Bobby April gone

scribo

Already been fixed.

Also, try churning out several thousand words of copy a week without a single typo and see how far you get. Not sure I've done it yet, after a year and a half at my paper.

I hear you. I can't read a book or newspaper any more without spotting typos or errors all the time. Even advertising boards with no more than a dozen words (in foot high letters) all too often have mistakes.

Of course, all my work is prefect...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record: 10th KO return average, 26th punt return average, 9th kickoff cover average, 11th punt cover average. No TDs allowed. Moorman's net: 40.2 yards per punt, 8th.

So, minus the punt-return average (profoundly impacted by Parrish's apparent desire to play his way off the team) and keeping in mind the fact that McKelvin's injury left KO duties to Fred Jackson, remaining in or near the top 10 is now "horrible." So noted.

Shush.

Facts should never rear their ugly head when discussing the Buffalo Bills... :thumbsup:

(On occassion it seems posting facts appear to be against board policy around here).

They were just talking about April on Sirius. Said that he might be the first ST coach to get a million dollar offer and they speculated that the Giants might be a landing spot for him (and if DJ becomes D Coord., there's that connection too).

IMO, April and ST is a prime example of how the Bills have been operating - with no clear direction - and I have no problem with it changing. Yes, it's nice to have top ranked ST year in and year out. However, I'd rather have a top 10 offense and defense.

So, I have no problem cutting April loose if it helps bring in a better HC who keeps players based on their ability to contribute to the offense or defense, as opposed to the ST.

I really love how Ralph says he's clearing house, half the postsers don't believe him; then he does. And now half the posters are upset about it. It continues to prove the theorem that you can make some people happy some of the time, but all the people you can make.. errr.. the happy people are sometimes.. uhh .yeah we're all happy. strategery. ....or something like that.

Maybe I'm nuts, but special teams is the 3rd phase (in order of importance) of a gameplan. Why does everyone think Bobby April walks on water? And where have our stellar special teams gotten us in the past decade? It's kicking the ball, making blocks and tackling kick returners. The formations and blocking patterns are practically identical from team to team all around the league. I'm sure if we have another losing record next year, there will be hundreds of posts blaming Ralph for letting Bobby April go.

Shush.

Facts should never rear their ugly head when discussing the Buffalo Bills... :thumbsup:

(On occasion it seems posting facts appear to be against board policy around here).

That post contained a typo, you know. Editor-at-heart that I am, I corrected it. :lol:

And just as one typo stands out in Tim's copy (or our own), McKelvin's opening-night screwup and Parrish's bonehead plays set the tone for how people perceived the performance of the Bills' special teams this year. When we're so used to watching the top unit in the league, all of a sudden, 10th -- although still a darn sight better than any other part of the team excepting the pass defense -- looks like "horrible," and April acquires the "overrated" tag.

Adding one more set of numbers: in April's six seasons here, the Bills special teams were directly responsible for scoring 13 touchdowns (six kickoff returns, five punt returns, two Moorman-to-Denney fake FGs) while allowing just one kickoff-return score. In the six seasons preceding his arrival, the Bills managed three ST touchdowns and gave up six. (That's regular-season, mind you, and thus does not include one notorious kick return we're all thoroughly sick of seeing every January.)

Thanks, Coach April, and good luck with whichever team signs you.

That post contained a typo, you know. Editor-at-heart that I am, I corrected it. :thumbsup:

And just as one typo stands out in Tim's copy (or our own), McKelvin's opening-night screwup and Parrish's bonehead plays set the tone for how people perceived the performance of the Bills' special teams this year. When we're so used to watching the top unit in the league, all of a sudden, 10th -- although still a darn sight better than any other part of the team excepting the pass defense -- looks like "horrible," and April acquires the "overrated" tag.

Adding one more set of numbers: in April's six seasons here, the Bills special teams were directly responsible for scoring 13 touchdowns (six kickoff returns, five punt returns, two Moorman-to-Denney fake FGs) while allowing just one kickoff-return score. In the six seasons preceding his arrival, the Bills managed three ST touchdowns and gave up six. (That's regular-season, mind you, and thus does not include one notorious kick return we're all thoroughly sick of seeing every January.)

Thanks for adding some sane commentary to this mix. Bobby April's special teams here have been consistently at the top of the league. As many have pointed out, injuriues to key special teamers definitely played a role in this years numbers. Not too mention, the injuries overall forced back-ups into starter roles further depleting resources to field a strong unit this year. There is a reason he is the only coach to fornally opt out of their contract so far. He can and will get another job. Would not be surpirsed if he was a candidate for some head coaching jobs at the college level. Congrats on a great run here Bobby. Anyone ripping Bobby April does not have a clue.

Sorry if there are any typos.

It is absolutely no surprise at all that he quit. The biggest surprise was that he wasn't named the interim head coach when Jauron got canned. They named him assistant head coach and then named a D-Coordinator whose rush defense was the worst in the NFL as the Interim. The Special Teams dropped off a little this year, but over the past 5-6 years, April was the only one on any of the Bills staffs that had any consistency. He will have a few choices of where to land this year.

Tim's comment about April being very upset in not getting the interim HC job was noteworthy. Granted, this is a ST coach, but he carried the Assistant HC tag as well. Either way, it's hard for a ST coach to become a HC. The guy is 56 and probably knows he doesn't have another 15 years in the league.

As much as many like April, the franchise needs to turn the page on the DJ era and allow the next HC to build their own staff.

IDK if I mentioned this b4, but it did occur to me at the time that the Rooney Rule may well have specificially/directly screwed April.

It would've certainly made sense for him to be named Interim HC.

Basically, by naming Fewell HC it assures of him "interviewing" for the vacant HC position thereby allowing for the hire of a "name" like Cowher or Shanny w/o having to through an entire "proper" interview process.

...trust me, I know the pressure is great....but that is what you are paid to do...not saying Tim or you make a large amount of typo's or mistakes, just in general....again, I know I am picking nits....

Definitely some nit-picking, Pooj. Especially in relative terms. Okay, there's a typo (and a pretty small one, to boot), but with all the work these writers do, if the only thing they do is screw up the spelling of a four-letter word, they consider themselves lucky. I spent a handful of years working for a small newspaper in Nowhere, NC and I'm reminded of a day when we had a deadline approaching fast and we were in need of some much-needed filler on the editorial page. The editor asked an assistant editor to whip up something schmaltzy to fill the space fast, so he wrote a quick editorial praising a sheriff in a nearby town for breaking barriers... not only being the first female sheriff in the area, but for being black as well. It was a glowing editorial, except for the fact that the female sheriff wasn't black. Oh, you could maybe argue that she kind of looked black, but she wasn't.

Just saying...journalism is a wicked job. Lori may disagree, but as much as writers hate to have a typo in their story, it's about the most harmless error they can make when the pressure is on.

Oh, I may still swear at myself over my own typos -- and I've e-mailed everyone from Tim to Gaughan to Carucci when I've seen something they may want to edit -- but I don't disagree with you at all, LA. Last time I really let one bother me was about a year ago, until someone I consider a voice of reason brought me in off the ledge with a shrug of his shoulders and an offhand, "Welcome to the business." Stuff happens.

(Just so long as the desk doesn't bust the headline, right? <_< )

April was gone whether he was made interim HC or not. Had he been made IHC, he'd have been fired, as he's not HC material. And since he was passed-over for IHC, he's pissed. <_<

Time for everyone to move on. Start over. Exorcise the demons of the "aughts" or "naughts" or "naughties." What a ****ty decade.

thats a shame... good luck to the best coach on our staff over the past few years.

roscoe was a top returner? you mean that there are players who fumble their fair catches every play?

or dont move up to catch short punts...or endless other mistakes..

Lori, it wasn't my intention to cause a feud, I guess I still have some sour grapes over the demise of CC and the fact that, specifically, the media is falling over themselves about papers being shut down. Then you see the kinds of examples that we have been seeing recently....'journalists' trying to be the first to report things and doing nothing more than 'stealing' from blogs that have absolutely no slice of credibility or source.....

....not sure if you saw a reply to another thread about an article in an Arkansas about holiday returns at various retailers...there was a reference to Circuit City's return policy

the part about the in-store signs being hard to read

here is where this 'journalist' got his information....

an article from 2004....word for word.....

so I cannot buy into the argument you made about the pressure of deadlines...I know I am probably comparing apples to oranges, but sadly this reporter is associated with you, Tim Graham etc....due to his occupation....

I enjoy Tim's work, and what I have read I enjoy yours....Keep fighting the good fight...I know I was always willing to defend Circuit City in the face of intense criticism, and I see that you do the same for your industry...hopefully you are not alone, its the only way to make things better!!!!

Oh, I may still swear at myself over my own typos -- and I've e-mailed everyone from Tim to Gaughan to Carucci when I've seen something they may want to edit -- but I don't disagree with you at all, LA. Last time I really let one bother me was about a year ago, until someone I consider a voice of reason brought me in off the ledge with a shrug of his shoulders and an offhand, "Welcome to the business." Stuff happens.

(Just so long as the desk doesn't bust the headline, right? <_< )

I second that for all the reasons you stated so eloquently. Sorry the way things went down, coach April. Your squad consistently performed well and for that you should take a bow. Hope we don't end up missing you too much.