The Day The Football Died

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flute Man would've left the field with an insurmountable lead!

I watched that game last week up until the final 18 seconds, then I turned it off. The real pivotal play in that game was Rob Johnson juggling the snap and then tripping over his own feet and fumbling the ball out of the back of the EZ. Gave Tennessee a huge lift and also gave them ball back with excellent field position on the 30. More time than not a safety yields the safety scoring team 5 or 9 because they end up with good field position after the free kick and are fired up. Tennessee scored their only TD of the day right there. No way Flutie does that. Our defense holds them to 9 points and we win gong away.

I watched that game last week up until the final 18 seconds, then I turned it off. The real pivotal play in that game was Rob Johnson juggling the snap and then tripping over his own feet and fumbling the ball out of the back of the EZ. Gave Tennessee a huge lift and also gave them ball back with excellent field position on the 30. More time than not a safety yields the safety scoring team 5 or 9 because they end up with good field position after the free kick and are fired up. Tennessee scored their only TD of the day right there. No way Flutie does that. Our defense holds them to 9 points and we win gong away.

Right, cause Flutie NEVER turned the ball over!!

I know right. I watched that game too, and remember Rob Johnson leading the team down the field (with only 1 shoe on I'd like to add) to get his team into the lead.

RJ didnt play ST's so to state that DF would have won that game is just rediculous. They left the field with the lead, lets blame the horrible ST's for not paying attention and keeping their heads up for that play.

Oh yeah, as close as it was, it was still a backwards pass. People need to get over that too. It sucks, but get over it.

Bills release RB Thurman Thomas, DE Bruce Smith, and WR Andre Reed

This was the beginning of the end, folks. This was a month after Homejob Throw-forward. I'm glad that at least all 3 have reconciled with the team.

I remember I was working in Buffalo at the time. About 8 inches of snow fell, but I had to go have a few after work to drown sorrows. This was the first time I met anyone from the Wall in person, as Ann (who went on to fame with the Coach on WGR) told me she'd be at Caputi's on Sheridan doing the same thing.

Those guys were the heart and soul of the team (Even though at the time they weren't productive enough) BUT as pointed out the team was in cap hell at the time and they were overpaid (Except for Bruce) for the production they were giving at the time. Thurman hadn't had a productive season in 3 or 4 years and Reed hadn't been really hall that productive for 2 or 3 seasons as well.

Bruce was the one guy they should have kept. Even though he had 7 sacks that last year (Keep in mind as a 3-4 DE thats pretty good by average NFL standards for the 3-4) he was more then productive and should have been a Bill even in his still productive twilight years. Also when Bruce was in Washington he had a 10 sack season the next year and had another year there where he had 9 sacks. Bruce should have broke the record while in a Bills uni.

I disagree. Butler's (mis-)handling of this, as well as the RJ/DF situation, I believe led to his decision to leave the team. In the process he totally tanked the 2000 draft, knowing he was out of here. Then the dominoes started falling - Donahoe's arrival shortly followed by Gregg Williams, etc etc etc.

Corey Moore OLB 5-11, 222, 4.6 Mel Kiper called him "perhaps the greatest defensive player in College Football this past season."

:angry:

Even so, RJ left the field with the lead...

And with :20 seconds left on the clock. The clock should have been taken down to about :04 seconds, that way once the FG was in the air, the time expired and game over.

RJ could have won the game.

Flutie would have won the game. Don't believe me, check Wade Phillips quote on the top 10 QB controverses.

Ditto, right?! The Flute Man (who shall be refered to as THE MAGIC FLUTE henceforth in this post) was a RAMBLIN' SCRAMBLIN' man! The Magic Flute would've handled the snap... run 'round end and probably turned a busted play into a 35 yard gain. Game, Set, Match B-LO!

And people whining how the Bills got "jobbed"...which they didnt...but whatever.

Of course, Reed's foot was NOT out of bounds in the Houston comeback game, though. :angry:

Actually, Reed was completely in bounds- Don Beebe was out of bounds

And with :20 seconds left on the clock. The clock should have been taken down to about :04 seconds, that way once the FG was in the air, the time expired and game over.

RJ could have won the game.

Flutie would have won the game. Don't believe me, check Wade Phillips quote on the top 10 QB controverses.

They both stunk, that's why we kept changing QBs. The whole debate was ludicrous. I take Van Pelt over either

Just ask the Miami Dolphins- That fumble defined his career and the lives of his fans- all losers

I've read this on here over and over. How was this supposed to work? RJ completed a pass on the sidelines to Reed or somebody. There were 20 seconds left. We were out of timeouts. So what do we do, run a play to run some time off and then, quick line up and spike it? All in 16 seconds? What would have happened if the ball carrier got tackled and a Tennesee guy just laid on him until the clock ran out? Or we don't lineup in time or get a false start. I can only imagine what would have happened if we hadn't gotten the field goal off because we ran out of time. We did the right thing. Should have just done a regular kick or at least a deep squib instead of that dumb short kick. And we should have been able to stop that runback.

And Flutie should started that game. Thanks Ralph.

I've read this on here over and over. How was this supposed to work? RJ completed a pass on the sidelines to Reed or somebody. There were 20 seconds left. We were out of timeouts. So what do we do, run a play to run some time off and then, quick line up and spike it? All in 16 seconds? What would have happened if the ball carrier got tackled and a Tennesee guy just laid on him until the clock ran out? Or we don't lineup in time or get a false start. I can only imagine what would have happened if we hadn't gotten the field goal off because we ran out of time. We did the right thing. Should have just done a regular kick or at least a deep squib instead of that dumb short kick. And we should have been able to stop that runback.

And Flutie should started that game. Thanks Ralph.

BS, johnson should of called one more play sneaked to get it where christie wanted it get everybody to the line & spike the ball. There was plenty of time to do that.

There is no direct connection between then and now. Losing is not a curse or a sickness that you have no control over. That thinking is a horrible self fulfilling prophecy that Buffalo needs to shed immediately. And it will help when the Sabres bring home the Stanley Cup!

Amen!