Russ Brandon - Is he the problem with our HC search?

I'm probably more culpable than Russ Brandon. For heaven's sake the guy is trying to do what you screaming babies want. But he's not a miracle worker. He has to deal with Ralph on one end and Ralph's reputation in the NFL on the other. But hey, 'eff him anyway, right?

PTR

PTR I was yanking your chain. We need to let the process work out however this board goes crazy with every Adam Schecter report and tweet

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is RALPH WILSON! Jesus man get it already. He should have cleaned house in the front office as well, then went out of the org and hired someone the coaching world and media respect as a GM. NOT promoted from within AGAIN going with a guy 'he knew'.

When ralph dies, THEN this team has a shot at being something

The problem I have with the selection of Buddy Nix as the GM is not that he was selected but the third rate process in which he was selected by. One Buffalo newsman (Jerry Sullivan) claimed that Russ Brandon had a full list of GM candidates for the critical position to interview. The owner didn't personally know the candidates on the list so he went with the in house selection of Buddy Nix.

The very reclusive oener of the Bills doesn't have much knowledge of what is going on in TODAY'S NFL. So he is incapable of selecting a quality candidate outside of his small organizational realm because he is not comfortable with "outsiders". The cycle of stupidity is predicatably reoccurring because the owner is out of touch.

I do believe that Buddy Nix is much more knowledgeable about evaluating talent than any of the other bozos that the very fatigued owner has hired over the past decade. But it is still a major challenge to overcome the destructive presence of a very clueless owner.

The problem is RALPH WILSON! Jesus man get it already. He should have cleaned house in the front office as well, then went out of the org and hired someone the coaching world and media respect as a GM. NOT promoted from within AGAIN going with a guy 'he knew'.

When ralph dies, THEN this team has a shot at being something

ummmmmm - no iceman - sorry.

this is a league that values knowledge - and as far as football smarts go - brandon is lacking - therefore he does not get the respect of the "good-old-football-smart guys" in place around the league.

but let's say something good about brandon as well - he is very good at marketing - very good - and he is respected for that set of content knowledge around the league.

mr. wilson is not the problem - brandon as a football guy is.

this is a league that values knowledge - and as far as football smarts go - brandon is lacking - therefore he does not get the respect of the "good-old-football-smart guys" in place around the league.

but let's say something good about brandon as well - he is very good at marketing - very good - and he is respected for that set of content knowledge around the league.

Brandon never was a football guy. Never claimed to be a football guy. Never went out and signed any players. Never did any of the stuff you are blaming him for.

PTR

Brandon never was a football guy. Never claimed to be a football guy. Never went out and signed any players. Never did any of the stuff you are blaming him for.

PTR

Did Ralph go out and sign players?

I seem to remember Brandon being pretty gd involved when the Bills went after TO.

PTR

Are you Russ Brandon's lover? It's unbelievable that the person closest to Ralph, the new CEO of Ralph's biggest toy, has no input, no knowledge, no opinion -- indeed is literally nothing but a mouthpiece in a stuffed suit -- about anything remotely football related. It is known that he was handling the Jason Peters situation. I heard it from his own lips.

Are you Russ Brandon's lover? It's unbelievable that the person closest to Ralph, the new CEO of Ralph's biggest toy, has no input, no knowledge, no opinion -- indeed is literally nothing but a mouthpiece in a stuffed suit -- about anything remotely football related. It is known that he was handling the Jason Peters situation. I heard it from his own lips.

I feel the attacks on the guy are ill-founded and distract from the real problems of this franchise...which are Ralph, Wilson and Junior.

PTR

There's a problem? Whuuuu?

Exactly. A couple weeks from now, the Bills will hire Leslie Frazier as their Head Coach, who is very highly regarded League-wide, and it won't matter who interviewed when or how....

JDG

Yet Brandon loved to take pictures with Stroud, TO, et al. He never shied away from the camera when it was the offseason and Buffalo was 0-0. As the team inevitably faltered in 08 and 09, Mr. Smithers couldn't be seen or heard from.

Brandon's promotion to GM and then to the higher job of CEO is funny. Only in Buffalo can a non-football guy working in a football position put out a bad team and get promoted.

Who installed the marketing man in his position? The goofy owner did. Who let Bill Polian go? The silly owner did. Who fired John Butler and A.J. Smith? The odd owner did. Who hired Tom Donahoe? The unpredictable owner did. Who hired the clueless Levy as his GM because he felt comfortable with him? The reclusive owner did.

The Bills are an embarrassingly dysfunctional organization because the baron owner is hideously incompetent. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
Yet Brandon loved to take pictures with Stroud, TO, et al. He never shied away from the camera when it was the offseason and Buffalo was 0-0. As the team inevitably faltered in 08 and 09, Mr. Smithers couldn't be seen or heard from.

Brandon's promotion to GM and then to the higher job of CEO is funny. Only in Buffalo can a non-football guy working in a football position put out a bad team and get promoted.

Says it all right there...

His legacy? Ok so far it is fielding a losing team 4 out of 5 decades, firing the greatest GM of our time, screwing over a well respected guy in John Butler, and know across the league as being a meddling owner that won't field a competitive team.

Great Legacy

Well said. You summed up 50 years...perfectly. I couldn't agree more.

It's a freak show, always has been, always will be. He lucked out by hiring Polian and he was an ass for firing him.

Ralph gets we he deserves.

The unfortunate part is we are stuck, as fans, until her dies...basically. That is a sad statement.

Well said. You summed up 50 years...perfectly. I couldn't agree more.

It's a freak show, always has been, always will be. He lucked out by hiring Polian and he was an ass for firing him.

Ralph gets we he deserves.

The unfortunate part is we are stuck, as fans, until her dies...basically. That is a sad statement.

Problem is when he Dies we have no clue what happens with the Franchise does it get sold to highest bidder and if it does it is the end of the NFL in Buffalo

I think the problem is this message board. Russ and Ralph know this board is stocked with NFL experts who have careful though out opinions about the next HC of the Buffalo Bills.

They have to take their time to ensure they can review the plethora of knowledge and fact based opinion here at TBD so that the right coach can be selected.

That isn't necessarily true. Coming into a bad situation for an up and coming young coordinator isn't always a good move, even though it is a chance to be a head coach. Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey were up and comers and still good coordinators, but their names haven't come up in HC conversations, because of their unsuccessful tours in Buffalo, it is almost like they got set back to "GO" and had to start their resume all over again.

I can understand a guy like Cowher wanting to hand pick the perfect opportunity, but these coordinators are ridiculous. Personally, i have thrived when i joined a new company and the person i replaced was doing a really poor job (or the dept was doing poorly). Anything i did better....or above and beyond i was considered a great hire.

It's kind of like when Parcells went to Miami after a 1-15 season. He cemented his legacy in part because the Phins were at rock bottom. He knew it would not be hard to improve on that.

Also, look at Turner Gill when he came to UB. They were the dregs of D-1 football. The job was almost a no lose situation because even if he won 4 games his first year, he was awesome. Win 7 or 8 games at UB and he's a Hero. NOw look at him?

The Bills are sitting in that "can't lose" type of situation for any competent coach out there. Add to the fact Ralph and Brandon are surely going to do some spending to get this team to the next level. They have seen the status quo and it hasn't worked. I believe they've learned. These potential coaches really need to see this as a great opportunity to get in when the chips are down and make a big name for themselves. All the ingredients are there.

I don't want to be sour grapes about my team getting turned down, but seeing a guy like Schottenheimer turn down the Bills reminds me of Gary Kubiak. Kubiak was the OC during Denver's 2 SB seasons and reportedly turned down many HC opportunities holding out for the right one. He finally took the Houston job and narrowly avoided being fired after 3 mediocre seasons. So far, the perfect job has done nothing to enhance his star.

Face it, Nix reports to Brandon. I don't care what Ralph says, CEO oversees all, and Brandon certainly has more say in football decisions than Brandon's groupies understand.

No established coach wants to come to Buffalo where they know they'll have to go through Brandon AKA Smithers AKA a glorified used car salesman.

Yes, Wilson is the ultimate cause of all of this, but anybody that doesn't think Brandon being CEO and having Nix report to him is scaring people away is crazy.

I don't want to be sour grapes about my team getting turned down, but seeing a guy like Schottenheimer turn down the Bills reminds me of Gary Kubiak. Kubiak was the OC during Denver's 2 SB seasons and reportedly turned down many HC opportunities holding out for the right one. He finally took the Houston job and narrowly avoided being fired after 3 mediocre seasons. So far, the perfect job has done nothing to enhance his star.

Nothing says that the one you take will work out perfectly. But you can improve the odds by weeding out the sure turds first.