Bobby April gone

scribo

Oh, I may still swear at myself over my own typos -- and I've e-mailed everyone from Tim to Gaughan to Carucci when I've seen something they may want to edit -- but I don't disagree with you at all, LA. Last time I really let one bother me was about a year ago, until someone I consider a voice of reason brought me in off the ledge with a shrug of his shoulders and an offhand, "Welcome to the business." Stuff happens.

(Just so long as the desk doesn't bust the headline, right? <_< )

I am again reminded of a journalism tale from a writer who did a feature story about a young girl who had all these accomplishments, and he took the reader through the story before ending it with something dramatic like "...because you see, little Sally is blind." He proudly turned in the story, and it appeared in the paper with a headline something along the lines of "Blind Girl Accomplishes A Lot."

By the way, you can't throw a football for a living without throwing some picks, and you can't write for a living without having some typos.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one last thing....you need to start to worry when people don't take the time to correct mistakes...once that happens, it means no one cares.....

Oh, I may still swear at myself over my own typos -- and I've e-mailed everyone from Tim to Gaughan to Carucci when I've seen something they may want to edit -- but I don't disagree with you at all, LA. Last time I really let one bother me was about a year ago, until someone I consider a voice of reason brought me in off the ledge with a shrug of his shoulders and an offhand, "Welcome to the business." Stuff happens.

(Just so long as the desk doesn't bust the headline, right? <_< )

I thought all the coaches were fired yesterday?

Yes. No. Maybe, but only on days that end in Y.

(Non-sarcastic answer: all semantics. They technically remain under contract, but are free to pursue other opportunities... which I'm sure the Bills have heartily recommended, since it would free the team from having to honor the final year of said contract.)

Ridiculous. Other teams would've taken a harder line and at least tried to force him to stay. But this is the same organization that traded away a top-five left tackle. Even when it blindly stumbles onto success, it is too stupid to recognize it and willingly casts it away. And the sniveling, drueling masses who applaud at any firing, like it's some sort of public execution or exorcism of evil, contribute to the madness at OBD.

Ralph, please sell.

Ridiculous. He had an option in his clause he negotiated when he got his promotion to Assistant Head Coach which he exercised when he had the right to do so. The was nothing the Bills could do about it and if they attempted to try some legal trickery to try to keep him it would hurt chances of signing a new coach due to the bad press with no guarantee new head coach would want to keep him on staff.

Oh and the mentioned LT sat out all of training camp and went into season out of shape last year resulting in him be ineffective for good portion of season. He also had a minor injury and sat out of end of season; the same player was reported doing other things, among them playing golf, while too injured to play.

Tuesday please follow another team and stop the stupid sniveling and drooling.

Seriously, do any professional reporters have or use editing tools anymore? I understand that spell check would not have caught this, but you just see way too many of these little errors occur....I know this is nit picking and I should focus on the subject matter, but it is happening over and over and over and over.... :thumbsup:

I agree Poojer that journalism standards have dropped. When I was assistant to editor in 80's the editor told the reporters, copy editor and assistant editors that he was recording any errors and they would be taken in consideration during review time. Even those doing ad copy and classifieds were under scrutiny. During this period they did not have the currently available resources - automatic spell checkers, software to check syntax and on-line references - to help do their job.

Today it appears that copy comes directly from the writers without editing and when problems are pointed out the articles often it is treated as nit picking rather than anything wrong with product. I sent an e-mail to an editor regarding an article which incorrectly listed a player as playing for Bills. His response was the article was written fine and the article regarding the player was valid even if the player was not playing professional football anymore.

Lori, I don't buy that excuse....that is his job...of course we all make mistakes, but like I said, too many errors. My former boss, at my last company that went out of business because of too many mistakes, used to say...."we all seem to find time to do things over, why don't we take the extra time to do it right the first time"....trust me, I know the pressure is great....but that is what you are paid to do...not saying Tim or you make a large amount of typo's or mistakes, just in general....again, I know I am picking nits....

Your entire reply is a grammatical nightmare, but that is OK since you are an amateur. :thumbsup:

Shush.

Facts should never rear their ugly head when discussing the Buffalo Bills... :thumbsup:

(On occassion it seems posting facts appear to be against board policy around here).

He is right Lori. Only trolls post facts!

I write stuff for my company, around 100k words so far. I regularly typo stuff even after rereading it multiple times and showing it to multiple people. The mind skims over it and sees what it expects to see in context. Only the anal like myself and a few others pick up on the typos in other people's work. A game of numbers, in that the writer writes x number of words with y number of errors vs z number of complaints.

Now my local paper is on the horrid side of that equation.

Thank you for being one of the best coaches we have had in a long time Bobby. We should have made every effort to keep you.

ST's were horrible this year.

If by horrible, you mean still better than 25 other teams in the league, since the Bills ranked 7th overall, then yes.

April has been so good for so long, that anything less than being the best special teams in the league by far looks horrible.

If the Bills were 7th this year, imagine just how bad other teams in the league are and then pray to God we don't have a ST coach who sucks coming in...

Copy editors? Assistant editors? Ah, the good old days...

Yeah I remember the old days of newspapers even doing typesetting in basement being paid per piece of type and being penalized for every mistake. Editing used to be a career path back then. I agree that was the good old days when putting type to paper required being able to think.

April was a good coach and earned the right to go where he wanted to and let the new front office and coaches determine who can salvage the Bills and what priority different parts of team will get. The new head coach can even hire Danny Smith as Special Teams Coordinator if he does not think Special Teams is a priority.

Yeah the fact he was passed over for HC will likely mean that he will never choose to coach in Buffalo again. He was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal decade.

Indeed, he was. Because of tactics that the NFL eventually decided were unfair or unsportsmanlike, and made said tactics illegal. And without the use of those tactics, I don't think we returned even one to the endzone, did we? And the penalties and mistakes and craziness from his players....he needed to go. And unless our new coach would be someone who really doesn't care alot about ST, he'd probably get rid of April along with the rest of the bathwater, anyway.

I love how every player and coach on the Bills suddenly becomes "one of the best in the NFL" after they leave the team. <_< While they are here they suck out loud.

PTR

Ted Cottrell was going to be a great head coach when he left the Bills. Then he was canned a couple of times as an assistant. Then he went to the UFL and put together a record setting season-never won a game. April may be the next Ted Cottrell.

If by horrible, you mean still better than 25 other teams in the league, since the Bills ranked 7th overall, then yes.

April has been so good for so long, that anything less than being the best special teams in the league by far looks horrible.

If the Bills were 7th this year, imagine just how bad other teams in the league are and then pray to God we don't have a ST coach who sucks coming in...

as good as April and our ST are, we still have not had a winning record in years. I prefer a 7th rated offense or defense.