How to FIX the RUN DEFENSE

toddgurley

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to admit, Rolando McClain is a beast and if he were available I'd take him in a heartbeat. In my view he is a lock to be at least a good pro with the capabilities of becoming a great one.

In regards to Cody, I would like to have him for sure, I think he could be had in the second round, and I'm thinking there is a decent chance that whoever we pick up as our coach for next year, will most likely run the 3-4 as his base defense, and considering we don't have a pure NT, he would be a logical selection.

yet again, the defence is not that big of a concern as people make it out to be. The critical spot on this team that needs a major overhaul is the offence.

Teams may run on the bills alot, but the defence still does the most important thing its there to do, keep the team out of the endzone. The offence is so bad that it can't win games when the defence keeps them in the game. I'm not saying that the Bills defence couldn't be improved, but without a better offence, the Bills will just lose even lower scoring games. Indy uses this defence, and they have not had a dominant defence, but they win cause the offence can put the ball in the endzone rather easily.

Yep. The rules are tilted in favor of the passing teams. Need a good QB. Power running game is 1970's football. The stats for QB's and receivers are onthe rise. There are reasons for this. The Bills defense also has a lot of injuries, yes they need a couple linebackers, good linebackers are found in the 3rd and 4th rounds pretty regularly. This offense would kill ANY defensive counterpart, just wear them out because they can't get off the field AND because defenses are fueled by EMOTION, and this offense just kills their spirit.

When you know the offense sucks, it's gotta be hard to put your body on the line. It's just smashing your head against a wall.

Better yet, take his teammate:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...&id=4619628

Senior cornerback Javier Arenas described what it's like as a tackler when McClain arrives to finish off the guy with the ball.

"You black out for a second," Arenas said, "and try to figure out what truck hit you. You see him walking away. OK, it's him."

..."He's got that gift of being able to analytically process information and react to it as fast as any guy I've ever been around," Steele said. "There are a lot of ways to teach players -- in the classroom, on the board, with video, practice reps. Some guys have to do it full speed. You can pass Rolando in the hall and say, 'In this formation, in this defense we need to do this,' and it's done.

"I've never coached but two like that," Steele said. "One of them was Sam Mills, who played 12 years in the NFL and was All-Pro several times. And Rolando."

6'4" 258lbs. 4.6 40. Any questions about his speed were answered when he ran Johnny Demps to the sideline.

Big

Strong

Fast

Smart

Hits like a truck.

This is clearly the player that should be our first round pick.

If drafted would clearly be the best player on the defense.

The rest of the picks should be on the OL and DL depending on what we do in free agency.

If we can take this guy in the early second round take him. HE is the kind of guy we need a big body who can just eat up space with Stroud, Cody, and Williams plus another vet like Vonnie Holiday at DT our run D would be at lot better and much more legit up front.

I hope this guy does poorly in work outs and his stock falls to the second round. BUT I doubt that this guy falls past the mid first round (Too many teams trying for a 3-4 looking for a anchor) I think that this guy has Ted Washington written all over him. I can only hope he gets over scouted (Much like Oher did last draft) and NFL teams feel that he can't play more then 2 downs (I will take this guy as a 2 down player).

Another scenario is that Cody drops to the lower 1st round and the Bills trade up to get him (Much more likely that he could fall to pick 26ish and the Bills trade up.

Agreed. IMO, our needs and priorities are clear - OT, QB, LB, DT, in that order. However, what position gets drafted first and second, I think, depends upon what they do in free agency.

I am on the fence on this one... watching teams eat up over three quarters of the clock ripping off one 6 to 15 yard run after the next doesn't do our offense any favors. And the offense is horrific at converting 3rd downs.

Top flight LT prospects are hard to come by so I would take a flyer on one early (no Texan's thank you very much), then nab the next best run-stopping mauler. I don't know if I am sold on QB until after this team has a coach with a plan and the ability to execute it AND an offensive line that could give the kid a chance to grow without getting killed.

yet again, the defence is not that big of a concern as people make it out to be. The critical spot on this team that needs a major overhaul is the offence.

Teams may run on the bills alot, but the defence still does the most important thing its there to do, keep the team out of the endzone. The offence is so bad that it can't win games when the defence keeps them in the game. I'm not saying that the Bills defence couldn't be improved, but without a better offence, the Bills will just lose even lower scoring games. Indy uses this defence, and they have not had a dominant defence, but they win cause the offence can put the ball in the endzone rather easily.

yeah we only need 4 front seven players---we are in great shape

Anyone who has watched the Buffalo Bills knows that our Run D (or lack of) may just be the worst in modern day football history. With that being said, its obvious the unit needs some major changes (scheme, personnel, etc). I personally feel the cover 2 is a joke of a defense. I hate the bend but dont break philosphy, and the use of "undersized players with high motors." I want a defense that attacks, has size, and speed (who would'nt).

Also with the location of our team being in Buffalo, NY it is ESSENTIAL that we be able to atleast somewhat stop the run. (Obviously our cold weather and wind makes it difficult to throw so visiting teams will run) As we seen in late season games the past couple of years. (i.e 2007 bad weather games vs CLE week 15 and NYG week 16)

Here our some current Bills defensive stats (As of Dec 6 from nfl.com):

Rush Yards allowed per game: 172 per game (32nd in nfl)

Total Yards allowed per game: 360 per game (23rd in nfl)

Pts allowed per game: 21 pts per game (17th in nfl)

As you can clearly see from that stats above, the lack of a run D is killing us. How do we fix that? There are many ways (like changing scheme) but as far as personnal wise-DRAFT TERRANCE MT. CODY

MT CODY BIO

6'5 365 LBS

Career Stats

2009 25 tackles 5.0 for loss (-10)

2008 24 tackles 4.5 for loss (-14)

• Finalist for the Lombardi Award

• Semifinalist for the Bednarik Award

• Midseason All-American by both Sporting News and CBSsportsline.com

• Selected as the AT&T All-America Player of the Week vs. Tennessee with two blocked field goals

• Anchored a defensive line that is allowing just 68.2 rushing yards per game to rank second in the nation

• No individual has rushed for 100 yards since Cody arrived at Alabama

Cody was a 2 years starter at Alabama. Where he played vs some of the top talent in college football. While at Alabama he played in a 3-4 defense scheme there. So this was give the Bills the versaitily of choosing either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme to run for that year. Worst case scenerio Cody could learn and eventually replace DT Marcus Stroud, who is aging. Best case scenerio, he steps in, along side Stroud and we run a 3 man rotation of Stroud, Williams, and Cody. And this would give us some depth, as you see how much luck we seem to have with staying heathly.

I'd love to get Cody, although I don't see it happening.

But the run defense, while bad, isn't as bad as it appears. The defense has fairly consistently over the course of the season started very strong and worn down around the time they hit 33 minutes on the field and been slaughtered in the fourth quarter because the offense couldn't hold the ball.

As I say, though, I'd love to get Cody.

The last item of note is that Cody's draft prospects seemed to get a bit of a shot in the arm when he blocked two critical field goals in Alabama's win over Tennessee. As impressive as those were on their face, in both cases Cody was part of a double-team. He didn't defeat either blocker on his own, so the blocks should be seen as more of a collective effort than a singular effort. That he took his helmet off after the second field goal while the play was still live (something that should have cost the Crimson Tide a penalty) also indicates that he may have a bit of the bad part of Leon Lett in him.

As far as I am concerned, Joyner's analysis of Cody is worthless.

The guy spent zero time researching the details surrounding Cody. If he did, he would have found out, despite what he and Gary Danielson thinks,

THERE WAS NO PENALTY TO CALL ON BAMA DURING THAT PLAY.

Try researching and verifying the details first, idiot.

They probably said the same thing about Ngata

They didn't. Ngata was always capable of penetrating, so he was never thought of as a two-down guy.

He also wasn't thought of as particularly overweight. Which is why Ngata went top 15 and Cody will go very late in the first or possibly somewhere in the second.

Suh plays Stroud's position. Great guy, but he's at one of the only positions on the field where we don't have a need.

Suh will likely not be available when we pick and we should under no circumstances trade up this year. We need to trade our first pick this year for a second and third or fourth this year and a second next year. We are so far away from fielding a decent product that we need to think 3-4 years and we need picks. Hopefully we could pick this AL guy up, put him on a diet (like Bruce), and also draft two solid OTs in second and third round this year or maybe a LB. The following year we take a franchise QB in the first and shore up any gaps in our OL and DL with our two picks in the second. Some breaks in FA and maybe by year 3 we are back in the playoffs. I know this is off the subject of the Run Defense, but we should not be discussing first rounders because 1) they are terribly pricey 2) our track record and 3) we need picks and a complete overhaul to fix the run defense and everything else.

Indy uses the Tampa 2 with far greater talent. The Bills have many positions to fill on offense and defense. To me LB is the greatest need on defense. Need more pressure on the QB and guys to plug holes on run plays. On offense a LT and QB.

Suh plays Stroud's position. Great guy, but he's at one of the only positions on the field where we don't have a need.

If he was available, you wouldn't take Suh....because we have...Stroud?

Suh is going to be a star in the NFL. Stroud is the best guy on OUR line, but.....come on!

Anyone who has watched the Buffalo Bills knows that our Run D (or lack of) may just be the worst in modern day football history. With that being said, its obvious the unit needs some major changes (scheme, personnel, etc). I personally feel the cover 2 is a joke of a defense. I hate the bend but dont break philosphy, and the use of "undersized players with high motors." I want a defense that attacks, has size, and speed (who would'nt).

Also with the location of our team being in Buffalo, NY it is ESSENTIAL that we be able to atleast somewhat stop the run. (Obviously our cold weather and wind makes it difficult to throw so visiting teams will run) As we seen in late season games the past couple of years. (i.e 2007 bad weather games vs CLE week 15 and NYG week 16)

Here our some current Bills defensive stats (As of Dec 6 from nfl.com):

Rush Yards allowed per game: 172 per game (32nd in nfl)

Total Yards allowed per game: 360 per game (23rd in nfl)

Pts allowed per game: 21 pts per game (17th in nfl)

As you can clearly see from that stats above, the lack of a run D is killing us. How do we fix that? There are many ways (like changing scheme) but as far as personnal wise-DRAFT TERRANCE MT. CODY

MT CODY BIO

6'5 365 LBS

Career Stats

2009 25 tackles 5.0 for loss (-10)

2008 24 tackles 4.5 for loss (-14)

• Finalist for the Lombardi Award

• Semifinalist for the Bednarik Award

• Midseason All-American by both Sporting News and CBSsportsline.com

• Selected as the AT&T All-America Player of the Week vs. Tennessee with two blocked field goals

• Anchored a defensive line that is allowing just 68.2 rushing yards per game to rank second in the nation

• No individual has rushed for 100 yards since Cody arrived at Alabama

Cody was a 2 years starter at Alabama. Where he played vs some of the top talent in college football. While at Alabama he played in a 3-4 defense scheme there. So this was give the Bills the versaitily of choosing either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme to run for that year. Worst case scenerio Cody could learn and eventually replace DT Marcus Stroud, who is aging. Best case scenerio, he steps in, along side Stroud and we run a 3 man rotation of Stroud, Williams, and Cody. And this would give us some depth, as you see how much luck we seem to have with staying heathly.

Good points, all. <_< Nice post.

Have you seen Stroud's play of late? He's been terrible. He's not even being double teamed most of the time. I don't know if the guy is playing thru an injury or what, but he has not been good.

There are a group of very good DT's in this pile and we should draft the best one available. A two down run-stopper doesn't sound bad to me and right now we have a 4 down no stopper defensive line. If there is a better run stopping tackle go for him, but our sights in the first round should be on a top DT. Every other pick should be based on shoring the offensive line, including perhaps a tight end. I for one might take a flyer on Tebow for the tight end spot in the 3rd or 4th.

Got to admit, Rolando McClain is a beast and if he were available I'd take him in a heartbeat. In my view he is a lock to be at least a good pro with the capabilities of becoming a great one.

In regards to Cody, I would like to have him for sure, I think he could be had in the second round, and I'm thinking there is a decent chance that whoever we pick up as our coach for next year, will most likely run the 3-4 as his base defense, and considering we don't have a pure NT, he would be a logical selection.

Totally agree, I would have no problem taking McClain with what should be our top 8 pick. This guy is a beast, think Patrick Willis on steroids. Guy hits like a mack truck & could run sideline to sideline. Take him in the first, take Cody in the 2nd, or even trade up for him & move Maybin also to LB. You got a top 10 defense if you do that. We will have to worry about the offense in 2011. Defense gets fixed first(it is the easier one to fix).