator when he was the Cowboys' head coach was Dave Campo. But like much of that staff, he was a holdover from the Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer regimes. Campo, who succeeded Gailey as head coach in Dallas and is currently its secondary coach, is from the 4-3 school like Bates.

Jon Tenuta served as Gailey's defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. Tenuta's most recent job was as Charlie Weis' linebackers coach at Notre Dame. Tenuta has been mostly a 4-3 guy and has not worked in the NFL.

Another option could be Dean Pees, who stepped down last week as defensive coordinator in New England. He is being courted by Denver.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Nolan would've been huge. Now that he's gone, I have to say that no one else that has been mentioned in this thread excites me. They are mostly rejects.

PS- The Shanahan-Nolan partnership with Snyder's $$ is going to yield big results in Washington... mark my words.

Mike Nolan would've been huge. Now that he's gone, I have to say that no one else that has been mentioned in this thread excites me. They are mostly rejects.

PS- The Shanahan-Nolan partnership with Snyder's $$ is going to yield big results in Washington... mark my words.

Nolan signed with Miami....

Haslett signed with Shanahan....

You can run a tampa-2 from both a 4-3 and a 3-4. "Tampa-2" simply means two deep zone as your base D. Nothing would have to be "gutted" to make the conversion to a 3-4, but we don't have enough quality linebackers or monster NT to make a 3-4 work right now. The fact that we run "tampa-2" has nothing to do with it.

I don't watch film for 6 hours a day, but I can't think of one 3-4 defense that runs anything near a tampa 2 scheme in the secondary. It defeats the entire purpose of the 3-4 scheme. The 3-4 is all about bringing pressure from any conceivable angle and from any position . The tampa 2 base requires the mike LBer to drop 8-15 yards and cover the natural gap left between the safeties as well as the OLB's covering the flats....

I would like to see a full conversion to the 3-4, attacking defense.

I don't watch film for 6 hours a day................ 3-4 defense

Me neither. My memories of the 90's Bills and their 3-4 with a HOF DE and a talented LB corps was that teams with big O-lines ran on us all day long and couldn't stop it. Like SB 25 against the Giants. Actually all the SB's. So I'm not sure I'm sold on the 3-4.

This may be a reach, but former Buffalo rival, Bryan Cox did very well at DL coach for Cleveland. I think he has the leadership skills to be a future head coach. I wouldn't mind giving him a try

Great. He can give us all the finger again. Why don't we just give you the finger. I cannot believe you suggested his name. Dolt

Jim Bates

Defensive Coordinator Rankings:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...gs-lebeau-knows

EDIT: from June 2009

As a sidebar and sorry if it's already been pointed out elsewhere, Chan Gailey is listed as the #2 offensive coordinator in the league.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...kings-cams-best

I'm not particularly in favor of moving to the 3-4, even though Stroud just came out saying that we would play anywhere, even as a NT ... we don't have a true NT on the roster. Which means that we'd have to pick up two, the starter and a backup as well. Bates had a great rep until he flamed with the Broncs and Bucs, he runs a 4-3 but his run contain defense requires very specific personnel in order to work. We don't have the people, either, though you'd think it might be easier to pick up LBs rather that NTs in this league.

I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the guys out there ... obviously the more successful DCs have jobs already. If they act according to what they've said, look for the new DC to be an effective and proven teacher. This points away from some up and coming assistant. It is kindof strange that Bob Sanders hasn't found a spot anywhere, most of the staff has already found places. He is a 4-3 guy, good teacher, lousy HC but a decent DC. Certainly would be no sizzle with that hiring, though.

I don't watch film for 6 hours a day, but I can't think of one 3-4 defense that runs anything near a tampa 2 scheme in the secondary. It defeats the entire purpose of the 3-4 scheme. The 3-4 is all about bringing pressure from any conceivable angle and from any position . The tampa 2 base requires the mike LBer to drop 8-15 yards and cover the natural gap left between the safeties as well as the OLB's covering the flats....

I would like to see a full conversion to the 3-4, attacking defense.

The 3-4 is more versatile, but all it really means is that you have 3 down linemen and 4 linebackers. You can rush 3, send a linebacker and rush 4, send two linebackers (or a DB) and blitz, or zone dog from it.

But

You can just as easily drop into a cover 2 zone. Many teams do this. You guys really think that "3-4" means the cover-2 magically goes away? Teams were running cover 2 defenses long before tampa made it their base defense...and the only reason they did it is because their front 4 was so dominant that they could generate an incredible pass rush without ever needing to send a 5th guy at the QB.

^and as another poster pointed out, the 3-4 can be extremely UNaggressive, if your coordinator is, say, Walt Corey or Ted Cottrell. The 3-4 is not a magical aggressive scheme.

If you want aggressive, go double eagle (forty six) and let's have some fun.

here some names who are avail:

Jim Bates (Tampa)

Rob Ryan (Cle) Rex's brother

Dean Pees (N.E.) interviewed with denver

Rod Marinelli (Chi) D line coach....former head coach Det

Paul Pasqualoni (Mia)

Bob Sutton (Jets) L.B. coach

Keith Butler (Pit) L.B. coach

Al Groh ( georgia tech)

Will Muschamp (texas)

I know there was some concern around Pittsburgh when the Dolphins interviewed Butler for DC because he is seen as the heir apparent to LeBeau

This may be a reach, but former Buffalo rival, Bryan Cox did very well at DL coach for Cleveland. I think he has the leadership skills to be a future head coach. I wouldn't mind giving him a try

Adam, you often come up with the weirdest stuff..... :wallbash: