Cowher the Cowher is Cowher for Cowher in Cowher's Cowher

bills_red

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name.'"

I thought someone would comment on that. When I read that, my first reaction was that Ralph meant "We don't want to hire a coach just because of a flashy name" and it just didn't come out that way.

What's all the fuss about? Does anyone REALLY think Ralph gives a rat's behind what we think about who he should hire? So root for Cowher, Billick, whoever, if it floats your boat. Cuz it's Ralph's team and Ralph's money and he'll do whatever he wants. When you look at the last 50 years, he's hired more duds than not. C'est la vie.

Thinking further on a passage from jw's article tonight. Follow me here:

"Declining to place a timetable on the search, Wilson said 'we don't want to rush into hiring a coach just to be hiring somebody quick.' He then added: 'We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name.'"

By definition, entering into talks with Cowher totally invalidates the literal meaning of Ralph's statement that "We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name." Obviously, the Cowher name IS splashy and they DO want him. What Ralph was really trying to say is, "we don't want to RUSH into hiring a coach with a splashy name." - Thus, trying to buy LOTS of time by creating the illusion that the Bills could be really beating the bushes, big time, in this search.

In this game of chicken, Ralph isn't granting an interview because he's bored - he does it to put out the desired message and gain some benefit out of it. So the SOLE reason for Ralph granting an interview today, was to put the idea out there that this could take a long, long time. I think he's trying to buy someone some time. For what purpose.......

Here's a theory - what if the Bills and Cowher have completed all the necessary groundwork to reach a tentative agreement that says, IF no other more appealing vacancy opens by X date, then Cowher and the Bills have a done deal. However, if another more attractive team comes along before X date, Cowher is free to sign with that team by X date and in that event, the tentative Cowher-Bills deal is automatically invalidated.

Admittedly, if the Bills consented to something like this, they have knowingly set themselves up as the ultimate "fat girl/safety net". But think about it. If Ralph has decided to go "all in" for Cowher in one last attempt to literally "go out in a blaze of glory", AS IN, MAKE COWHER HIS PARTING GIFT TO THE FANS, how could Ralph possibly make his HC vacancy more attractive to Cowher at this stage, than to grant him the ultimate latitude. By allowing Cowher the option of finding another, more attractive place to land if one opens up within a timeframe that still will allow the Bills to continue the search with minimal competition for HC vacancies, then the Bills have absolutely leveraged their current situation to the max in order to land the one guy they really covet.

Crazy theory maybe, but it fits Ralph's supposed burning commitment to winning, Cowher's desire to coach this year but yet to find the best possible situation, Cowher's continued lack of a clear response back to the Bills, and Ralph's attempt to buy time with today's interview.

Flame away, all.

I got bored half-way through this post! It's quite simple actually...He may or may not become our coach and none of us average football nuts really knows donkey squat until someone is officially named as the Bills coach...I am analytical by nature but some of u guys are just killing this subject to death! Patience will have to be a virtue here.... :w00t: