Nix Move is Growing on Me (Slowly)

BillsNYC

The Bills should have hired a fresh set of eyes at GM from another team that's actually built a Super Bowl Champion, but what's done is done. At least Nix has a strong resume. The Brandon promotion ticks me off, he should NOT be the CEO of the franchise which gives him final say on decisions, including those in the football department.

First off, Brandon has been WAYYY overrated. There was nothing impressive about the TO signing. It sold tickets, so what? Anybody could have made a simple move like that. The Toronto thing is a joke, it was more Rogers throwing money around trying to get an NFL team. Brandon has done a terrible job making it successful and has been nothing short of embarrassing. And let's be honest, ticket sales are more about loyal fans trying to keep their team here, not genius marketing.

That said, Brandon is a glorified used car salesman who got on Wilson's good side and was happy to pose in pictures with TO and be front and center in the offseason taking credit wherever he could, but once the team became an embarrassment vanished behind closed doors and took no accountability.

Nix reporting to Brandon is laughable, a salesman with no football knowledge will have final say on all football decisions.

That folks is the worst thing that could have happened, just next to Brandon playing make believe as a GM the last 2 years where the team has played the worst football seen in 20 years. In the end, I'm convinced they went with Nix because no serious outside GM/Coach would share power with a guy like Brandon. The Bills would have been better off dropping Brandon and going after serious GM.

The Bills should have hired a fresh set of eyes at GM from another team that's actually built a Super Bowl Champion, but what's done is done. At least Nix has a strong resume. The Brandon promotion ticks me off, he should NOT be the CEO of the franchise which gives him final say on decisions, including those in the football department.

First off, Brandon has been WAYYY overrated. There was nothing impressive about the TO signing. It sold tickets, so what? Anybody could have made a simple move like that. The Toronto thing is a joke, it was more Rogers throwing money around trying to get an NFL team. Brandon has done a terrible job making it successful and has been nothing short of embarrassing. And let's be honest, ticket sales are more about loyal fans trying to keep their team here, not genius marketing.

That said, Brandon is a glorified used car salesman who got on Wilson's good side and was happy to pose in pictures with TO and be front and center in the offseason taking credit wherever he could, but once the team became an embarrassment vanished behind closed doors and took no accountability.

Nix reporting to Brandon is laughable, a salesman with no football knowledge will have final say on all football decisions.

That folks is the worst thing that could have happened, just next to Brandon playing make believe as a GM the last 2 years where the team has played the worst football seen in 20 years. In the end, I'm convinced they went with Nix because no serious outside GM/Coach would share power with a guy like Brandon. The Bills would have been better off dropping Brandon and going after serious GM.

You have it very wrong. Brandon's promotion was for the business side of the operation, has nothing to do with football. From a business perspective Brandon has done a great job keeping Buffalo profitable.

If you've got some other candidate for CEO, I'd be interested in hearing it - but Russ Brandon somehow managed to sell a whole bunch of jerseys and a whole bunch of season tickets with no talent on the field. He'll continue to do that from the CEO position. Brandon takes decisions away from Ralph. Nix is in charge of Sundays.

Owner Ralph Wilson, Jr.: Good afternoon everyone. I’m here to let you know I’m still around (laughing). But, seriously, I’m here to introduce somebody that we needed for a long, long time, something that the fans and everybody in the area, and myself, have wanted. And that’s a General Manger of Football. We really needed somebody who knew all the aspects of football, and along with Russ (Brandon) who was our Chief Operating Officer, we went over a list of people who might be eligible and good to the Buffalo Bills and as a General Manager of Football Operations only. Has nothing to do with marketing and advertising and tickets or anything like that, it’s just going to be football. He will hire the new football coach and oversee him and the whole operation connected with football.

I like a few things with this:

1) He is already renowned as a talent evaluator

2) He understands that he and the new coach are a team. He was the only civil bridge between AJ and Schotty in San Diego when it blew up.

3) Its not just building through the draft, its the philosophy he espoused--he mentioned the line coaches, the development of Diehlman in SD, the development of the QB--All things we need.

He has a great reputation.......I am only pissed that we didn't give him the job a year ago when he came back.

By the way--watch Ron Rivera move quickly to the top 2 or 3 of this coaching search.....

Brandon will have no say in personnel decisions, thats the whole reason he is not GM anymore.

Nix may have to go to Brandon before they write a check, thats about it.

and there u have it folks... same **** different person. let's see the "big" changes that are coming. I'm guessing the promote the dynamic duo of modrak and guy to supereme overlord of football air quality checking.

If you've got some other candidate for CEO, I'd be interested in hearing it - but Russ Brandon somehow managed to sell a whole bunch of jerseys and a whole bunch of season tickets with no talent on the field. He'll continue to do that from the CEO position. Brandon takes decisions away from Ralph. Nix is in charge of Sundays.

That's what I took out of it too. Now the entire football operation can be run without Ralph being involved in any day-to-day capacity.

So if Brandon wasn't around and Nix reported to RW himself, you could say the same thing that Nix is reporting to a guy with no football knowledge RW himself.

Brandon helped us steal $78 million from Toronto and prove they aren't a NFL threat; consistently is hiring guys (like Nix) to improve operations; and just sold out an entire season of a 5-10 team that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade in a declining rust belt city.

He is better at his job than you are at yours. :flirt:

Ralph summed it up best himself: " We need a lot of luck".

As you can tell by listening to him and looking at him; He doesn't know what the hell he is doing!!! He's throwing darts and hoping one sticks. Lets just hope that Nix makes a LUCKY coaching selection.

Brandon helped us steal $78 million from Toronto and prove they aren't a NFL threat; consistently is hiring guys (like Nix) to improve operations; and just sold out an entire season of a 5-10 team that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade in a declining rust belt city.

Alot of times I dont agree with you..but your dead accurate on this one.

He is better at his job than you are at yours. <_<

:flirt: Couldn't have said it better.....Brandon knows how to market....his new position is where he should have been all along.

Bill, did you hear how Ralph jokingly asked Brandon during the press conference whether his new title represented a promotion? To me it's clear that Ralph's intent is to allow Brandon to save face, to shield him from the football side of the operation, and to cement his role as leader of the business side of the operation. Nix is clearly in control of the football operation now.

Don't get hung up on Nix reporting to Brandon, either. When it comes to football judgements, Brandon will not butt heads with Nix, and if he does it will only be in cases where business considerations override the pure football considerations (implementing a decision by Ralph).

Bill, did you hear how Ralph jokingly asked Brandon during the press conference whether his new title represented a promotion? To me it's clear that Ralph's intent is to allow Brandon to save face, to shield him from the football side of the operation, and to cement his role as leader of the business side of the operation. Nix is clearly in control of the football operation now.

Don't get hung up on Nix reporting to Brandon, either. When it comes to football judgements, Brandon will not butt heads with Nix, and if he does it will only be in cases where business considerations override the pure football considerations (implementing a decision by Ralph).

Bingo!

<_<

Nix was assistant GM for the CHARGERS until just before the last draft. That is fresh enough for me.

I guess there are some people in HELL that if offered Ice Cream would complain about the flavor.

Owner Ralph Wilson, Jr.: Good afternoon everyone. I’m here to let you know I’m still around (laughing). But, seriously, I’m here to introduce somebody that we needed for a long, long time, something that the fans and everybody in the area, and myself, have wanted. And that’s a General Manger of Football. We really needed somebody who knew all the aspects of football, and along with Russ (Brandon) who was our Chief Operating Officer, we went over a list of people who might be eligible and good to the Buffalo Bills and as a General Manager of Football Operations only. Has nothing to do with marketing and advertising and tickets or anything like that, it’s just going to be football. He will hire the new football coach and oversee him and the whole operation connected with football.

The conundrum with this is that it is a business. He will have limits placed on him by the business and by his bosses. The question will be if these will be the same sort of limits that the Bills have imposed the last decade or not. For example, will they spend the going rate to get a good, complete, and competent coaching staff? Will they pay market values to keep their own players? Will they continue to stack the deck against themselves with cash to cap?

Any idiot can say, "We need to get players like Peyton Manning." The rubber has to meet the road somewhere though. Hopefully, Ralph is serious and the bean counters will not be cutting solid football players out from underneath the football operation based on nothing more than their latest spreadsheet numbers.

Quoted for truth

Is Buddy Nix friends with Rusty Jones?

Just crossed my mind considering our

annual megamojo injured reserve list.

The very thinly veiled accusation that the strength and conditioning dept was a serious problem and the fact that Rusty worked for the 90's Bills that Nix were a part of? Yeah, I think that crossed more than a few minds. Especially with Lovie Smith on borrowed time in Chicago.

Quoted for truth

Brandon has done a nice job with the business side, following in Donahoe's shoes. Donahoe actually turned the marketing of the franchise around and hiring Brandon was part of that. Donahoe actually began selling the Bills as an experience and not just another game.

However, Brandon as a football GM has been a horror show. Who was the GM the extended Jauron? Who was the GM when Jauron was brought back, against all logic, to be the HC again this season? Who was the GM when the team lost it's 26 year old franchise LT for a couple maybes? Who was the GM when the team dumped 4 OL starters which caused the team to open the season with the least experienced OL the entire NFL has seen in the past 40 years? Epic short term failure. And yeah, BillsNYC is right, he cowered from the media when it became blatantly clear he had taken a bad situation and turned it into a complete clusterf*ck. He was not accountable, which is probably because he's not used to being a complete idiot at something and didn't know how to handle it. But that he was.

But as a marketer he is excellent. In addition to the money directly gotten from the Toronto deal, if you are in the stadium every week it's very clear that there are more fans from Toronto in the stands than there were even a few years ago. That has helped keep the place sold out, not just the locals. Selling out this season, an obvious abortion waiting to happen, is almost unbillievable. I will say though, Bills gear is cold product this year. I haven't seen less Bills gear being worn around WNY than I've seen in the past couple months since prior to the SB era. The place is sold out, but morale is very low.

I like the moves, which amount to little more than a re-org of the management structure. We got a good GM with a very nice resume running the football side of things, and as Dick Drawn said above, Russ Brandon seems like a very solid businessman.

So as we wake today to greet 2010, the Bills have a strong football man running the football side of the operation and a strong businessman running the business side of it.

Thas something we didnt have yesterday and is a VERY nice improvment.

I have read that Nix reports to Brandon, including BillsDaily.com

the reality is they both report to Wilson. the Nix thing is fine. they weren't going to get a Scott Pioli- type anyway with Ralph still around. Now we'll get a relatively unknown or 2nd tier coach and just more forward (I guess), because no top NFL coach is coming to the Bills with Ralph still around and ownership/franchise location still up in the air. it is what it is.