Russ Brandon - Is he the problem with our HC search?

I don't think it's a bad move at all to reject the Bills HC position. Look at our last few hires. Neither Gregg Williams or Mike Mularkey have gotten a shot elsewhere. Generally speaking, if you fail at your first gig you likely won't get another. This isn't always the case but more often than not it is. Given this it's very important that a "hot" coordinator pick a good situation.

Can anybody honestly say the Bills are a good situation? Look at our recent history. 10 years of losing with 3 HCs thrown in the scrap heap. Why would a young coordinator want this to be his first HC gig only to be the 4th HC thrown in the scrap heap never to be given another chance again?

Greg Williams is an amazing DC, Saints love having him. Mularky had an off year somewhat with the falcons.

Bills really ruined their careers.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Williams is an amazing DC, Saints love having him. Mularky had an off year somewhat with the falcons.

Bills really ruined their careers.

I think it went both ways. The Bills FO couldn't get it don't bringing a playoff worthy team every year but they were also bad coaches who deserve part of the blame. Just because they are great coordinators/X's and O's guys doesn't mean they're good in the big chair. As one example Mike Mularkey's Bills lost to backups against Pittsburgh with a shot at the playoffs in mind. To me that seems like a team that was ill-prepared and not focused which lands on the HC. JMO.

The problem is RALPH WILSON! Jesus man get it already. He should have cleaned house in the front office as well, then went out of the org and hired someone the coaching world and media respect as a GM. NOT promoted from within AGAIN going with a guy 'he knew'.

When ralph dies, THEN this team has a shot at being something

Damn man all your posts do is depress me. I hope Nix saves us all before you have a stroke.

I'm with the post here that said,"Why set yourself up for failure?" and more so for unhappiness? It's better to deal with the devil you know.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a career that's in high demand. The situation I'm in now is not perfect but pretty dang close. It would take a lot for me uproot my family and our little stake in a very nice, fun city. There would have to be an astronomical raise in salary, a lot of control (ie a hands off boss) and a great city. There would be only 2-3 cities that IMHO fit the bill.

I'd also need to know that I'd have a good chance of success, funding and that it would be a nice place to raise a family.

With all that's gone on with the Bills the last few years (firings, good players being let go, an owner who is by no means hands off), i can totally see a coach remaining where he has been successful until he knows for close to sure that he can be successful elsewhere (infrastructure, personnel & resources). Right now the Bills can't guarantee any coach that. It would have to be a gigantic leap of faith and a belief that they can make steak from chopped liver if they had to.

Just my 2 cents.

C

ps. Do we even like Brian Schottenheimer? Or are we just upset that he turned down our interview? So we can then reject him because he isn't right guy. I suspect we just don't like being dumped but rather have a chance to dump the candidate.

We will get a quality coach if he gets what he wants in player funds. He needs a commitment and if he doesn't get that commitment then he won't come.

Just so you know I am talking about Cowher.

your delusional.... doesn't matter what we commit to him he has no interest in coming here.

I think part of the problem is that the Bills are always so mediocre. They've either been (7-9) or (6-10) for the past four years. Some say we could've easliy won 10 or 11 if we got a couple bounces; we have lost a lot of close games. However ... we've won a lot of close games, too. The Bills haven't whooped too many teams' butts in recent years, as easily as we could have won 11, we could have lost 13 or 14.

Either way ... we're middle of the road. Around a .500 team from year-to-year. Taking a job from a team that's (1-15) or (2-14) is easier to take because you're almost guaranteed an improvement from the previous year. You could even get really lucky like Miami a couple years ago. But an improvement is almost a given.

Not so with a team that's consistently middle of the road.

If Li'l Schott was to come to Buffalo and in his first two years went, say, (8-8) and even (9-7) ... the fans would run him out of town saying he's nothing but another Jauron (or Mularkey, or Williams).

The likelihood of that happening is too great, in my opinion.

I think it went both ways. The Bills FO couldn't get it don't bringing a playoff worthy team every year but they were also bad coaches who deserve part of the blame. Just because they are great coordinators/X's and O's guys doesn't mean they're good in the big chair. As one example Mike Mularkey's Bills lost to backups against Pittsburgh with a shot at the playoffs in mind. To me that seems like a team that was ill-prepared and not focused which lands on the HC. JMO.

The fact people are saying their careers were ruined is just foolish though. I didn't know you had to be a HC to have a successful career.

The problem is RALPH WILSON! Jesus man get it already. He should have cleaned house in the front office as well, then went out of the org and hired someone the coaching world and media respect as a GM. NOT promoted from within AGAIN going with a guy 'he knew'.

When ralph dies, THEN this team has a shot at being something

Fire the scouting departent and pro staff before the draft and free agency??

Nobody wants to come to the armpit of the NFL. This is getting bad.It`s all about Ralph. Uncertain future and a 91 yr old owner. Thats it .Nothing more to be said.Ralph needs to give these guys a plan of the Bills future. Their are coaching jobs that come up EVERY year. These guys will wait it out another year for a more stable franchise. :thumbdown:

Why set yourself up for failure? I wouldn't accept a top position in a company if I knew I'd ultimately look worse when it fails. Afterward, you have a tougher time getting any job. Stay with somewhat competent organizations and keep building credibility until a solid, stable offer comes along.

If Buffalo is a 'resume killer,' then why was Wade Phillips given a chance by the team that demolished the Bills in the Super Bowl?

Gino In Saratoga

Face it, Nix reports to Brandon. I don't care what Ralph says, CEO oversees all, and Brandon certainly has more say in football decisions than Brandon's groupies understand.

Wilson said as much in the Nix press conference. He said that Brandon would oversee the football operations as well.

You know, The Brian Shittenhammers of the world can kiss Buffalo's ass!!!!! Pretty disrespectful for him to turn a franchise down that is interested in him being their coach. It's not like The Bills are asking him to be the offensive coordinator. Heck, you'd think he'd listen to the Bills just because his old man played for the Bills.

He's busy with the playoffs and all, he could have atleast had the Bills visit him to hear what we have to say! Go to hell dude, just more reason for me to hate The Jets. I'm always looking for more reasons!!!!

What does anyone think about Fewell being the 'worst-comes-to-worst' coaching candidate?

Gino In Saratoga

His legacy? Ok so far it is fielding a losing team 4 out of 5 decades, firing the greatest GM of our time, screwing over a well respected guy in John Butler, and know across the league as being a meddling owner that won't field a competitive team.

Great Legacy

His legacy, lets see how about this for starters: His work helping to establish the AFL, his roll in saving the Raiders and Patriots* by lending them money, his work with the league on revenue sharing and the CBA, his voting against every single teams relocation, his loyalty to the common fans and to small markets, his practicing what he preaches by leaving his team in Buffalo for 50 years, his refusal to join up with the likes the new gaurd NFL owners who put their own needs in front of those of the league or their fans.

Oh and that legacy got him elected in the NFL Hall of Fame.

So what have you done with your life so far?