Glazer reporting entire staff dismissed

ILoveBFLO

No. I got together with him when he came to Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and he said things have been very strange since Jauron got let go. He described it as a bunch of people trying to steer the Titanic. No one seemed know what was happening and several people were trying to take control. They had no discussions about the future for the most part and the office was very tense.

Interesting - we've been hearing the same whispers out of OBD for an entire decade. That description is eerily similar to what we heard out of Mularkey when he quit on the team.

Ralph, please sell.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I got together with him when he came to Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and he said things have been very strange since Jauron got let go. He described it as a bunch of people trying to steer the Titanic. No one seemed know what was happening and several people were trying to take control. They had no discussions about the future for the most part and the office was very tense. As I said before, he was told back when Shannahan was interviewed that he would be given a chance to interview for the new coach but I am not sure if that still applies. FWIW, he also said April was very pissed that he didn't get the interim HC job. Apparently he wasn't a fan of Fewell because he cut a couple of his best ST players.

Great info but how can Fewell cut players? He wasn't HC until later and not sure he cut anyone when he took. Did he tell Jauron to cut players in camp?

Great info but how can Fewell cut players? He wasn't HC until later and not sure he cut anyone when he took. Did he tell Jauron to cut players in camp?

Apparently he would ask (tell?) DJ to cut players that he didn't think fit into his defense. With a couple of players April petitioned Fewell and Jauron to keep them because of their ST expertise but Fewell did not help him keep the ones he wanted. It was only a passing comment but it gave me the impression that April was a bit of an outsider.

Apparently he would ask (tell?) DJ to cut players that he didn't think fit into his defense. With a couple of players April petitioned Fewell and Jauron to keep them because of their ST expertise but Fewell did not help him keep the ones he wanted. It was only a passing comment but it gave me the impression that April was a bit of an outsider.

Thanks. That makes sense.

That DOES change things a lot. Maybe Ralph told Buddy to fire everyone and then, as everyone was cleaning out their offices, he realized he was going to have to PAY all of them not to coach. "Buddy? This is Ralph. Forget what I said before. What did I say before? I forget. Oh yeah. Don't fire them all, just tell 'em they can look for new jobs. Just do it."

gee....that shows how much all those reliable media experts know (Glazer, Scheffter, Mort, Associated Press, etc...)

Man, I just decided to stop obsessively checking for Cowher/coaching updates. Well, maybe to reduce my obsessive searches at least. There is just no reliable info out there.

Odd because they definitely were told to clean out their offices and leave the building. My friend said he was cleaning out his office and spending time with his family, I didn't think to ask if he was actually fired or not but I assumed from his tone that he was.

"Clean out your office and leave the building" means "There's a chance we'll invite you back but that's the next coach's decision."

The Bills can say they didn't fire anyone but everyone in the coaching ranks knows the story. The next guy makes the decisions on their future.

Man, I just decided to stop obsessively checking for Cowher/coaching updates. Well, maybe to reduce my obsessive searches at least. There is just no reliable info out there.

i'm with you......i think i'll start with once an hour, instead of every 5 minutes....lol

gee....that shows how much all those reliable media experts know (Glazer, Scheffter, Mort, Associated Press, etc...)

This is why reports like this need to be read carefully, and the messenger has to be considered. Schefter didn't report on this at all. Glazer broke the story and got the gist right, but missed on the details, which doesn't surprise me. As near as I could tell, every other media outlet that repeated the story was just passing along Glazer's incorrect report, not doing their own reporting based on their own sources.

Wonder if the Bills are just attempting to soften the language as CYA so the Fewell interview looks less Rooney-ish? But if they're under contract, then they're under contract I guess. Hmm...

Nah, the outright firing never made a ton of sense. Everyone was under contract for 1 more year, which you still have to pay when you fire them. But if anyone is retained by the new coach, they'll need a new multi-year deal, so you'll wind up double-paying them. Maybe not fully double, unless their agent is really good, but the point is that you don't actually execute the firing until you're sure the new coach doesn't want them.