Russ Brandon - Is he the problem with our HC search?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand a guy like Cowher wanting to hand pick the perfect opportunity, but these coordinators are ridiculous. Personally, i have thrived when i joined a new company and the person i replaced was doing a really poor job (or the dept was doing poorly). Anything i did better....or above and beyond i was considered a great hire.

It's kind of like when Parcells went to Miami after a 1-15 season. He cemented his legacy in part because the Phins were at rock bottom. He knew it would not be hard to improve on that.

Also, look at Turner Gill when he came to UB. They were the dregs of D-1 football. The job was almost a no lose situation because even if he won 4 games his first year, he was awesome. Win 7 or 8 games at UB and he's a Hero. NOw look at him?

The Bills are sitting in that "can't lose" type of situation for any competent coach out there. Add to the fact Ralph and Brandon are surely going to do some spending to get this team to the next level. They have seen the status quo and it hasn't worked. I believe they've learned. These potential coaches really need to see this as a great opportunity to get in when the chips are down and make a big name for themselves. All the ingredients are there.

Most execs I speak with and have worked with generally feel like the quickest way to differentiate yourself, and what they found helped them rise to the top quickly, was the willingness to take the job nobody else wants. If you take on a disaster there is nowhere to go but up.

That said, there are a lot of reasons to decline a specific job. Maybe Schotty junior feels like he has a bit to learn before moving to the next level, maybe he knows he'll get the possibility someday and is in no hurry after what he was able to accomplish this season. Maybe he is in the queue to be Jets coach in a few years, loves having what looks like a franchise QB to be

I think part of the problem is that the Bills are always so mediocre. They've either been (7-9) or (6-10) for the past four years. Some say we could've easliy won 10 or 11 if we got a couple bounces; we have lost a lot of close games. However ... we've won a lot of close games, too. The Bills haven't whooped too many teams' butts in recent years, as easily as we could have won 11, we could have lost 13 or 14.

Either way ... we're middle of the road. Around a .500 team from year-to-year. Taking a job from a team that's (1-15) or (2-14) is easier to take because you're almost guaranteed an improvement from the previous year. You could even get really lucky like Miami a couple years ago. But an improvement is almost a given.

Not so with a team that's consistently middle of the road.

If Li'l Schott was to come to Buffalo and in his first two years went, say, (8-8) and even (9-7) ... the fans would run him out of town saying he's nothing but another Jauron (or Mularkey, or Williams).

The likelihood of that happening is too great, in my opinion.

I agree as much as we talk about how bad our team is, they are actually mediocre. There is room for failure which would be a slap in the face of a good reputation. If a coach is truly confident in his abilities to turn a team around he will balk.

Parcells, Vermiel have that confidence. Cowher doesn't. He wants to take over a winner as Norv Turner did. I think he has a case of Phil Jackson-itis.

He does have the reputation that will allow him to pick and choose.

Schott, lil Schott, and Cowher said weeks before we ask them that were not interested in returning or interviewiing. Maybe they meant it. Lets move on and get a coach that can win in here so when those bums do take a HC position, we can stomp the hell out of them.

If Buffalo is a 'resume killer,' then why was Wade Phillips given a chance by the team that demolished the Bills in the Super Bowl?

Gino In Saratoga

Probably because the Bills were a somewhat competent organization in the 1990s.

How 'bout a nice slice of pie instead?

I have put my faith in Jim Kelly for leading to us many a victories in 80s and 90s. Now I lay that faith in him to help us find and bring a competent HC to the great city of Buffalo. He will help RW, RB and BN find the right coach. He won't let us down.

May the force be with him!

(I know he doesn't really have a say but he is vocal about the team and this is the only thing keeping me sane from all the madness surrounding the Bills search)

We need a coach with no wife, kids, or family

Are you suggesting we kidnap the next coach's family... or kidnap a candidate's family in order to blackmail him into coaching the Bills? :thumbdown: I wonder if OBD has thought of that tactic. Git 'er done, Buddy!! :lol:

All things being equal you're right, but the fact is that we have less information than the league insiders here. Schotty got advice from one or more people to avoid the opportunity, and I'm sure he also got assurances that better opportunities would open to him if he sits tight. Agents like Bob Lamonte are steering their clients away from Buffalo and there is a reason. And the same thing is gonna happen with free agents this offseason - just wait for that shoe to drop.

Tomorrow is promised for no-one.

Should the Jets go 6-9 next year, those better opps may be several years down the line.

He is an idiot.

PTR I was yanking your chain. We need to let the process work out however this board goes crazy with every Adam Schecter report and tweet

True that... the sky is falling is running rampant. I was really only trying to understand his role in the organization better. If Ralph is truely the only issue at OBD, then god-speed him along the way so we can usher in a new golden age for the Bills franchise.

Every once and a while there are posts that appear to shed some light on the inner-workings of OBD through a variety of nameless sources. I guess I am like everyone else just scouring the board to learn what I can. It also is apparent that when folks get stressed out we turn on our own pretty quickly.

I usually look forward to Promo's post just in deference to the Rocket Ship 7 reference alone, and I know he has been posting for a very long time.

Perspective and reality dictates that we realize that as fans we are merely a flea on the a$$ (sorry Scott) of the elephant trying to steer it by screaming and yanking hairs. What will be will be, but I will still root for this team because I am probably as neurotic and pathetic as the rest of you. We are all mad because we realize that Ralph realizes this and laughs his way to the bank on our loyalty dime.

I'm with the post here that said,"Why set yourself up for failure?" and more so for unhappiness? It's better to deal with the devil you know.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a career that's in high demand. The situation I'm in now is not perfect but pretty dang close. It would take a lot for me uproot my family and our little stake in a very nice, fun city. There would have to be an astronomical raise in salary, a lot of control (ie a hands off boss) and a great city. There would be only 2-3 cities that IMHO fit the bill.

I'd also need to know that I'd have a good chance of success, funding and that it would be a nice place to raise a family.

With all that's gone on with the Bills the last few years (firings, good players being let go, an owner who is by no means hands off), i can totally see a coach remaining where he has been successful until he knows for close to sure that he can be successful elsewhere (infrastructure, personnel & resources). Right now the Bills can't guarantee any coach that. It would have to be a gigantic leap of faith and a belief that they can make steak from chopped liver if they had to.

Just my 2 cents.

C

ps. Do we even like Brian Schottenheimer? Or are we just upset that he turned down our interview? So we can then reject him because he isn't right guy. I suspect we just don't like being dumped but rather have a chance to dump the candidate.

I felt the same way with B Shotty, although their team is in the playoffs his playcalling against the Bills left a bit to be desired. When your running back is running all over us, you drop Sanchez back and pass into the teeth of our defense - the secondary... not smart much:). Not sure if that says anything more about the Jets or more about how weak the AFC East was this year.

Just getting a bit embarrassing when the available coaches with HC experience quickly turn down the team, and now coordinators are not even coming in to hear what the Bills front office is willing to offer. The reputation of OBD front office and owner must be just great... in coaching circles (sarcasm there - just to head off the flaming from those looking for a quick fix to their abuse needs)

I agree as much as we talk about how bad our team is, they are actually mediocre. There is room for failure which would be a slap in the face of a good reputation. If a coach is truly confident in his abilities to turn a team around he will balk.

Parcells, Vermiel have that confidence. Cowher doesn't. He wants to take over a winner as Norv Turner did. I think he has a case of Phil Jackson-itis.

He does have the reputation that will allow him to pick and choose.

Schott, lil Schott, and Cowher said weeks before we ask them that were not interested in returning or interviewiing. Maybe they meant it. Lets move on and get a coach that can win in here so when those bums do take a HC position, we can stomp the hell out of them.

So basically we are looking for a coach who has the balls and moxy to take this team to the next level? Can all these candidates be that scared of the bar that Jauron set over his tenure?

If that is the case who wants those skirt-wearing Mary's to coach our team?

I am not panicking as some folks seem to think - not really in my nature, but I always thought Ralph's reputation was mostly rumor... not so sure about that anymore if thats the thing thats scaring candidates away.

Maybe Russ Brandon will write his memoirs exposing the dirt at OBD someday. You know, like those folks who served in the White House with Bush when his regime came to and end. I might even read something like that - the drama that unfolded before the Maybin selection...

They'll find someone, and most folks will not be happy with the selection.

:thumbdown:

I think it went both ways. The Bills FO couldn't get it don't bringing a playoff worthy team every year but they were also bad coaches who deserve part of the blame. Just because they are great coordinators/X's and O's guys doesn't mean they're good in the big chair. As one example Mike Mularkey's Bills lost to backups against Pittsburgh with a shot at the playoffs in mind. To me that seems like a team that was ill-prepared and not focused which lands on the HC. JMO.

Have you ever considered that the Steelers' backups were demonstrably better than our starters? The main reason why the Bills lose is that they lack talent. It is as simple as that! :thumbdown:

So basically we are looking for a coach who has the balls and moxy to take this team to the next level? Can all these candidates be that scared of the bar that Jauron set over his tenure?

If that is the case who wants those skirt-wearing Mary's to coach our team?

I am not panicking as some folks seem to think - not really in my nature, but I always thought Ralph's reputation was mostly rumor... not so sure about that anymore if thats the thing thats scaring candidates away.

Maybe Russ Brandon will write his memoirs exposing the dirt at OBD someday. You know, like those folks who served in the White House with Bush when his regime came to and end. I might even read something like that - the drama that unfolded before the Maybin selection...

They'll find someone, and most folks will not be happy with the selection.

:thumbdown:

Ralph's miserly and meddling reputation is richly deserved. There is no secret about that. It is well known within the NFL. When a HC like Mularaky prefers a buyout rather than remain as a HC what does that tell you? What it tells me is that the HC has come to the realization that it is impossible to succeed within this very dysfunctional organization.

Buddy Nix is respected throughout the league, but are candidates being turned off because Russ Brandon is being retained at a high level after serving as GM and seems to have the ear of Ralph?

Are they concerned that they will not truely have the ability to build the team as they see best, too little money to spend on retaining or obtaining talent, or are folks just concerned that the succession of the organization has not been worked out?

I am not one for panicking and although I liked the name and family tree of Schotty Jr. the fact that they came out throwing against our defense did nothing to impress me in regards to his offensive prowess.

Buddy will get a good HC prospect in, but if it isn't a big name I don't think that it will soothe the troubled masses until we see that individual make some good moves for the team and prove he knows what he is doing.

I would prefer an organization structure where BOTH Buddy and Russ report TO RALPH. I don't think Buddy should have to report to Russ.

I would prefer an organization structure where BOTH Buddy and Russ report TO RALPH. I don't think Buddy should have to report to Russ.

I completely agree. But I think Russ is scared to death of the football part now. He got in over his head and now the hiring of GM is his way of backpedaling. Bottom line I think Russ will go with whatever Buddy wants. Ralph though is a diff story obviously.

I usually look forward to Promo's post just in deference to the Rocket Ship 7 reference alone, and I know he has been posting for a very long time.

Sorry for flakin' out a bit. The endless negativity gets to me. In fact I think I need to take a breather from TBD. Couple of days. Just get out of the habit of looking every hour for some HC news. Bad bad habit and it's making me a little nuts frankly.

PTR

Remarkable insight... as usual. :lol:

I get the played-out Mantra of all will be better when Ralph dies from ICE, and an unsubstantiated "No" from you.

I was actually hoping to get a response from someone who has some small insight into the Bills organization - then again, who isn't?

Well, IMO and nothign personal, it's a silly question. Brandon is very good at marketing. He isn't the GM. In his 2 years as the COO, he has some solid drafts (too early to tell for sure) and made some good hires (Nix). He inherited both the coach and QB. Most coaches probably don't know who Brandon is.

IMO, Brandon is probably the one who has even got the big names to talk to us in the first palce. Shananhan probably didn't have Buffalo on his radar yet walked away from the meeting very impressed with the presenation. Assuming Brandon isn't making picks, he is a very valuable asset to this organization. He is a local product who seems bright and is probably committed to making the Bills a winner & staying here long term.

So saying he is a problem is silly in my opinion. hope this answer appeases you great one. :thumbdown:

Guess I am not as quick as you :thumbdown:

Allowing for intervening mistakes made in the past, Ralph is like 200 years old and a multi-millionaire. If anything, folks that reach a ripe old age are more concerned with the legacy they will leave behind rather than obtaining more material things.

That being said, I would not be so naive as to think that I know what motivates Ralph in particular. Dick said he could correct things and Ralph gave him free reign even though the signs of disaster were evident to even the most casual observers. It was not until another crotchety old rival from the NFL owner's Country Club gave him the finger that he actually cared enough to blow the mess up.

We could have an ultra-competitive, willing to spend up the hilt kind of owner like Snyder in DC, but that really does not translate into victories on the field.

what also does not translate into victories on the field is playing 1 of 8 home games against a division rival in a foreign country, played during a playoff drive.

Any coach worth his salt wants to play for a championship.

Coaching the bills where you are starting behind the 8 ball because Ralph is more concerned about generating revenue becomes problematic

This is just one item which illustrates that ralph's priority does not include building a contender, either with players, front office or coaches.

I know people don't like facts getting in the way of a good rant, but....

Yes you are correct RW did fire him five days before the end of the seaosn when his contract ran out

and from RW's view JB didn't want to re-sign. My oopinion; JB knew the Bills were in salary cap trouble, players like Smith, etc were nearing the end, so he bailed. Was the marraige between him and RW growing stale, probably, but JB was a players GM, loved all the players and over paid for them. Now the Bills are in salary cap trouble, so he figures at year he takes off, likely already knowing SD was ready to sign him. Smith was JB's flunky, so he followed him out the door. Plus he tended to be a bit more hot headed and it seemed RW bothered him more.

Everyone around was praising the signing of TD, so don't try to blame RW on that one, at the time it appeared ot be a great move. Did he screw up with Levy, absolutely. Could he and BP have better worked things out, in hindsight sure, but even from somethings I've read BP has taken some of the blame there too.

Not saying RW has been great by any means but can't blame him for Butler or TD leaving.

Who installed the marketing man in his position? The goofy owner did. Who let Bill Polian go? The silly owner did. Who fired John Butler and A.J. Smith? The odd owner did. Who hired Tom Donahoe? The unpredictable owner did. Who hired the clueless Levy as his GM because he felt comfortable with him? The reclusive owner did.

The Bills are an embarrassingly dysfunctional organization because the baron owner is hideously incompetent. :thumbdown: